Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5317 (Easy McCall's)

Reviewed by:rosannec

About rosannecstar
Member since: 7/9/06
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:4/6/07 2:33 AM
Last Updated:4/6/07 8:04 PM

AnneM said... (4/18/07 8:02 PM) Reply
I think most of us have done the stretch-the-wrong-way thing. Congrats on your efforts and learning, and good luck on your future endeavors.
Soliel said... (4/7/07 11:37 AM) Reply
From what I heard about bubble skirts is they can't be too long or too short. If they are too long, they look to sackish. If they are too short they can make one look heavy. I can see it not being easy to find just the right length.
OP Gal said... (4/7/07 11:09 AM) Reply
Oh so sorry you can't wear this dress. It sounds adorable. Thanks for all the information in the review. Very helpful.
Elana said... (4/6/07 12:56 PM) Reply
Thank you for treview . I have this pattern in my stash and it's really helpful to get the idea of the bubble dress. It looks nice on the table though.
Christina Sonja said... (4/6/07 12:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for the reminder about getting the direction of the stretch right. It looks nice though, I hope it fits your friend!
Hilary said... (4/6/07 11:43 AM) Reply
Excellent review! I am so sorry it didn't work out for you, but look at all you learned! I'm trying to look on the bright side :oP (yes I know those horrible stretch stitches you are talking about! I have been there too, and I agree, scissors are the best remedy!) Maybe your friend can wear it or at least you'll be able to reuse the fabric. You saved me from trying this one, so thank you :o) It does look pretty on the table, though!
Hilary said... (4/6/07 11:41 AM) Reply
Em's Summer said... (4/6/07 10:08 AM) Reply
I'm so sorry it didn't work for you, but since you love the fabric, have you thought about cutting it to blouse length? A top in this style would be great for summer! I think it could work because to make a top, you'd cut the bubble design out, which means you could also cut the lining out. While this dress doesn't fit you, a top sans lining might. If you end giving it to your friend, I hope it fits. Whatever you do, what you made looks great!
carolynw said... (4/6/07 9:19 AM) Reply
Very helpful review and am so sorry it did not work out for you. It is a lovely color red so if your petiute size 0 friend can not wear it please re-cycle for yourself. Good luck!
cinnamon_toast said... (4/6/07 8:04 AM) Reply
Excellent review. Sorry the dress didn't work out for you, though. Oh, I am off to Joann's to see if mine has that knit!!
marjenann said... (4/6/07 6:51 AM) Reply
This is a great review. You have provided lots of great information for all of us. Too bad, with all of your hardwork, you will not have a new dress for the spring. Thanks for you honesty!!!
Nancywin said... (4/6/07 3:05 AM) Reply
Nice review. I have made both of those mistakes before and just today cut a skirt off the bodice rather than ripping the stitched, serged, and stabilized seam. We all learn from these mistakes, and unfortunately, sometimes repeat them. It looks like you did a nice job on the pattern, which seems a little complicated. I hope your friend can use the dress.

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

by: Sheila457

by: bennomusik

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)