Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8331 (Very Easy Vogue jackets)

Reviewed by:Allie in Hong Kong

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 11 people

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

Haute.Couturiere said... (9/30/09 7:38 PM) Reply
Lovely! I am getting this pattern. Thanks for the great review.
Betsybobbin said... (1/9/08 9:50 PM) Reply
I don't know how I missed your review of this jacket, but I think it's gorgeous! I like your taste in patterns and fabrics! Elizabeth
Kathi R said... (7/28/07 2:28 PM) Reply
I think your design changes make the jacket, nice work - thanks for the review
Karla Kizer said... (7/4/07 6:24 PM) Reply
Was I asleep when this review was first posted? I love that jacket. Yippee - another pattern to buy! Hope my results are as good as yours.
Birgitte said... (7/4/07 5:49 PM) Reply
So beautiful and cute and fabulous... The necklace is fantastic too!
Hilary said... (7/3/07 9:51 PM) Reply
What a*gorgeous* jacket!! Yours is beautiful-I never would have looked twice at this pattern, but I *love* this...a jacket for hot summers-perfect! Great idea to take it to an alterations shop for the buttonhole! Oh, and the reshaping of the front is a vast improvement, as well. Thanks for a great review!
AnneM said... (6/29/07 9:10 PM) Reply
Very nice. Neat style. I like the original pattern version & your variation. (Good idea on the alterations shop.)
nancy2001 said... (6/24/07 7:35 PM) Reply
Absolutely perfect. And I love the necklace too.
milwaukee_kelly said... (6/23/07 9:21 PM) Reply
I love what you did with this! Beautiful color.
cyndylou said... (6/23/07 1:12 PM) Reply
Lovely! I think that horizontal crease could suggest a design opportunity: draft a new seam there and do an in-seam buttonhole, as marycds noted. Thanks for a great review!
Modiste Madness said... (6/23/07 1:11 PM) Reply
You are right it is a "smart jacket" thanks to your construction skills and choice of fabric. I love its stylish but simple look
OP Gal said... (6/21/07 9:23 AM) Reply
Simply stunning. The fabric color is gorgeous and the button looks great. Very clever idea to take it to a tailor.
Karine said... (6/21/07 8:43 AM) Reply
Allie, your jacket is beautiful - love the fabric. I would probably not have looked at this pattern because of the front cut, but your modification makes a huge difference. I like it a lot! I've had similar issues with buttons - another solution is to cover large snaps and sew them on the garment and attach the button on top.
Heatherrique said... (6/21/07 2:26 AM) Reply
Nice color! This jacket is superb!
Lori V said... (6/20/07 11:10 PM) Reply
Very pretty
Allie in Hong Kong said... (6/20/07 7:30 PM) Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone. Marycds - the photo does look like there is a horizontal seam where the button is doesn't it? But there isn't, I think this is a crease from wearing it sitting down, it needs a pressing!
Christina Sonja said... (6/20/07 7:11 PM) Reply
Very chic, and much nicer than the pattern envelope would lead you to believe.
Membear said... (6/20/07 7:06 PM) Reply
Very smart. The buttonhole save was very forutitous .
Kim Winson said... (6/20/07 6:44 PM) Reply
Lovely! I've been looking for some easy jacket patterns...thanks for reviewing this one. I'm sold..
SillyValley said... (6/20/07 6:39 PM) Reply
I'm so glad to hear this was easy to sew! I bought this pattern and having never made a jacket before I was a little worried. Little "toppers" like these are perfect for taking the air conditioning chill off during the hot summer months.
Dr. Alice said... (6/20/07 4:49 PM) Reply
Great jacket - love the cap sleeve - I bet it looks very flattering on!
Dmd4106 said... (6/20/07 4:28 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket. Love the color!
Markie1 said... (6/20/07 3:39 PM) Reply
Wow this is pretty! I love the reshaping of the front, you did it flawlessly. Great idea to send out the buttonhole. That gives me permission for when I just can't face them... Thanks for a great review
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (6/20/07 3:25 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, love the button and fabric....and sleeves..all round teriffic!
Erica B. said... (6/20/07 2:13 PM) Reply
Very lovely! That dupioni looks beautiful.
marycds said... (6/20/07 12:46 PM) Reply
I like your version best. I think it looks much better with your reshaped front. Great job and great jacket. Could you have done an "inseam" buttonhole? Is that where it hits?
CarolynGM said... (6/20/07 12:06 PM) Reply
Very cute, especially the way you reshaped the front.
Pinkytoo said... (6/20/07 11:25 AM) Reply
Wow, I saw the picture and thought "no way that is VERY EASY!" Your mods make it look much better than the pattern picture - great job, beautiful jacket!
Levone said... (6/20/07 10:33 AM) Reply
Cute jacket! I love the color.
moss said... (6/20/07 10:20 AM) Reply
that's gorgeous, I have been eyeing this pattern for a while but your jacket is really hot :)
Re Becca said... (6/20/07 10:12 AM) Reply
You did a great job on the collar! I passed on this pattern for the very reasons that you mentioned, but with your pattern alterations I like it. Thanks for the review. I love the color as well, and the single button looks good and very worth the hassle.
latebloomer said... (6/20/07 9:28 AM) Reply
This is adorable! Great save with the button, too. I've never even noticed this pattern in the catalogue before. Looks like another item to add to my wishlist.

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS