Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3849 (Juniors Cropped Pants & Shorts)

Reviewed by:Sew Confused

About Sew Confusedstar
Member since: 7/13/07
Posted on:3/1/08 6:22 PM
Last Updated:5/29/08 11:53 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Junior    Pants    Skirts
babysewalot said... (12/14/10 3:11 PM) Reply
The shorts are gorgeous. My daughter would love it.
Bonnie123 said... (2/8/10 4:09 PM) Reply
Nice. You did a fantastic job. The modifications were surperb. I especially love the fabric and belt loops.
Mufffet said... (6/3/08 5:08 PM) Reply
WOW. AMAzing! I bet she loves these!
AmyABQ said... (5/30/08 10:37 PM) Reply
Awesome, your daughter should be so proud of Mom. What a great job you did on the pockets and construction overall.
nglalala said... (5/30/08 11:39 AM) Reply
it looks awesome! great job!
neuwifesews said... (3/13/08 0:19 AM) Reply
Your version is much better than the original. Much more sharp, less slouchy and cheap looking!
Birgitte said... (3/8/08 10:42 PM) Reply
How completely perfect these shorts came out!!! Just fantastic!
Annette1 said... (3/3/08 2:17 PM) Reply
So cute! I'm sure your daughter absolutely loves them. :o)
Sew Confused said... (3/2/08 10:08 PM) Reply
Hawke...it's a lot easier if you're willing to do some of the stitching by hand...
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (3/2/08 9:18 PM) Reply
WOW !! Perfect knock off, so cool looking. Your DH must love them ! Bravo and great welt pockets BTW...wish I could master those !
Sew Confused said... (3/2/08 3:51 PM) Reply
Thank you, everyone for your kind words. After seeing all the wonderful entries in the RTW contest, I felt a little intimidated about posting this review so your encouragement means a lot to me.
avancleve said... (3/2/08 1:22 PM) Reply
These are so adorable! Love it.
Larkin said... (3/2/08 1:10 PM) Reply
Wow! You've captured the spirit of your inspiration beautifully. I love the belt loops and ties.
CharityAK said... (3/2/08 12:51 PM) Reply
These turned out great, Paula! A very good reproduction! I know that was a lot of work, but you can truly be proud of your end result.
Luckylibbet said... (3/2/08 12:49 PM) Reply
Wonderfully detailed review and what a knock-off and knock-out!
Jacqui315 said... (3/2/08 12:03 PM) Reply
Great review and cool shorts! I'm glad I'm not the only one who stumbled on the fly. I took a "break" after getting to it and they ended up as another UFO. I should bring them back out.
Sigrid. said... (3/2/08 11:27 AM) Reply
Great knock-off. You can't tell you did the welt pockets for the first time, they're beautiful. Your daughter will be very, very pleased.
DorothyK said... (3/2/08 11:00 AM) Reply
This is the cutest pair of shorts I've ever seen. You've done an impeccable job.
Danvillegirl said... (3/2/08 9:51 AM) Reply
Great job!!!
lilyofthevalley said... (3/2/08 1:35 AM) Reply
Your DD's short are just stylin' as they can be. Your meticulous and painstaking work has really paid off b/c you've nailed the RTW Designer pair. I especially like your hand stitched welt pocket detail. Lovely, Lily
Leora said... (3/2/08 1:16 AM) Reply
These turned out so well, I'm sure she's loving them.
ColorMeHome said... (3/2/08 1:03 AM) Reply
Very cute! They look similar to the shorts I just bought my teenager! I will have to try to make these. Thanks for the great review.
boppingbeth said... (3/1/08 9:14 PM) Reply
cute shorts! Love the tab details on the waistband.
BJ1400 said... (3/1/08 6:40 PM) Reply
Great copy, great fit.
Sew Confused said... (1/25/08 2:35 PM) Reply
Oops, double posted.
Sew Confused said... (1/25/08 1:04 PM) Reply
Charity and Sarah, that's what I meant when I said machine backstitch. When I use the straight stitch first, then go back over it with the triple stretch stitch it looks fine. The triple stitch by itself was not quite enough. But the pocket design now has the Jennifer seal of approval, so I'm good to go...just have to hand baste the silver cotton to the denim to avoid puckering. Thanks for looking!
SarahSM said... (1/25/08 9:57 AM) Reply
Regarding the metallic thread and top stitching: I recently finished up a project with some metallic top stitching, and the stitches weren't thick even for my taste. My solution was to used a triple stretch stitch---the one that you're supposed to use on the crotch of pants, it sews a straight stitch forward, then back, then forward again. It really helped the thread "pop" and look heavier. If your machine has that stitch option, you may want to try that.
CharityAK said... (1/24/08 10:41 PM) Reply
The fit is perfect, Paula. Great job! About the topstitching...do you have a two forward, one back stitch on your machine? I use that for my Pfaff and it makes a great looking top-stitching. Other thought...this one might not be do-able...do you think you could get two metallic threads through the eye of the needle if you used a fairly large needle? Charity
sewbehind said... (1/13/08 5:52 PM) Reply
Those show real potential. The fit looks great.
MissCelie said... (1/13/08 4:52 PM) Reply
very cool. i pitched this pattern from my stash when i realized i was never going to wear them! but, they are ocming out well.

SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern