Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2978 (Donna Karan)

Reviewed by:mylittleelephant

About mylittleelephantstar
NA UNITED KINGDOM
Member since: 1/1/07
Posted on:3/23/08 12:11 PM
Last Updated:3/25/08 10:46 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

AlexaNJ said... (6/28/10 2:00 PM) Reply
Great work! I'm currently sewing this dress so it's fun to see how others have made it. I had the same issue with the top casing - after I stitched it, it turned out that my top casing was too small, so I just used 1/2 elastic in all 3 waist casings. No biggie - but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!
Nancywin said... (3/25/08 11:29 PM) Reply
We are just going to have to get you blogging girl, so we can see all of your progress. Another great creations!
Kbenco said... (3/25/08 7:50 PM) Reply
This "half muslin" looks lovely on you. It was interesting to see how this dress looks in a slightly heavier fabric, and helpful to know that the sewing process requires fortitude! I think it would look great in a blouse as well, and hope you post a photo of it if you make one. Thank you for your review.
inkstain said... (3/25/08 4:30 PM) Reply
Would that I needed something to give my hips an illusion of volume, but my appetite does that without the help of Vogue. Lovely dress and great tights--I like designer fashions worn with a sense of whimsy and originality. Thanks for a great review and helpful tips on the sleeves.
staging lady said... (3/25/08 1:24 PM) Reply
Your dress looks wonderful and so much detailed info is good too. Love your cat!
mylittleelephant said... (3/25/08 10:41 AM) Reply
Thank you again everyone, and Stitchcakes, thank you for saying that, I love to see your version in which case I may change my mind and want to sew this again, and Lily, thank you for lovely comments, you are the goddess! yorkshire lass, I only checked John Lewis and couldn't see any as far as I noticed but will look for it in other shops too, thank you for your advice and congratulations for wool contest , by the way!
yorkshire lass said... (3/25/08 5:25 AM) Reply
I think the dress looks lovely on you. I like the colour too. Sorry you didn't enjoy the process. The review is wonderful in its detail though. And you can get no-roll elastic, in the UK. Just PM me if you can't get it locally and I will look up the name of the place I got mine from.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/24/08 7:01 PM) Reply
Yes, I can envision the process you were feeling while making this pretty dress. Boring? Yes. Uncertain? Yes. But you certainly have made a lovely dress and no, it is not too young for you, at all. You look beautiful, Lily
Stitchcakes said... (3/24/08 9:45 AM) Reply
Looking at the fabric requirement, I can see where this would look like a tent right up to the final elastic insertion and take miles of stitching! But, I too am more interested now in the pattern. I think instead of being put off by your review, I am just steeled for the tedious process! I could use the stitching practice anyway. :-) This looks great!
Athene said... (3/23/08 11:31 PM) Reply
I like your version much more than the pattern envelope. To me its different and interesting.
KathleenS said... (3/23/08 6:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review! I think it looks great.
emo said... (3/23/08 4:05 PM) Reply
I think this looks great!
Em's Summer said... (3/23/08 3:21 PM) Reply
Cute comfy-looking dress!!!
mylittleelephant said... (3/23/08 3:14 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone, and maryfrana, thank you for saying that " you are even more interested", I thought this review sounds a bit too negative and would put people off from this pattern which I didn't mean. And thank you for mentioning my cat CarolynGM, he is lovely but just not interested in my creation at all....
CatMukai said... (3/23/08 2:59 PM) Reply
I love your sense of humor about this being the most boring pattern ever! It turned out great though!
Beek said... (3/23/08 2:38 PM) Reply
A very stylish dress to add to your collection! I have this pattern and after seeing it made up, I am inspired to sew it. So, in my opinion, I think it's great!
Vivienne said... (3/23/08 2:20 PM) Reply
Pretty dress and I bet the soft cotton will be very comfortable if it gets warm in the summer.
CarolynGM said... (3/23/08 2:03 PM) Reply
The dress turned out really nice, despite the boring process. It's very flattering on you. Cute kitty too.
nancy2001 said... (3/23/08 1:20 PM) Reply
Very nice dress, and I prefer your version to Vogue's.
maryfrana said... (3/23/08 1:15 PM) Reply
A gorgeous dress! And thank you for the long and detailed review. Oddly I am even more interested in this dress than before though I take your word for it that it is boring to make!

by: thepattyc