Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5043 (Misses Skirts)

Reviewed by:emo

About emostar
IL USA
Member since: 8/27/07
Posted on:3/7/08 8:19 AM
Last Updated:3/10/08 9:57 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
AnneM said... (5/9/08 11:18 AM) Reply
Very nice in your new fabric. And I love that fabric. As for that 1st version: well, sometimes the pattern designers don't know what they are talking about when they recommend a fabric!
anetJay said... (3/27/08 4:05 PM) Reply
you're hilarious and your skirt is very cool !! love it :)
Annette1 said... (3/11/08 6:19 PM) Reply
Perfect! I like your first skirt too, but this one is really sleek looking. It ends at just the right spot on your leg, too. Beautiful!
Athene said... (3/11/08 3:19 PM) Reply
I love the knit skirt.
HeyJane said... (3/11/08 10:06 AM) Reply
I already don't trust pattern makers' instructions. Now I can add I don't trust their fabric suggestions, either. What a great skirt when you did it your way, excellent !!
Mel.J said... (3/11/08 6:09 AM) Reply
Wow, that is way better. I'm glad the story had a happy ending! (apart from the MCHammer songs)
Kbenco said... (3/11/08 5:31 AM) Reply
This version is a wonderful save, and I am really glad you have a nice garment from a pattern that started out as a "terrible" ranking. It is clever of you to try a knit, I would not have thought of a knit skirt if the pattern had not suggested it first.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/11/08 0:45 AM) Reply
Okay, now this is a world of difference. Suddenly, it looks sleek and subtle but still retains a bit of mystery. Lovely, elegant, chic. (Send your first one to CharityAK and we'll demand a fashion show.) Truly, this one is superb! -Lily
Nancy Anne said... (3/10/08 10:40 PM) Reply
Good for you trying it again! You are braver than me, and it looks like it paid off. Very cute skirt, and your fabric is very attractive!
VtMartha said... (3/10/08 10:36 PM) Reply
Wow! What a difference! I was never quite clear if the earlier garment was pants or a skirt ;-) but this one is wonderful.
Annette1 said... (3/9/08 5:21 AM) Reply
Well, if Charity is warped, then I am too. I can easily see this skirt with a cute little white eyelet top (fitted, not too long) and some strappy white or flesh-colored flat sandals in the summer. I think it'd be really cute. :o) I love balloon skirts, and I most DEFINITELY don't have the figure for them, but I'm by-gosh going to make one one of these days anyway. :o) Mine'll have to be LONG, to hide a multitude of sins that you don't have to worry about. :o)
ryan's mom said... (3/8/08 8:41 AM) Reply
Thanks for the heads-up. Those skirts look cute on the models, but I always feared I'd look like I'd blow away in one. Think it's best to for me to avoid this style right now.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/7/08 8:23 PM) Reply
My thoughts were running parallel with those of CShelley, as I too pictured Lady Chiang in the King and I. I do think they're cute, just kinda weird at the same time. If you retry them in knit, please share the result with us. -Lily
Jennifer Czuprynski said... (3/7/08 6:13 PM) Reply
In the words of M.C. Hammer, "Ya Cant Touch This!"
emo said... (3/7/08 12:08 PM) Reply
Physics girl -- yes, thanks for the help on the pants; they are great. I am thrilled to hear that Hammer pants are back, of course; perhaps I will alter this pattern and make a pair for DH :)
Physics Girl said... (3/7/08 11:53 AM) Reply
Just in today: According to the New York Times, MC Hammer pants may be back (although this is the men's fashion spring 2008)!http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2008/03/09/style/t/index.html#pageName=09Hammer Yikes. I've been tempted by the bubble skirt myself... but looks like the bubble might be bust. Glad to see, however, that the Vogue pants worked well for your wardrobe!
CShelley said... (3/7/08 11:36 AM) Reply
My first though...Anna and the King of Siam. I think some fashions are meant to be worn by 6 foot tall, very very thin women. Bummer.
anuprabhu said... (3/7/08 10:39 AM) Reply
I actually agree with Julia S - I think bubble skirts just aren't for real women. I've tried RTW versions and get the same "MC Hammer - Can't Touch This effect" (can we coin that term?). The top looks great though!
greenandlilac said... (3/7/08 10:32 AM) Reply
I'm sorry it didn't work out but you should save it for a costume, when I first saw the picture I thought immediately of Turkish soldiers or the Pope's Swiss Guards.
CharityAK said... (3/7/08 10:20 AM) Reply
Okay...my taste must be warped because I LIKE the skirt. :) I do agree that a fabric with more drape would be preferably. A rayon or challis would be pretty. But I do like it. And, no, I'm not an MC Hammer fan.
Lauri Jean said... (3/7/08 10:07 AM) Reply
Ha ha! Are we married to the same man?! I'm sorry you didn't like the skirt...but I must say that it looks really pretty on you.
JuliaS said... (3/7/08 8:58 AM) Reply
I made a bubble skirt last summer and also didn't like it too much. I don't know; maybe it's an exaggerated style not suited to real life and real women? So sorry about the disappointment.

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern