Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8469 (Very Easy Vogue Dress)

Reviewed by:contrariwise

About contrariwisestarstar
Member since: 6/17/05
Posted on:5/12/08 0:26 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Very Helpful by 38 people
Vegan said... (1/20/09 11:23 AM) Reply
Adding the bias trim was a great touch!
nefernika said... (1/20/09 11:07 AM) Reply
wow, contrariwise! You're a talented sewer, and do careful, beautiful work. What a lovely dress you've created.
dressaday said... (1/19/09 10:05 AM) Reply
This dress is fantastic! I think you should wear it all the time!
cjeffery said... (1/18/09 3:51 PM) Reply
This dress is absolutely adorable! I love the contrast trim.
khrome said... (8/2/08 2:29 PM) Reply
This dress is awsome!!!!!!! I love it!
lostinvegas0 said... (7/11/08 6:33 PM) Reply
I am going to make this dress soon. Mine is going to be in a red linen. I must say being a math teacher I am drawn to the integers. I looks great on you.
cindy-lou said... (7/10/08 8:32 AM) Reply
I just discovered your review while reading up on this Vogue pattern. GREAT DRESS! You go, girl-- in your dorm room and everything. Impressive. If you're a geek, you're the coolest one I've seen in a long time!
CurlyCrafter said... (7/3/08 12:37 PM) Reply
Fab-u-lous! I love your dress and I'm so glad I looked up the reviews before putting the pattern on my shopping list. Your dress looks better than the ones on the pattern front.
Noile said... (5/30/08 4:07 PM) Reply
Love this dress (and its name)! The bias tape is the perfect touch, and the solid tie works really well, too. I like the length of the tie -- it's a bit quirky like the dress itself. Thanks, too, for the bodice fitting tip. I'll use it when I make mine.
Leora said... (5/23/08 6:20 PM) Reply
Too cool! Thanks for sharing your backstory. I'm particularly impressed with how well put together this dress turned out!
Meggie LuLu said... (5/20/08 11:53 PM) Reply
That is such a CUTE dress!!!! What a cool print!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!
Meggie LuLu said... (5/20/08 11:52 PM) Reply
That is such a CUTE dress!!!! What a cool print!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!
Rosebeee said... (5/18/08 11:50 AM) Reply

Rosebeee said... (5/18/08 11:50 AM) Reply
Great fabric! The dress (& the ties) look fabulous! I think the ties look fine hanging down below the hem, it adds some visual interest.
Erica B. said... (5/14/08 2:39 AM) Reply
What an adorable dress! I love the fabric!
EveS said... (5/13/08 10:27 PM) Reply
What a fabulous dress!!! Seriously. I LOVE the long sash...it's what drew me to the thumbnail to begin with. The numbers were a happy little surprise when I opened the bigger picture. And small children love to touch pretty things, so I think that was a good sign. :)
Cecile Owens said... (5/13/08 9:40 PM) Reply
Absolutely perfect. Don't change a thing. Three stars.
bangerlm said... (5/13/08 7:02 PM) Reply
An "integer" is a number.
Winifred said... (5/13/08 5:44 PM) Reply
To add to everyone else-this a gorgeous dress and beautifully made. I just wish that young women like yourself in the UK would get themselves into sewing -its "sew" rewarding!! What is an "integer" dress please?
jhansby said... (5/13/08 5:05 PM) Reply
I LOVE this dress, and absolutely adore the fabric!! I think the child that kept touching it was equally attracted to the numbers! Well done and it looks great on you, too. Next time you get stuck for a zipper you should post it here....I'm sure one of us would be glad to mail you one so you don't get stuck at Joann's again!!
Lucy in Virginia said... (5/13/08 3:58 PM) Reply
I really like this dress. Even before I read your review, I was impressed with the binding you did and the contrasting sash. It so neatly contains the print to the dress without looking overdone! Doesn't look too nerdy to me; looks smashing!
bananaoil said... (5/13/08 9:16 AM) Reply
Your dress looks lovely and you did a fine job finishing the inside. I like the sash. I thought your fabric was a knit it fit so smoothly.
