Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 94778-1000 (Rock Climber Chalk Bag)

Reviewed by:GwenC

About GwenCstar
FL USA
Member since: 4/22/07
Posted on:1/10/08 11:26 AM
Last Updated:1/10/08 11:26 AM

GwenC said... (1/12/08 8:25 AM) Reply
HeyJane - Thanks so much! I actually looked into patenting it. I did a patent search and consulted with a patent attorney. Turns out that there are a bunch of similar patents that focus on purses, but with minor variations of the same basic idea (interchangeable outer layers). The attorney thought that we could get a patent through, but it would be what is often called a "vanity" patent. Because there are so many similar ones already out there, we'd have to define this one very narrowly (to avoid infringing) and in the end it wouldn't have any real "teeth". In other words, some company could make another minor variation to the design and sell it without infringing on my patent. In the end, I decided it wasn't worth it. But I'm glad I looked into it and learned a bit about the process. It was interesting. :)
GwenC said... (1/12/08 8:24 AM) Reply
JenSews2 - Oh, I'm so happy to hear that someone else can get some use of this pattern! I hope your DH and friends do love it! I'd love to see some pictures of your chalk bags some day...
GwenC said... (1/12/08 8:23 AM) Reply
RMJ - I kind of hate to admit shopping there, but the fabric is from Walmart.
GwenC said... (1/12/08 8:23 AM) Reply
ladybegood - if you are ever in central Florida, you have an open invitation to join us climbing (at our gym - no real rocks around here).
GwenC said... (1/12/08 8:21 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I didn't expect this much interest - compliments from other sewers mean SO much! :)
AnitaJ said... (1/11/08 9:24 PM) Reply
Clever design! I really like how you made the outer cover interchangeable. Climb on!
HeyJane said... (1/11/08 2:40 PM) Reply
There are several U.S. patents pending for similar designs, it seems most of them are zippered, though. I might look into a patent for that if I were you! That is a great design, extremely useful also for hunting, fishing and other things. Love the bag!
ChristineBR said... (1/11/08 8:53 AM) Reply
Cool.
JenSews2 said... (1/10/08 8:06 PM) Reply
This is WAY fun! DH will love it! He'll be the envy of his climbing buddies (who will probably request them too). Thanks for the detailed instructions.
khurtdvm said... (1/10/08 3:48 PM) Reply
Cool design!
RMJ said... (1/10/08 1:40 PM) Reply
Where did you get that marvelous fabric with the wolves?
ladybegood said... (1/10/08 1:12 PM) Reply
That's very cool. I think I am going o take up rock climbing just so I can use one!
squirrellypoo said... (1/10/08 12:38 PM) Reply
That's pretty interesting - I never thought about how climber carried the chalk before. Great job at making your own solution to the problem!

by: trinicity