Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt
You'll learn :
  • 5 Different Bias Hemming Techniques
  • Working with a variety of fabrics
  • Matching stripes
  • Lining a bias skirt
  • Inserting a ripple free zipper
  • All with the help of HD video which you can play over and over again as many times as you want. Blog Announcements with more photos ">Put it on the Bias Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1020 (wardrobe)

Reviewed by:drsue

Last Updated:10/31/07 6:49 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 27 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Coat/Jacket    Pants    Skirts
Karla Kizer said... (1/19/08 7:39 AM) Reply
I missed this review completely when it was new, and only found it now because candyo mentions it in her new tee review. How is that elastic-stabilized ruching working out? The top is very pretty.
JDpenelope said... (11/20/07 6:05 PM) Reply
Yes, I missed you, too. In fact, I just saw one of your reviews on the sidebar and decided to see when you last wrote a review -- This is it. Glad you have returned. I enjoyed your thoughts about ruching, etc. You did get a great-looking top, in spite of the flaky instructions.
Danvillegirl said... (11/19/07 6:49 AM) Reply
Great looking top and love the fabric. Glad you are back.
Grammy Gin said... (11/2/07 9:38 AM) Reply
Beautiful! Love the ruching.
hongkongshopper said... (11/1/07 8:47 PM) Reply
Great top. Love the fabric and the style.
Hilary said... (11/1/07 7:12 PM) Reply
Yes, I *did* miss ya!! Glad to "see" you again! This top is GORGEOUS!! and the fabric equally so-nice job on improving the construction and neckline. I can't imagine a turn and stitch neckline would have looked even decent. The lycra band is perfect. Thanks for the review, welcome back!
DorothyK said... (11/1/07 1:43 PM) Reply
Welcome back. Terrific top. I like the black neckline. I wouldn't even buy this rtw if it had a zipper. Thanks for the review.
Mahogany Stylist said... (11/1/07 1:30 PM) Reply
Beautiful top! I looked at this pattern yesterday and decided to not to put it on my wish list. I may have to reconsider, at least for the Joann's Vogue $3.99 sale! Thanks for the review.
Kitty Couture said... (11/1/07 12:24 PM) Reply
That is beautiful! I love the ruche.
Irene Q said... (11/1/07 11:38 AM) Reply
Yes, we certainly did miss you!! Welcome back!!!! Vogue doesn't seem to have a clue about how to sew knit tops, but you still came out with a great top.
gatorgirl4325 said... (11/1/07 10:22 AM) Reply
Wow! Your top is much better looking than the garments on that pattern envelope. Glad you are back!!
Skymom said... (11/1/07 10:10 AM) Reply
GOod to see you back, Dr. Sue. THanks for this review--your top looks excellent with your updated construction methods.
Trinity. said... (11/1/07 10:02 AM) Reply
Welcome back, drsue. Gorgeous top, and I love the print fabric!
Sew it seams said... (11/1/07 9:26 AM) Reply
Really nice top. It's great to "see" you again.
marjenann said... (11/1/07 8:11 AM) Reply
Great looking top! Thanks for the construction tips!!
OP Gal said... (11/1/07 7:24 AM) Reply
Yes, I did miss you. I always enjoy your reviews. I love the fabric in your top. It looks like your construction changes were for the best, resulting in a great looking top. Thanks for the review.
yorkshire lass said... (11/1/07 4:19 AM) Reply
Wonderful top, and welcome back. Oddly enough, I had been thinking of posting a message this week asking if anyone had heard from you. I have missed your reviews. I love your work and your reviews are always a treat. Mind you, it is often your fault when my pattern stash grows!!!
KathleenS said... (11/1/07 3:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for the tips about the instructions. Having a zip seems crazy. It does sound great though that you can get a ruched top out of 1 yard. I have a mid-range RTW top (very similar to New Look 6430) which has horizontal ruching on the front only across the stomach and that is stabilised with woven cotton tape. The same top has an empire waist with bust gathers and they are stabilised with clear elastic, so obviously it was a deliberate choice to use the cotton tape on the sides.
ITAdmin said... (11/1/07 3:49 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for the helpful review. Yours looks great.
CynthiaSue said... (11/1/07 1:37 AM) Reply
Yes, very cute. fabulous fabric. Who would put a zipper in this?
KarmenG said... (11/1/07 1:35 AM) Reply
Missed you Drsue! Welcome back....and I like this top. Fabulous fabric. Good idea to skip the zipper!
motomoda said... (11/1/07 0:57 AM) Reply
Yes this top looks great - I agree that a zip is just madness in a top like this. I will have to look out for this pattern.
sewbehind said... (10/31/07 11:44 PM) Reply
That top looks great. Love the fabric and if you say it looks better on you than on the dressform, you must stop traffic. Welcome back!
Mary Reed said... (10/31/07 11:05 PM) Reply
Welcome back!! Very cute top!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (10/31/07 9:31 PM) Reply
Good to see your reviews again Sue, I wondered where you went :) Great looking top, thanks for the tips and comments.
CarolynGM said... (10/31/07 9:16 PM) Reply
Welcome back to the fold, drsue! I love the ruched side seam and the fabric.
jnamcd said... (10/31/07 9:01 PM) Reply
I've missed you, too! This top is AWESOME! I might have to give it a try!
Avril said... (10/31/07 8:32 PM) Reply
Yes I missed you. Thanks for the review. Love the fabric.
Sharon M said... (10/31/07 8:12 PM) Reply
What a great looking top!
frame said... (10/31/07 7:51 PM) Reply
You top looks great. The fabric is very pretty. And yes, you have been missed!
Kay Y said... (10/31/07 7:50 PM) Reply
I did miss your reviews and am glad to see you back in the sewing groove. Great looking top.
Berniejh said... (10/31/07 7:41 PM) Reply
Yes we have missed you! Why isn't the ruched seam just sewn as a normal side seam as in that Simplicity T (can't remember the number) that we've all made? Have I missed something here??? Having said that I have a RTW top that is like this and it is stabilised with stretch elastic.
FloraNature said... (10/31/07 7:29 PM) Reply
Welcome back drsue. What a great top you made!
Athene said... (10/31/07 7:25 PM) Reply
This looks very nice. I have been thinking about getting this pattern and after seeing your version it interests me even more. Thank you for the review. It will be helpful to me.

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2013-102