DivaQ said... (5/13/08 8:55 AM) Reply
Such a cute dress! I love the fabric! And I like the ties the longer length also. You did a great job!
Lisa Laree said... (5/13/08 8:24 AM) Reply
Very, very cute dress! The Math Major in me is jumping up and down and waving... great job!
bangerlm said... (5/12/08 11:02 PM) Reply
I am so jealous. I want a nerd dress. I'm a computer programmer... Love it, and I am so impressed with your skills.
ButtonFaith said... (5/12/08 10:37 PM) Reply
I love hearing about the whole background of making a dress and your story was great! The dress is adorable on you and the 'numbers' is so suited to the style...especially with the contrast which toned it down. GREAT job!
Sherril Miller said... (5/12/08 6:17 PM) Reply
Sew cute!
Suzy Sews said... (5/12/08 4:30 PM) Reply
Super cute dress! Definately wear it and have fun with it. As an engineer, thumbs up on the numbers graphic print and the matching job in back!! (Must admit I'm probably the age of many of your professors, so temper my opinion with that knowledge.) I think that shortening the ties might be visually more pleasing, but it totally wearable and looks great just as is, if you decided not to...
Tiner W said... (5/12/08 4:17 PM) Reply
That's fantastic! It shows off your interests without looking corny. I think Erin at Dress a Day calls this a "stunt dress." I love it, and you should wear it lots! BTW, I like the long sash.
AuntieShel said... (5/12/08 3:35 PM) Reply
What a fabulous dress!!!
born2bead said... (5/12/08 2:11 PM) Reply
Love the contrasting sash altho I think I might shorten it. Cute fabric too. I like the fact that you trimmed the neckline in black which ties in with the sash. Great idea!
Ann Smith said... (5/12/08 12:38 PM) Reply
This dress numbers high on my list of great sewing successes. So cute on you. Love your sewing in the dorm room story.
JBsewmonster said... (5/12/08 12:02 PM) Reply
Of COURSE you should wear this dress in public! Graphics are super stylish, and the fact that they are numbers makes it even cooler. Love it!
gatorgirl4325 said... (5/12/08 11:59 AM) Reply
Anyone who can sew in a dorm room - and come out with the fantastic result that you have - should wear that dress PROUDLY! You'll receive a lot of attention! Super job on fitting and construction!!
CShelley said... (5/12/08 11:48 AM) Reply
Love it and I think the sash looks good as is. Great job. You've inspired me to get the pattern. Thanks!
Vivienne said... (5/12/08 11:30 AM) Reply
You're right at the centre of a ternary plot with witty, sexy and cute on the axes with this dress. You'll have to tell people you're a nerd - they'd never guess otherwise.
Luckylibbet said... (5/12/08 11:25 AM) Reply
Total geek chic! Love it!
LindsayT said... (5/12/08 11:23 AM) Reply
Fun, fun, fun dress, and I loved reading about the challenges you faced with the shuttle. Oh to be a college student again....
rockontinyrebel said... (5/12/08 11:04 AM) Reply
Really great idea to combine this fun fabric and the cute pattern. Good job sewing this up!
Trenessa said... (5/12/08 10:56 AM) Reply
Wear it, wear it, wear it! This is soooo cute. I love the ties just like they are. Small child touching dress: GOOD SIGN Small child pointing at the dress and crying: bad sign ;)
Hilary said... (5/12/08 10:24 AM) Reply
I LOVE your dress-beautifully sewn and graphic looking-plus shows your own personal flair in the fabric choice-*perfect*! And I like the tie long :D This looks like a great pattern-thanks for the review. You look really cute in your new dress!
tashainflorence said... (5/12/08 8:43 AM) Reply
I just bought this pattern, so this review is very timely. It looks fantastic on you. I can't wait to make it!
carolynw said... (5/12/08 8:36 AM) Reply
Really beautiful dress - you look wonderful in it.
