Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2008-105 (Blouse/jacket)

Reviewed by:cabinbaby

About cabinbabystarstarstarstar
AK USA
Member since: 4/8/07
Posted on:5/31/08 11:20 AM
Last Updated:6/3/08 1:36 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
Athene said... (7/10/08 4:16 AM) Reply
Such a great top - got to make this one for myself and my daughter.
Sewing Chick said... (7/4/08 12:14 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. I chose this pattern to make a top with some cotton I received from Gorgeous Fabrics, and your review was most helpful. Can't wait to cut it out. Off to trace now. Hope your wedding turned out great. I'm sure you were the best dressed there!
Dilly Deli said... (7/3/08 4:46 PM) Reply
Looks good, can't wait to try it!
sb1280 said... (6/7/08 10:37 AM) Reply
Love this! When I saw it in BWOF, I liked the technical drawing but the picture was not inspiring - this is! And I had the same thought when I saw your picture - it looks like the jacket from the Sew Stylish article! I like this one better though - and I have it! Good work with the plaid as well, it looks terrific!
Athene said... (6/4/08 12:55 PM) Reply
Both your versions look so nice. This was one of my favorite pieces in that issue of BWOF so its nice to see it made up as a jacket. You sure are speedy - I wish I could be as fast. Always enjoy your reviews.
Karen6790 said... (6/3/08 10:52 PM) Reply
Said it on your blog and I'll say it again, I didn't give this a second glance in the magazine but now I have to have one. Isn't it funny there are certain BWOF patterns we all fix on and others that only the most observant notice and pass on to us. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.
2BSewing said... (6/3/08 9:08 PM) Reply
Wow! I love your latest version in the wool tweed. I like your idea of using snaps and then using the covered buttons. Great job!
EveS said... (6/3/08 9:03 PM) Reply
Dang your speedy! Another great version. I, too, LOVE covered buttons! And I used the exact same cheater-snap closure last time I used them, too. Lovely! :)
Winifred said... (6/3/08 5:15 PM) Reply
So So lovely. Must make it now - have been dithering!
Elke said... (6/3/08 9:42 AM) Reply
This jacket is so versatile depending on fabric choice...love what you did with it!
CarolynGM said... (6/3/08 8:41 AM) Reply
Very flattering style, both the top and the jacket.
Ronda Rae said... (6/3/08 7:59 AM) Reply
This one is great, too. Mine is almost finished and I really like it! Plus- for my first BWOF, it actually fits well! I won't be able to finish it for a another week - vacation starts today. I wanted to finish it last night but had to stay late at work to finish *it*. (I'd use the appropriate smiley if I could) Good to know it can be made almost exclusively on the serger, too. I thought it could.
MissCelie said... (6/3/08 7:35 AM) Reply
I like it! This is one of the patterns from that month that really stood out to me!
Lori V said... (6/3/08 7:06 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket, I want to make this one, so thanks for the informative review.
Annette1 said... (6/3/08 2:12 AM) Reply
Very nice! I love what you've done with the stripes in your tweed fabric. :o)
lilyofthevalley said... (6/2/08 11:22 AM) Reply
Like Eve, I thought this blouse was not shown to its best effect in the magazine, but your interpretation brings new life to the design. I love the plaid on you, too; you have the perfect body type for this glen plaid. So flattering. Will you ever wear it with the skirt you made from the same plaid? Lovely, Lily
EveS said... (6/2/08 0:57 AM) Reply
I couldn't decide if I liked this blouse or not in the magazine, but I really, REALLY like your version! I may need to reconsider it.
cathy45 said... (6/1/08 6:36 PM) Reply
This is so on my to do list--I never thought of it as a jacket---hmmm.
2BSewing said... (6/1/08 4:36 PM) Reply
Wow...I think your top is beautiful. The fabric is perfect. I adore tops with pleats.
Ronda Rae said... (5/31/08 5:09 PM) Reply
That shirt is definitely on my sew list. I'm glad you reviewed it. I cut my first muslin out last weekend of that shirt and forgot to add seam allowances!!! It would have been my first BWOF so tomorrow I'm going to try again with tracing it and cutting out the pieces WITH seam allowances. The fit of yours is perfect!
morzel said... (5/31/08 4:55 PM) Reply
Very cute!
michellep74 said... (5/31/08 4:44 PM) Reply
Great looking top. I liked this in the magazine, but I like your version even better.
fuzzygalore said... (5/31/08 1:20 PM) Reply
I didn't really like the leastic on their pink, but I really like your version! And you're right it'd be a perfect summer jacket, and I'd love some Japanese seersucker.. mm. Thanks for the inspiration :-).
Elke said... (5/31/08 12:54 PM) Reply
Very cute and stylish!
emo said... (5/31/08 12:10 PM) Reply
This looks so great! I see you finally got the May issue... :) I had overlooked this, but now it's on the to sew list.
SewFar said... (5/31/08 12:03 PM) Reply
Edited to remove moot point. :)
Seamingly Simple said... (5/31/08 12:00 PM) Reply
This is a great top. I can see how, in a different fabric, it would make a great jacket, too.
Ann Smith said... (5/31/08 11:37 AM) Reply
Really cute blouse. It will be wonderful in the wool too I think.
Vintage Joan said... (5/31/08 11:31 AM) Reply
This is so perfect on you! What a great blouse.
SewFar said... (5/31/08 11:25 AM) Reply
This top looks great on you, cabinbaby! We seem to have very similar tastes in BWOF -- I have this cut out, waiting to be sewn! Thanks for the helpful review.

Understanding Wool Fabrics