Pattern Reviews> Other> V&A Museum Couture Dress (V&A Museum Couture Dress)

Reviewed by:shannie

Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people

Other Projects by shannie using this Pattern

Annette1 said... (6/23/08 7:34 PM) Reply
WOW, what a change! Great work redesigning your vintage dress to a thoroughly modern counterpart!
Elizabeth56 said... (6/10/08 10:59 PM) Reply
Hang in there your dress is very cute. Listen to advise of others and learn from other sewers and designers.
Primatoidefutile said... (6/8/08 4:59 AM) Reply
It looks really nice with these fabrics, so I hope you will be able to alter it to your satisfaction !
rachies mum said... (6/6/08 8:43 AM) Reply
thanks for the enabling!
lilyofthevalley said... (6/5/08 6:06 PM) Reply
Shannie, I'm just amazed that you completed this creation on the weekend before the close of the Contest. Wow! To grade up a vintage pattern is no small task; to complete it with the clock ticking down is unimaginable to me. Love your fabrics, too. I feel certain that you tweaking will go very well, too. Lovely, Lily
Em's Summer said... (5/31/08 11:03 PM) Reply
What a great vintage dress! I love the pockets and their placement, too! Even without the waist alteration, your dress looks very pretty! And thanks for the heads up about the free download!
Meggie LuLu said... (5/30/08 7:37 PM) Reply
That is SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! Great job!!!
Kimbra said... (5/30/08 12:37 PM) Reply
I love your dress Shannie, I hope everyone knows that the photo just doesn't do it justice!
cfabrication said... (5/30/08 0:19 AM) Reply
I am amazed that you were able to not only figure out the pattern but grade it and sew it!

I downloaded the A4 version and looked at it. It's an understatement to say it looks like it wouldn't be the easiest pattern to figure out. I wonder if the person credited with the pattern actually measured the dress and "reverse engineered" the pattern or whether she started with how the dress looked and came up with a pattern based on that.

I also wonder if the person who made the pattern sewed a sample. It seems to me surprising that your midriff piece came out so long since the overall fit is so good and that makes me wonder about the overall pattern development.

I think when you refit the waist line, you might want to lift the (fabulous!) pink trim. In the picture at the V&A site the trim is just above the bottom of the bust line -- a little higher than an empire waist would be.

The colors were an inspired choice. I'd love to see it on.

Really well done.

MagpieJen said... (5/29/08 8:21 PM) Reply
That's so cool - what a neat pattern to attempt. I really like your choice of contrast! Now you've got to get a nice, full petticoat to try it with :-) (actually, I tend to prefer not wearing petticoats with these big skirts myself, but you should try and see if you like it.)
Johanna Lu said... (5/29/08 3:18 PM) Reply
Yay, for finally seeing a review of this pretty dress. I am even more tempted now, I really like your version.
squirrellypoo said... (5/29/08 7:33 AM) Reply
thanks for making this! It's so nice to see it sewn up, even with your rush job, it's lovely.
jent said... (5/29/08 6:17 AM) Reply
This is very cool! Great color choices. I'd love to see some more pictures - especialy of you wearing it. I think your mannequin probably does not do it justice.
yorkshire lass said... (5/29/08 4:28 AM) Reply
Wow, I'm impressed. It's a gorgeous style and the colour you chose is very pretty.
angie.a said... (5/28/08 9:35 PM) Reply
Oh I'd love to see this Shannie! I hope you can enlarge the picture! Thanks for the link. :)
maryfrana said... (5/28/08 9:09 PM) Reply
Yeah! You finished. The photo is very very tiny so it's hard to see what it looks like. I am just so impressed that you tried this.

by: CJgal