Kay Y said... (5/12/08 8:28 AM) Reply
Truly a great little number! It looks wonderful on you and you should definitely wear it in public, as often as possible.
CarolynGM said... (5/12/08 8:10 AM) Reply
Love your integer dress. I think it's a very good sign that small children and math/physics professors love it as much as your sewing friends. I think the ties look fine as they are, but they would also look good several inches shorter.
Lori V said... (5/12/08 8:08 AM) Reply
Fantastic dress and fun, too. I a impressed with the matching job.
AnneMarie60 said... (5/12/08 8:07 AM) Reply
This dress is as cute as it can be! It looks great on you, too. I am in awe of your sewing skills and your ability to overcome the stumbling blocks you faced trying to sew with less-than-ideal conditions. You are an amazing young woman!
utz said... (5/12/08 7:57 AM) Reply
This is a prime :) example of great sewing. Really cute on you - wear it, it's great!
Sew4Fun said... (5/12/08 7:54 AM) Reply
What a lovely, fun, flattering dress! I noticed your pattern matching on the back seam right away. I sew and I'm impressed! :) I'm also impressed about your pressing skills given the circumstances. I remember doing the same back when I was in college many years ago. :)
cindyann said... (5/12/08 7:44 AM) Reply
You executed this perfectly. Yes, the binding was a great choice as well as the contrast tie that looks just fine in the longer length. Not everyone could rock this dress like you do!!
Blooms said... (5/12/08 6:49 AM) Reply
Lovely dress. I hadn't noticed this pattern before, thanks for the review
Debbie Cook said... (5/12/08 6:47 AM) Reply
Can't decide if the dress is nerdy or actually very cool! :grin: It looks great on you. I like the longer length of the untied ties, and the matching at the back seam is flawless. Even sewing friends will be impressed. Definitely wear the dress in public and with attitude!
Kbenco said... (5/12/08 6:05 AM) Reply
This dress looks fabulous on you. I like the longer ties, I think the black stops any fussy look from the bold, fun, but a bit busy print, and makes the dress very smart. The matching looks spot on.
Twinset said... (5/12/08 2:58 AM) Reply
Fantastic! You look great in your dress, and it looks so well executed! Congrats!
MareeAlison said... (5/12/08 2:43 AM) Reply
The dress is gorgeous. I love the neckline and the contrast binding is just what's needed to stop the fabric being too busy. I think wear it and be proud of it. You look as if you stepped out of Vogue. Lovely.
SueV said... (5/12/08 2:03 AM) Reply
love it, love it! I like the trim on the neck, i like the sash long, I like the fabric. It looks very nice on you! Wear it!
Peacock Chic said... (5/12/08 1:45 AM) Reply
for all the hurdled you had to jump you did a fabulous job. Long live prime number :O)
Heatherrique said... (5/12/08 1:19 AM) Reply
Unique and chic dress! You wear the numbers with pizazz! As a numbers freak myself, where did you get this cool fabric?
Tailypo said... (5/12/08 1:13 AM) Reply
That, nerd girl, is one cute nerd girl dress. I too am impressed by your matched print. BTW, those costume sketches, are those for Fool For Love? I saw the name May and figured the guy could be Eddie. You draw very well and I like your choices there, too. Very talented all around!
rosannec said... (5/12/08 1:05 AM) Reply
Your integer dress is fabulous! It's a little quirky, but you wear it with panache :) Your ties are fine the way they are and the inside looks just as lovely! Great dress!
Dmd4106 said... (5/12/08 0:50 AM) Reply
What a cute dress! Luv the numbers and I too, am impressed with the matching job you did! Great job and review.
Caitycat said... (5/12/08 0:43 AM) Reply
Gorgeous fabric and a beautiful job - well done!

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern