Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2007-117 (Sherlock Holmes Dress)

Reviewed by:MissCelie

About MissCeliestarstarstarstar
MD United States
Posted on:10/7/07 4:42 PM
Last Updated:10/19/08 0:04 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 29 people
Jali said... (1/3/09 12:32 PM) Reply
Cidell, your second dress is smart yet funky, and fits you great. In fact, it fits right into the Jan 2009 issue of BWOF and its plaid series.
ChristineX said... (10/24/08 12:19 PM) Reply
Good gravy, woman, you look like a 50's pinup! Woohoo!!
gatorgirl4325 said... (10/20/08 11:31 AM) Reply
That dress couldn't be any better - it's so nice!
Elke said... (10/20/08 9:26 AM) Reply
Looks great on you...love the fabric combination!
HLT said... (10/19/08 11:18 PM) Reply
Wonderful blend of the 2 fabrics. I think that it is very RTW. I've seen many dresses in the stores that blend 2 fabrics to make a shirt/skirt look. Very fabulous!!!
Karen6790 said... (10/19/08 1:31 PM) Reply
Me likey, too. You've made two of this dress now and it's still on my to do list. Shame on me - it's a fabulous dress. Love the brighter plaid.
Beek said... (10/19/08 10:17 AM) Reply
What fun you and Nicegirl must have had sewing away! And what a great outfit you have as a result!
CShelley said... (10/19/08 9:27 AM) Reply
Great job, great results. Doesn't look like Ann Taylor to me -maybe Ann Taylor funkified. And lucky you to have a sewing buddy!!
Frogstitcher said... (10/19/08 9:24 AM) Reply
I just love your second version. It really is so au courant. I might just have to get me a second one as well. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lori V said... (10/19/08 8:22 AM) Reply
Cidell, great job on the new version. The colors and fabric combinations are wonderful
lilyofthevalley said... (10/19/08 1:03 AM) Reply
Cidell, I would not have thought that you could possibly improve on your first version, but this grey and brighter plaid with the wide black belt is positively Stylin'! And in your entire ensemble, you look so vibrant; what a beautiful girl you are. Lovely, lovely work, Lily
sandrasdaughter said... (10/19/08 0:33 AM) Reply
I love the fabric choices - they blend well. If I saw you walking down the street I would be running you down asking where you purchased this from!
Marji said... (12/3/07 5:00 AM) Reply
Looks wonderful on you!
Markie1 said... (10/22/07 8:25 PM) Reply
Cidell-I love this version of the dress. I finally got around to subscribing to Burda and this dress will be a great place to start. I'm sure you have already done away with it, but I love the tab against the collar. You look gorgeous and i love thinking about you and NiceGirl and your sewing weekend.
Mary Stiefer said... (10/11/07 11:30 PM) Reply
You have another beautiful creation. Great job and thanks for the tips, too.
Debbie Cook said... (10/9/07 8:30 AM) Reply
Love it!! The two fabrics together is so inspired and really makes this dress your own expensive designer original.
OP Gal said... (10/8/07 8:54 PM) Reply
Great dress, and you look fabulous in it. And you're definitely runway material!
Sewing Chick said... (10/8/07 1:17 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job! I love your two fabrics together. This pattern is now on my definite to do list. Thanks for a wonderful review.
SandraB said... (10/8/07 12:07 PM) Reply
Fabulous as always. I skipped right past this dress in the magazine, but you managed to make it look very upscale and exclusive.
Kitty Couture said... (10/8/07 11:33 AM) Reply
The contrasting top and bottom are SO clever! I love your version of that one, Cidell.
said... (10/8/07 9:54 AM) Reply
Looks great!
LauraLo said... (10/8/07 9:18 AM) Reply
Beautiful, I love it!
lmg said... (10/8/07 9:16 AM) Reply
Very expensive looking. Fantastic job! Thanks for the great review. Looks like this dress may suit pear types well.
narcissaqtpie said... (10/8/07 8:56 AM) Reply
Fan-triple-tastic! I really love this dress!
cindyann said... (10/8/07 8:21 AM) Reply
Wow! and ditto what everyone else said. Very chic!
Ronda Rae said... (10/8/07 7:57 AM) Reply
This is so cute!! Very stylish! I enjoyed seeing the other pics on your blog. I didn't realize the top part was plaid until I checked over there. I love it and I can tell that you do, too. Nice work.
ryan's mom said... (10/8/07 6:51 AM) Reply
Wow! The dress looks terrific and you look like your pic was snapped for a fashion magazine :) !
BillieJean said... (10/8/07 5:59 AM) Reply
This is beautiful, and I agree that is is a little retro. I can remember having a dress very similar to this back in the 60's (I think).
Danvillegirl said... (10/8/07 5:26 AM) Reply
I love your version of this dress. It looks great in two fabrics.
