Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4444 (Laura Ashley Sundress)

Reviewed by:Karen6790

About Karen6790starstarstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 3/2/06
Posted on:8/20/07 11:36 PM
Last Updated:6/11/09 8:09 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 23 people
melaniejade31 said... (2/27/10 0:18 AM) Reply
incredible dress! The trim really looks fantastic!
CMDarling said... (11/5/09 0:57 AM) Reply
Hey I just wanted to say thanks for you indepth reviews. they are fantastic and the photos really help. I also love how you did a second one for turning it into a formal dress. I'm now convienced that I have to have this pattern for my new summer dersses
jnamcd said... (6/11/09 10:55 PM) Reply
I've made up that pattern --years ago -and it is still one of my favorite summer dresses!! Yours looks great!!
ConnieBJ said... (6/11/09 9:14 PM) Reply
Go-go-gorgoeus! And I get to see the garden in the summer to boot!
Mahogany Stylist said... (5/26/09 0:05 AM) Reply
This pattern is definitely a winner. Both versions are perfect summer dresses.
Barbara V said... (5/25/09 11:23 AM) Reply
Pretty dress and lovely fabric combination.
Kayseri said... (5/24/09 11:33 PM) Reply
The aqua contrast makes this dress something special. Lovely effort.
Jolet said... (5/24/09 4:47 PM) Reply
Lovely fabric, and the contrast color you used. Fabulous, what a result!
marec said... (5/24/09 12:02 PM) Reply
Perfect! Fabric, color choice, hem band...everything.
DorothyK said... (5/24/09 11:42 AM) Reply
I love this version of the dress. Very charming.
cindyann said... (5/24/09 11:33 AM) Reply
Great version of this pattern. I love the fabric you chose. I've made this one too but failed to prshrink the fabric sufficiently and was only able to wear it once. {sigh}
eugenia123 said... (5/24/09 10:33 AM) Reply
I just LOVE your latest version of this dress. The colors you have put together are just gorgeous. I love its vintage vibe (I was around when Laura Ashley first hit the fashion scene!!!!) but you have made it look bang up-to-date as well.
CypGrl said... (5/24/09 8:36 AM) Reply
Love your sundress! Thanks for the complete review here and on your blog.
Peggy said... (5/24/09 8:27 AM) Reply
You've created a beautiful dress.
Lori V said... (5/23/09 11:20 PM) Reply
Your new dress is beautiful, the colors are just gorgeous.
Terri Smith said... (5/23/09 11:08 PM) Reply
What a great summer dress! I really like the trim, I have the same fabric from the same place :) and know what you mean by needing the exact color for contrast. Great use of a large print too.
nicegirl said... (8/29/07 12:32 PM) Reply
This is a great pattern! I made it several years ago (before joining PR so I never reviewed it) and always get compliments when I wear it.
Markie1 said... (8/27/07 2:57 PM) Reply
I love this dress! You always make such beautiful and interesting clothes, and this is no exception. The fabric is brilliant.
Kitty Couture said... (8/27/07 9:41 AM) Reply
That's a fabulous dress!! So feminine. It looks like a $$$ dress.
AngieC said... (8/26/07 9:02 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Yes you need a jacket to wear it to work so off you go...enjoy your dress.
EveS said... (8/26/07 0:28 AM) Reply
What an incredibly fun dress, Karen! I love that bodice!!
ryan's mom said... (8/21/07 9:23 PM) Reply
Gosh, this is so lovely! What a great summer style.
Levone said... (8/21/07 2:34 PM) Reply
Pretty dress!
DorothyK said... (8/21/07 2:24 PM) Reply
I absolutely love this dress. The fabric is gorgeous. I must buy this pattern. It's so versitile - anything from a little sun dress to formalwear. Thanks for a great review. I'm sure I will refer to it when I make the dress.
Ronda Rae said... (8/21/07 1:26 PM) Reply
another really cute dress!
michellep74 said... (8/21/07 1:09 PM) Reply
I love how your dress turned out! It's so pretty!
gatorgirl4325 said... (8/21/07 11:21 AM) Reply
Great dress - I love all the colors in the print. I vote for the brown taffeta also! It would be perfect to wear to a wedding.
GwenC said... (8/21/07 11:21 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress! I may have to put this pattern on my wishlist - thanks for the review! :)
fuzzygalore said... (8/21/07 9:44 AM) Reply
Oy veh! Underlining a summer dress... Sometimes patternreview mass reactions leads to things that would best be left undone :-). Too much can just be too much. Don't get me wrong, this is a lovely dress and I wish I had that pattern myself. But next time, just make a big shirt out of a voile, that's what it's for, and make the dress in something that it calls for, like a nice uncomplicated cotton! The taffeta for instance will be great. And yes, if you have a 40s body, it'll absolutely look better in 40s fashions...
busy91 said... (8/21/07 9:33 AM) Reply
That is pretty. I love the fabric.
carolynw said... (8/21/07 9:19 AM) Reply
Pretty dress and fabric! Congrats on finishing an UFO - am trying to do the same but sometimes it's just too much - sigh - and a real good excuse comes up like "how about starting that blouse"
Celeste said... (8/21/07 9:04 AM) Reply
Beautiful. Great sense of style and color. Looks like what you'd see in the window at an expensive botique!
Kellie R. said... (8/21/07 8:57 AM) Reply
I love that dress! It has such a flattering design and it's good to know that it works well on a real person! Great review.
ButtonFaith said... (8/21/07 8:08 AM) Reply
I've been looking at this pattern and it was so nice to see how it made up! Thanks! I also think it would be EXQUISITE in the brown taffeta! I'm not sure the straps would have to be narrowed for that, I think they would do ok as they are. My humble opinion. I hope you do make it as I would like to see a picture of that as well! :-)
Hilary said... (8/21/07 7:33 AM) Reply
Very nice! I love that fabric too :P I think it'll look gorgeous in the taffeta as well. I have this pattern but I haven't gotten the nerve to make it yet, lol. (love the BF story, btw-LOL!)
Huldra said... (8/21/07 6:24 AM) Reply
Very pretty! I like the fabric!
MissCelie said... (8/21/07 5:51 AM) Reply
You're making some cute, fun, flirty dresses. This one is no exception.
Danvillegirl said... (8/21/07 5:32 AM) Reply
Another great garment! What a cute dress.
zora said... (8/21/07 4:39 AM) Reply
Lovely fabric and a real pretty dress!
Sew4Fun said... (8/21/07 1:50 AM) Reply
Pretty dress. I can just see it in the taffeta. Go for it!

by: catintheha...