Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> wsj-dbcp (Dragon Cargo Pants)

Reviewed by:Lorna C. Newman

About Lorna C. Newmanstarstarstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 8/10/02
Posted on:4/10/07 3:54 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
AnneM said... (4/22/07 9:17 AM) Reply
I wish I could help with your fit questions but sounds like you have some great hints here. You've done well so far, I think. A pantform is a great idea.
Annette1 said... (4/13/07 1:07 AM) Reply
I think you're too close to give it up yet. :o) If I were you, I'd add the ease back in that you took out, and try them in a drapey fabric. You can always narrow them down if you need to. These fit a lot better than LOTS of the pants I see walking down the street. :o)
Debbie Cook said... (4/11/07 9:13 AM) Reply
Lorna, I don't think it's a posture problem as you describe. When you hiked up the back, you essentially changed the angle of the back crotch curve. I think that's where you need to focus your adjustments. Even with you pulling up on the back, the waistband is not sitting right. It dips. You need a different curve and angle and you need more length. Just my 2 cents ... ;-)
fuzzygalore said... (4/11/07 5:39 AM) Reply
Totally agree with the overfitting business :-). People seem to particularly get into it with HotPatterns, imho. Anyway, if you know hiking them up 1/2" fixes the problem, just do that, without necessarily getting into a big mirror overhaul. And starting from your own crotch curve is always a good idea. But you might not get anywhere with this pattern if you don't use drapey fabric like it calls for - cotton/poly isn't going to cut it. Muslin fabric should be cheap, and it may be hideous :-), but it must have the properties desired. That said, I don't think this looks bad for your body shape, might even add back some of the ease you slashed off? Keep at it :-)..
Patzee said... (4/11/07 1:43 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for a good review. I just got this pattern a few weeks ago after waiting forever for someone to do a review. I've a very different shape than you -- I have no trunk junk (actually, barely even a trunk). I have some Supplex put away for these pants.
Elona said... (4/10/07 11:15 PM) Reply
I remember Mrs. Ah-Whiggens and her amazing caboose. I admired the way Tim Conway's character never referred openly to it. Oh, he rolled his eyes a little.
Lorna C. Newman said... (4/10/07 7:05 PM) Reply
The back view in the photo is not accurate ... the reason it looks so good is because I am doing my best imitation of an old Carol Burnett character - Mrs Wiggins; my derriere is sticking out a bit more than it usually does!
CarolynGM said... (4/10/07 6:36 PM) Reply
I really admire the way you persevere in your quest for a well fitted pair of pants. The back looks pretty darn good, so another try in a drapier fabric sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck!
marjenann said... (4/10/07 6:35 PM) Reply
I like pants, and think I will try the same pattern in a drapey fabric!!! Thanks for a great review!!!
Lorna C. Newman said... (4/10/07 6:27 PM) Reply
I hate to write off a pattern like this without first making sure that it isn't the fabric ... I have a similar WOF pattern that fits much nicer in the back that I can compare it to ... why I didn't think of it before, I don't know!
lmg said... (4/10/07 6:25 PM) Reply
I think the pants look quite good. Worth another try...the rear view is great IMHO.
Elona said... (4/10/07 6:16 PM) Reply
It's an interesting pattern, Lorna, and I think you've made a noble run at it. The pants look quite good, and it's hard to imagine why (or how) this particular style, with the fore- and -aft seams would look better in a drapey fabric.

Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress