Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3744 (Threads dress)

Reviewed by:EveS

About EveSstarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/26/06
Posted on:5/30/07 5:58 PM
Last Updated:5/30/07 7:06 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 18 people

Marji said... (8/14/07 2:39 AM) Reply
Love the print with the contrast. What a fun look. Interesting that the pattern should run that large. Thanks for the heads up...this is on my list, even though it's time for fall sewing already.
sewbehind said... (8/5/07 8:00 PM) Reply
Love the dress and the fabric. Very cool!
kathi s said... (7/10/07 2:19 AM) Reply
Thank you for all the info! I just bought this pattern and some black and white pique print with black pique for the trim for view 'c'. I will compare my measurements with the pattern before I start. Your version is really cute- reminds me of some fabric I used for a similar dress in '67.
ccris said... (6/2/07 12:03 PM) Reply
What a busy bee you've been. Almost missed seeing your review. Your choice of color for the trim looks great, and *you* look great in the dress. Love that retro look! Nice job.
SusiM said... (6/1/07 12:28 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you discussed the fitting issues on this pattern. Your dress turned out great. Thanks for the warnings, though.
EveS said... (5/31/07 1:13 PM) Reply
Ruh roh! I was just on Gorgeous Things site and this fabric is no longer on sale! Oopsie! Oh well, it's still well worth the money. I can't wait to see other version of this dress. It really was fun! Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments! BTW, my neck "fix" probably wasn't the "correct" technique, but I wasn't sure what else to do after already attaching the collar and putting in the zipper (shy of having a hissy fit) :)
pterion said... (5/31/07 12:35 PM) Reply
Your dress is adorable and you are adorable in it! Thanks for the great (and helpful) review.
Erica B. said... (5/31/07 12:15 PM) Reply
Very cute!
gatorgirl4325 said... (5/31/07 12:11 PM) Reply
I'm so glad that you were able to finish your dress - it turned out great! I, too, have been eyeing that blue polka dot fabric.....
Sharon M said... (5/31/07 10:58 AM) Reply
Love, love, love this dress! The fabric is perfect for this style and you look adorable wearing it. After seeing your review this dress just moved to the top of my "must find fabric and sew it" list! Enjoy wearing your cool retro dress!
Rhoda K said... (5/31/07 10:40 AM) Reply
Really cute dress and love the style. I think that style would look good on any age.
craftyshark said... (5/31/07 9:41 AM) Reply
What an adorable dress! It looks great on you. And thanks for the tips about fitting issues, they're very helpful.
tomed said... (5/31/07 8:29 AM) Reply
Great dress! Thanks for the review and the help on the back of the neck - I'm having the same problem on another dress pattern.
Danvillegirl said... (5/31/07 7:19 AM) Reply
I just purchased this pattern, so your information was most helpful. Cute looking dress, and looks good on you.
cindy-lou said... (5/31/07 7:08 AM) Reply
Great dress, great fabric. It's like Marsha Brady meets Elizabeth Hurley. I've had necklines do that to me, too-- I'm reading Sandra B's 'Fast Fit' and I bet, between that and 'Fit For Real People', you could find your answer. In the meantime, though... wear the heck out of that dress! It's awesome.
femmebot said... (5/31/07 1:44 AM) Reply
I'm working on this dress right now, and you beat me to the first review! Glad yours turned out so great:) I had trouble finding my buttons also. I started to omit the front pockets but decided to sew it up as drafted, and now I kinda wish I'd left them out. Great fabric, by the way.
Dmd4106 said... (5/30/07 11:35 PM) Reply
Sew Retro,
Linda G said... (5/30/07 10:15 PM) Reply
Your dress reminds me of dresses I made in the 60s. It is soooo cool man. I had that same problem with a dress I mad that was a simplicity pattern.. A dart fixes but I am not sure why it happens in the first place. I thought maybe is was my rounding back...I don't remember that when the pattern was original in the 60s, of course my poor old body was a lot younger then.
lmg said... (5/30/07 9:28 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. Dress is fabulous! Very helpful hints too. I found this at my local Fabricland in Ontario, no problems.
Bonnie O said... (5/30/07 9:09 PM) Reply
Ok, this is the third time that I have seen this pattern. To me, the pattern seems "ho, hum" but your version is awesome! And so fun! I think I need to give this one another look-see! Great fabric and love the buttons - good call!
JBsewmonster said... (5/30/07 7:57 PM) Reply
Love your dress! You had me laughing the whole way through your review. Isn't it great that funky is cool again!
Vivienne said... (5/30/07 7:22 PM) Reply
This is cuteness personified. I heard a rumour this pattern is sold out - perhaps this is why it is not on the website. I have the same problem with extra space at the back neck - I need a broad back alteration from a smaller size.
KaraKai said... (5/30/07 6:41 PM) Reply
Very retro and very cool! I wish I could pull off a style like that :)
Vonnevo said... (5/30/07 6:33 PM) Reply
Definitely Fun, Funky and Fabulous !! It brings back memories of those psychedelic days :))

by: MinaLMcGra...