Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 968 (Jeans, Low-waist)

Reviewed by:Karla Kizer

About Karla Kizerstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:6/16/03 1:54 AM
Last Updated:1/26/04 8:49 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
ghijsmom said... (5/10/13 1:13 PM) Reply
Wow! Those shorts look great!
Elle D said... (1/14/08 11:33 AM) Reply
Wow, your shorts and review make me want to buy this pattern, this fabric, that little bit of ribbon, and slavishly follow your directions. Count me as another member of your fan club.
Melissa S. said... (6/26/04 2:35 PM) Reply
I have this pattern and it never occurred to me to turn it into shorts! I will definitely try that. Thanks for the waistband tips also--like your daughter, I too have a sway-back.
Karla Kizer said... (1/27/04 7:19 PM) Reply
"If you wanted to further lower the rise, do you simply cut the top of the pants lower than the pattern calls for?" When Laura tried on the first pair of Jalie-jeans-adapted-to-shorts, I was very pleased with the fit; she was NOT pleased with the "high" waist. The shorts fit so well, that all I had to do was draw a line about 1-1/4" below the orginal seam line. When I measured the new top of the jeans, the measurement came in at exactly what her RTW pants always measure. One word of caution: with a back yoke, there is a limit to how low you can cut the pants. Laura has several pairs of jeans that have back yokes that measure only 3/4" along the side seam (that's from the waistband to the bottom of the yoke along the side seam. That's as far as I dared lower the waistband. If you decide todothis, try what some RTW manufacturers do: sew the yoke to the pants back and turn the seam allowances DOWN toward the pants before topstitching. It minimizes the effect of the tiny, shortened back yoke. And thanks for the compliments, everyone. I love your encouragement!
Dale C said... (1/27/04 1:11 PM) Reply
I like that little "designer" detail... I still haven't gotten a pair of jalie jeans made.Have to get to it after seeing how great yours are coming out.
sewgirl said... (1/27/04 10:45 AM) Reply
If you wanted to further lower the rise, do you simply cut the top of the pants lower than the pattern calls for? The, how do you adapt the waistband to fit the new line? Excellent detail with that little ribbon. May I steal your idea?
Deepika said... (1/27/04 6:33 AM) Reply
Karla that ribbon does make the shorts look very designer. And by the way they can fool not only non sewers but sewers like me too! Great job. Your daughter sure is lucky.
jlg said... (1/27/04 5:22 AM) Reply
Karla, your shorts are very nice looking. Your work is very professional.
CarrieA said... (1/26/04 9:37 PM) Reply
Karla, I love your reviews, that's why you're one of my "favorites"!
Linda E. said... (1/26/04 9:02 PM) Reply
cute shorts.. like them.
Lorna C. Newman said... (12/1/03 4:10 PM) Reply
I just ordered these in the wazoodle sale. Thanks for the insight!
Tessa said... (7/4/03 1:04 AM) Reply
Jeez, sorry Karla. I should have checked I had your name right before I hit "submit."
Tessa said... (7/4/03 1:02 AM) Reply
Thanks, Kayla. I think I'll start with size X. It'll be easier to take in than let out, especially with only 3/8" for seam allowance.
els said... (7/3/03 10:04 PM) Reply
Hi Karla I love your writing, very clear and with some humor which makes me smile , count me in as another fan.
Karla Kizer said... (7/3/03 9:45 PM) Reply
Tessa, because I was making shorts, not jeans, I wanted them to have just a little more ease than a jeans-fit would have. For my daughter whose hips (this month) are exactly the W size, I used a W front and an X back. (I am nothing, if not inconsistent...) To make the side seams the same length, I used a generous seam allowance to attach the yoke and the pants back. If I were making jeans , I'd have used W for both the front and back. If you are not certain how snug you'll want these, you could cut the larger size and just use a larger side seam allowance if you feel the fit is too generous. At least, that's what I'm going to do when I try making these for myself.
Tessa said... (7/3/03 1:30 PM) Reply
Karla, encouraged by this review I just got this pattern for myself (I DON'T want my underwear showing!). Did you use the size that corresponds to your daughter's actual hip measurement? My hips are 40", so that would be between size W and X. I see the pattern says there is only 3/4" ease on the hips, so that is quite fitted - is that what you found? I don't mind fitted, but I do want to be able to get them on and still sit down!!
Peggy L said... (6/17/03 5:22 PM) Reply
We're going to nominate you "Mother of the Year"! I've made the thongs but I'm passing on the jeans! Great review.
Deepika said... (6/17/03 9:40 AM) Reply
Karla isnt it great when you make something for someone and not only does it fit but they like it too! Thanks for such a wonderful review. I havent tried any of Jalie's patterns but I am really tempted to now! And please count me in as one of your fans too!!!!
Mel.J said... (6/17/03 2:40 AM) Reply
Karla, your review is very entertaining! (Brought a smile to my face.) Good luck with the 3" zipper style that has been popular... do you shut your eyes when your daughter leaves the house wearing something like that & remember your own parents?
Karla Kizer said... (6/16/03 10:15 PM) Reply
Rose, that's the right pattern. I don't know why they describe it as "boot-cut" in one place and "straight-leg" in another...same pattern. The denim IS a problem. I don't pass a fabric store now without checking out the denim. But this pattern would also work in twill and corduroy, so your "muslin" could be a pair of khakis instead of blue denim. Diane, I'm making you president of my fan club ;-). Communicating with the membership shouldn't be a problem; look in the mirror. I'm relieved that someone can follow my "stream-of-consciousness" writing style. Thanks!
Diane E said... (6/16/03 6:20 PM) Reply
Karla, I am so glad to read your review. I just bought this pattern from Julie at Timmel Fabrics, and I eagerly await its arrival. I am even more excited now that I've read of your success. Thanks. p.s. I love your writing style, signed, a fan....
Rosie who use to be Rose said... (6/16/03 12:25 PM) Reply
Karla, Is this pattern the "low waisted boot cut pants"? Also where did you get the denim. I also have a college age DD who just told me that maybe I could make a pair, but that I wouldn't be able to find the right type of denim (errr).
Karla Kizer said... (6/16/03 9:26 AM) Reply
Pam, I don't think I looked at the instructions, so I can't comment on that. I kept a couple pairs of RTW jeans next to me while I sewed, and used their construction as a guide. Rhonda, the pattern is designed to have a slightly low-riding waist; the waistband is longer than the waist measurement for each size, making it right for the high abdomen. Dale, I hope you have the same good experience with your jeans pattern that I had with this one.
Dale C said... (6/16/03 6:16 AM) Reply
That's a great idea for the back waistline. I'll have to try that one. I have the highwaist jeans pattern but haven't yet tried to make it up yet. Looking forward to doing it now.
Rhonda Noah said... (6/16/03 5:58 AM) Reply
Karla, is the original pattern for low-waisted jeans, or does it sit at the natural waistline? BTW, I clicked on the Jalie website link and was surprised to see that they have a link to PR!
Pam Z said... (6/16/03 3:09 AM) Reply
Cute pattern... how did you like the instructions?

by: catintheha...