Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3778

Last Updated:4/11/07 10:33 PM
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Plus

Vesta Patterns

LorrieAnn said... (7/12/07 5:51 PM) Reply
Your fabric is absolutely beautiful, I see why you chose it - I hope adding a belt will salvage the dress for you. I have been eyeing the pattern, and now will try it based on your very helpful review. Thank you.
AnneM said... (4/22/07 11:49 AM) Reply
this is the top I was referencing:
AnneM said... (4/22/07 11:46 AM) Reply
You can see why they put a belt on it in the pattern picture. However, you will love this dress on a hot, humid summer day. (I made some princess seam dresses recently for summer wear; perhaps a style like that would have a little more shaping for you.) Another thought for this one: try adding some darts in the middle front & back midriff area. There is a vogue tunic top that has that treatment, & it would give this a little more shaping. (I also love the quilting cotton prints but don't use them because they are stiffer, and I like drapey fabric.)
quilter55 said... (4/13/07 7:06 AM) Reply
Thanks for your comments and advice. I found a silver chain belt yesterday and I'll try it hooked loosely to one side. The weight of the chains should hold down some of the fullness. I hope!
Annette1 said... (4/12/07 9:54 PM) Reply
Following on the heels of Soliel's comments, I say: Yeah! :o) I'll bet if you cut it down a little bit (now that you know how the sizing runs) and made it in a nice flowy rayon or sometihng along those lines, you'd like it. You did a really nice job on it. Maybe you could wear a belt kind of at an angle over one hip. I bet it would look really cute, and if the belt's worn a little lower, it wouldn't make it blouse up too much at the top. I know what you mean though, when you're so excited about trying out a new pattern and then it doesn't turn out like you hoped. Great job anyway!
Soliel said... (4/12/07 11:50 AM) Reply
I think you got to watch out those quilting cottons. They are very yummy and delicious looking...but they are stiffer than fashion cottons and will not give you the flowy feel or look you want. I always think "too bad" because so many of those quilting cottons are so pretty...but I stay away anyway. I bet another fabric will give you a totally different feel. LIke a lightweight cotton/poly.
SimsSews said... (4/12/07 9:10 AM) Reply
I'm sorry you're disappointed with your dress. I think it's a pretty fabric though, it would be a stunning swim suit cover up, and with a little matching heel you are sooo pool side ready.
BJ1400 said... (4/12/07 8:26 AM) Reply
Your fabric is pretty & I too think it would look good with a belt. Thanks for the review. I just bought this pattern & the info regarding how large it runs is good to know.
fuzzygalore said... (4/12/07 4:21 AM) Reply
I would definitely add a belt if you think it's still too big. With an unfitted dress like this, it's crucial to use your high bust measurement to pick the basic size. And on the whole, quilting fabrics are just not suitable for those big loose shapes - not drapey enough..
SouthernStitch said... (4/11/07 11:24 PM) Reply
Well, it is a lovely blue, and looks like you did a good job with it, if that's any consolation. Maybe make a smaller size and add a belt.

by: CCcreative