Online Sewing Class: Fit the Tee to a T

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6732 (Five blouse variations in one)

Reviewed by:LornaJay

photophoto

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

LornaJay said... (2/24/08 10:20 AM) Reply
I think NL have reused the pattern number from an old pattern. It showed the correct pattern when I first posted the review, but now doesn't!
Vintage Joan said... (2/8/08 9:30 PM) Reply
(Note: This and the other two 6732 reviews by Dr LJN are apparently for a different pattern than the one shown in the NL pattern info. above, which is a buttoned shirt, not a pullover top.)
AnneM said... (4/4/07 1:39 PM) Reply
I gave up on my New Look top - although I'm not top heavy at all. Maybe some decorative and function vertical darts or pin-tucks under the bust / at the waist? If you don't like a higher v-neck, perhaps one w/ that height but some decorative stitching would un-frump it? (Haven't tried that myself.) (I see that CM_Sews made a similar suggestion.)
CM_Sews said... (4/1/07 2:34 PM) Reply
Re: Waist Darts: I have a RTW button-down-the-front blouse that fits me wonderfully due to waist darts. It has a total of 8 darts, each one measures 1/4 inch wide (so each removes 1/2 inch of fabric). About 7 inches long, mid-point of the dart at the waist line, 2 under each bust (about 1 1/2 inches apart) and 2 under each shoulder blade (about 2 inches apart). That's 4 inches removed from the waist and a bit of shaping over the hips. Each dart is topstitched right next to the stitching line and is a 1/4 inch fold on the inside of the blouse, tapered at both ends. Best fitting blouse I own. No dart bubbles, either -- each individual dart is very small.
LornaJay said... (3/29/07 9:43 AM) Reply
I think the low V-neck thing is a US v. Europe different a lot of the time. If you draw a line from underarm to underarm, any neckline above that is unlikely to show any cleavage at all - and I and many of my fellow Europeans see that as a slightly frumpy look. No offence intended!
j222b said... (3/26/07 7:27 PM) Reply
A keyhole neckline sounds interesting...so many of those v necks are cut too low anyway (from the many comments on PR...)
LornaJay said... (3/26/07 4:56 PM) Reply
Wow, that Nordstrom blouse is a) very expensive and b) in acrylic. I tend to do my catalogue shopping with Next or La Redoute, neither of which move in such stratospheric price points! I agree that a scoop or Vneck will look better, and am trying to find a look which is professional enough to help me avoid unwanted attention in the pub while still being flattering. Perhaps a keyhole neckline?
j222b said... (3/26/07 12:30 PM) Reply
Here are some thoughts for another pattern. My library copy of Sam Saboura's "Real Style" says if you have a full bust --wear V necks and scoop neck tops (more scoop than this top you're working on)--"these draw vertical or slanted lines down the center of your body, minimizing your bust". Cheers!
j222b said... (3/26/07 11:18 AM) Reply
Hope this works for you in non-sheeting fabric. It looks like this blouse (Nordstrom) & I like the necklace the model is wearing with it.
Donna H said... (3/26/07 10:59 AM) Reply
Great job with the fitting. It looks really nice!
SimsSews said... (3/26/07 9:04 AM) Reply
Looks tailor fitted, great job. My current project had the same "odd bulge" caused by to much fabric in the front piece. My fix was to push the excess fabric into the armschthe then realign the front and back seam. I've lost 50 lbs in the last year, so I've no clothes, and like you, fitting is like trying to hit a moving target. Best wishes and I'd love to see your finalized top in a beautiful fabric. Best wishes.
LornaJay said... (3/26/07 4:46 AM) Reply
Thanks for the compliments - it has been a mission getting this to fit, complicated by a body that keeps chainging shape on me!
Patzee said... (3/26/07 2:40 AM) Reply
Excellent review. I truly appreciate learning about the changes you made to fit this top. Maybe the top wasn't drafted to give a better fit. Nice job-- and terrific perseverance!
cinnamon_toast said... (3/25/07 9:34 PM) Reply
The fit is lovely!! Nice job.

Pattern Work