kiddo said... (10/8/07 2:38 AM) Reply
Beautifully done!!! You look wonderful in the dress.
LorelleD said... (10/8/07 2:00 AM) Reply
Love your interpretation of this dress using 2 fabrics. Looks terrific.
nicegirl said... (10/7/07 11:20 PM) Reply
Love the fabric mix and the way you brought the two fabrics together. Having seen it in person, I am qualified to say it's fabulous!
MelissaB in WA said... (10/7/07 10:59 PM) Reply
Beautiful work, it's so flattering on you Cidell!!!
gatorgirl4325 said... (10/7/07 9:54 PM) Reply
Fabulous looking dress - it looks great on you. Mixing the fabrics was the way to go because your dress looks very designer!
Tiner W said... (10/7/07 9:07 PM) Reply
Oh, I love that dress! I must get a copy of that! The 2 fabrics are fantastic!
Nancywin said... (10/7/07 8:45 PM) Reply
Super, super super! I wouldn't have tought to color block it either, but it looks fantastic. I'm hoping you have details on the lining on your blog.
Bonnie O said... (10/7/07 8:40 PM) Reply
Spectacular!!! I can't wait to make it!
Diane E said... (10/7/07 8:30 PM) Reply
Cidell, I love your dress. It's absolutely beautiful and you look beautiful in it. It's perfect for afternoon tea with the ladies.
blue mooney said... (10/7/07 8:24 PM) Reply
I love the fabric mix, Cidell! Great lady-like retro look.
craftyshark said... (10/7/07 8:19 PM) Reply
Very chic indeed! I love the combination of the fabrics. And yes, it is very expensive looking. Wonderful job!
Sew4Fun said... (10/7/07 8:03 PM) Reply
I love your dress with the two fabrics. It looks great on you.
Hilary said... (10/7/07 7:50 PM) Reply
I think you look *oh-so-chic* in this-you really look fabulous in your dress!! You always do :o) Thanks for the great review.
Christina Sonja said... (10/7/07 7:47 PM) Reply
The combination of the two fabrics takes this to another level. And it is so flattering on you!
Lori V said... (10/7/07 7:24 PM) Reply
Cidell, this is amazing. Love your fabric combinations. You look fantastic.
Pinkytoo said... (10/7/07 7:03 PM) Reply
FANtastic, as always! Your picture looks like something straight out of Vogue magazine.
Erica B. said... (10/7/07 6:43 PM) Reply
OK... that's it! I'm making this dress! This dress is too hot. And yes, it does look like high-end RTW. I love how you mixed the fabric... I would have not thought to do that. Fantastic job!
Vonnevo said... (10/7/07 6:34 PM) Reply
oops !!!
Vonnevo said... (10/7/07 6:33 PM) Reply
Rock on Cidell !!! This is one gorgeous dress !
Linda G said... (10/7/07 6:22 PM) Reply
I love love love your dress. You are right the fabric makes it. I have looked at that pattern and have tried to figure out how to make 3/4 length sleeves...Minnesota you know!!.....but it was 92 here yesterday, unheard of in October...60 something today and down hill from there! It is so nice that you and Nice Girl sew together...it is hard to find sewing companions these days!!
avancleve said... (10/7/07 6:13 PM) Reply
Looks great, and great tips. I purchased a few yards of some cute plaid wool for just this dress. Nice to have some tips before I get started.
hongkongshopper said... (10/7/07 6:10 PM) Reply
Love your interpretation of this dress. A good weekend's work!
carolynw said... (10/7/07 6:09 PM) Reply
Well Cidell this time I think you should be walking the runway or doing a fashion shoot - you look as usual wonderful in your creation - way to go girl!!
Nancy K said... (10/7/07 5:57 PM) Reply
This looks great on you! Too nice for Ann Taylor. I love every version I have seen of this dress. This is on my list, but I am a bit pear shaped and heavier than you, so this is a muslin first dress.
So So said... (10/7/07 5:18 PM) Reply
Great take on this pattern. i have looked and looked at it, i am a uk 16+ so don't know how it will go, defo. muslin 1st. i had thought on shortening it and making it a top. Without the tab would it be just like a reversed collar 9 sorry don't know correct name for this). Thanks for reviewing this pattern.
Kay Y said... (10/7/07 5:16 PM) Reply
This is a gorgeous dress - 2 reviews in one day are making me sad that I did not buy this issue!
SillyValley said... (10/7/07 5:03 PM) Reply
Cidell - about mixing fabric you are right. RTW does this and whenever I see it done well I am always impressed. Jun Takahashi (Undercover) is the king of it IMHO. You got great results with your fabric here. Very well done!
loohoo44 said... (10/7/07 4:59 PM) Reply
I love the 2 fabrics on this one, just beautiful! Great fit, too.
Sigrid. said... (10/7/07 4:50 PM) Reply
It sure is expensive looking Cidell. It's a gorgeous dress that I really missed in the magazine. I like the detail on the collar. Make it in the same color if you don't like the color difference.

by: LM2HYD