Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3775 (Knit Dress)

Reviewed by:Marji

Hall of Fame 2009
Posted on:7/16/07 10:42 AM
Last Updated:1/14/08 5:46 PM

shard said... (3/11/08 8:43 PM) Reply
you are great. thank you so much for sharing your order of construction.
shard said... (3/11/08 8:40 PM) Reply
you are great. thank you so much for sharing your order of construction!!
texx said... (1/26/08 3:40 PM) Reply
Love this dress on you. I'd really like to know what would make this dress look better!!?
GRITSGIRL said... (8/4/07 7:23 PM) Reply
I think it is gorgeous!! I just bought this pattern and hadn't even thought of it as a "holiday" kind of dress. I give it 2 thumbs up!! Find a fancy resturant and have a great evening!
Kathi R said... (7/17/07 6:53 PM) Reply
You are right - this must be the week for S3775....your dress may not have turned out as you thought it would, but it looks great. Maybe the fabric just wanted to be more a dress up dress than you imagined - your choice of lining is a great idea. I think the problem you experienced with the midriff overlay must be a function of the fabric because with the rayon lycra I used I couldn't have squished any more fabric in the space. All in all you wound up with a great looking dress.
Leora said... (7/17/07 2:44 PM) Reply
Neat idea to use that lining color as it really brings out the pattern of the lace. Great dress!
pamici said... (7/17/07 8:32 AM) Reply
Sorry Marji, the votes are in, this is a very cool dress. The first thing I thought was, I have that pattern, and I never would have thought to do it in black stretch lace -- gorgeous! I'm afraid I'll be stealing this one ;-)
megp47 said... (7/17/07 6:47 AM) Reply
I think it looks great on you in the photo--the black lace is very stylish.
Danvillegirl said... (7/17/07 5:32 AM) Reply
I like the dress, Marji. I think you could wear it for something for dressier with some dressy pumps and it would look good. I liked your Butterick dress as well.
LauraLo said... (7/17/07 3:32 AM) Reply
Marji, the dress looks gorgeous on you! I want this pattern!
CynthiaSue said... (7/17/07 1:59 AM) Reply
Incredible. Gosh you guys with this dress. The pattern envelope doesn't do it justice. I will buy it based on the cute job everyone is doing. Great fit on you!
Heatherrique said... (7/16/07 10:42 PM) Reply
Marji, here's my first impression: yowza, you are simulataneously sizzling with class and temptress appeal! Your dress is more darling than A. Schwartz's Black dress Super work as always!
Diane E said... (7/16/07 8:24 PM) Reply
Okay, I've got to add a "me too or three or four or, etc." I think this is beautiful, and I think the nude lining highlights the lace. I understand how you're feeling though. How about wearing it out to dinner for its first public appearance - then see what you think. You look lovely.
Melody said... (7/16/07 7:16 PM) Reply
Marji, I swear you and I are on the same wavelength. I was just about to try out this version. Although you aren't 100% about this, I think it's absolutely stunning and I agree with Erica and the others who think this is a killer evening look. I think you should go somewhere fabulous and work that dress!
hongkongshopper said... (7/16/07 5:23 PM) Reply
I agree with others and I think the glamour necklace will take away from the nude lining. Lovely!
Birgitte said... (7/16/07 4:01 PM) Reply
I love the nude lining, it shows off the lace detail (which is why you chose it right?) and seems to complement your colors, and I also agree about the ruche. But the evening look will move eyes up the that gorgeous face framed by a super kool chunky bead necklace :-)
CarolynGM said... (7/16/07 3:25 PM) Reply
You are so adventurous to try this. The fabric is gorgeous, and I concur with those who suggest that your dress is wello-suited for an evening look.
Tany said... (7/16/07 3:16 PM) Reply
I'm sorry that you're not 100% happy with this dress because you look awesome in it. The fabric is gorgeous and I really like the lining as it is. I think Erica is right about the evening look.
OP Gal said... (7/16/07 3:09 PM) Reply
Too bad you don't love the dress, Marji. I think it's pretty. I do like the nude lining, but I see what you mean about the ruching being a little scanty. However, I don't think anyone but a sewer would notice. Maybe you'd like it better as an evening rather than a day dress.
Pyrose said... (7/16/07 2:05 PM) Reply
I really like your dress! I think the materials you picked are great. I can easily see this being a nice evening dress. Your review helped show me that you don't have to be a slave to the pattern envelope pictures. You created a very unique and lovely dress from this.
J-Girl said... (7/16/07 1:55 PM) Reply
I think it looks lovely with the nude underlining. Not too bare at all!
Gold said... (7/16/07 1:29 PM) Reply
Looks good on you!!I think you did a great job!!
gatorgirl4325 said... (7/16/07 1:16 PM) Reply
That dress is fabulous! I like the underlining with the black lace - and it looks great on you.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (7/16/07 1:06 PM) Reply
Marji I really like the fabric, great idea using the nude lining.
Erica B. said... (7/16/07 12:39 PM) Reply
Marji, I understand that you are unhappy with the dress. But I like the nude lining. You could easily enhance this as an evening look with killer shoes and a great necklace.
sandrasdaughter said... (7/16/07 12:36 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous - I would give it at least a $200 price tag :-)
Copper7 said... (7/16/07 12:27 PM) Reply
I see the issue with the ruched piece, but honestly, until you pointed it out in your review, I didn't notice it. I think this is a drop dead sexy dress and it looks great on you! I'd definitely recommend wearing it the next time you go out with your guy!
Donna H said... (7/16/07 12:11 PM) Reply
Marji, you always sew with the most unique fabrics. Gosh, I'd be too scared to make this up in that AND underline it, too! It does look VERY nice, though, despite your comments. I agree with the others, it's dressy! Love the hemline, too.
craftyshark said... (7/16/07 12:03 PM) Reply
I'm sorry it didn't turn out as you expected. I also think it looks great on you, though. It's very flattering. It is on the dressier side. It's a good nighttime look.
Nancy K said... (7/16/07 11:46 AM) Reply
I can see what you are unhappy with, but I do like the nude lining. It makes it dressier than the opaque knit Butterick dress though, and maybe you weren't intending for it to be so dressy?
mahalosu said... (7/16/07 11:05 AM) Reply
I live your choice of material.

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant