Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2959 (Laura Lynn Collection)

Reviewed by:smithopfer

About smithopferstar
Member since: 7/19/05
Skill level:Expert/Couture
Posted on:8/3/08 9:24 PM
Last Updated:8/4/08 1:46 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people    Off-topic by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

MountainGirl520 said... (10/11/09 3:34 PM) Reply
Smithopfer, thank you so much for designing this pattern! It's a beautiful and versatile dress. My mom and I are starting on it now for my wedding next fall. What do you think about using the muslin mock-up we're doing as the lining for the final silk dress?
Nyssa said... (4/13/09 3:19 AM) Reply
HELP PLEASE??!!! I am making this dress for a bridesmaid however she has told me she doesn't want the frill at the bottom (on option C) or the I don't know why she picked it if she doesn't want the features on it...but can this dress be made with no tie? I think it would still need the wrap bit at the front but I don't know if it would work at all. Plus, I think it would look funny like that. Any suggestions anyone???
Spring said... (4/6/09 12:05 PM) Reply
OMG! Im buying this one next time Im out...just in case I ever need it. I love it.
jgl said... (3/19/09 3:32 AM) Reply
your dress looks far more lovely than the photo on the pattern jacket.
Annette1 said... (8/15/08 9:24 PM) Reply
Dang it, I had a BRILLIANT comment, but I closed out the screen and lost it. At any rate, I was saying that I used to be a photojournalist, and one of the best parts of that job was knowing that I was getting the information straight from the SOURCE. Well, YOU'RE the source in this instance, so PLEASE keep reviewing your designs, and give us ALL THE GORY DETAILS. It's impossible to give too much information on Pattern Review, because people have the ability to just skip over what they don't want to read, we're not charged by the word, and we don't have to cram our reviews into the 3x3 open slot on page 3. :o) That's the way I look at it. As for your design, I LOVE it. I have to agree with some of the others here and say that I'm not so sure I would have even noticed it were it not for your photo highlighting this lovely design. I think it would so pretty even as a sundress in cotton or linen. I bet your brides would be honored to have their pictures featured here on Pattern Review in all of your FUTURE REVIEWS. :o) Thanks for highlighting this little sleeper for us.
EveS said... (8/15/08 1:33 AM) Reply
The photo is lovely, but it really doesn't tell me a whole lot about the pattern. I'd love to have more specific information re construction, the pattern instructions, etc. that I could refer to if I ever chose to make this dress myself.
SarahSews said... (8/14/08 11:10 AM) Reply
Simply Stunning!
annaminiac said... (8/8/08 7:14 PM) Reply

annaminiac said... (8/8/08 6:40 PM) Reply
I love that you reviewed this dress. I'm attempting to make this as my wedding dress in silk taffeta with a gorgeous slightly shimmery chiffon for the sashes. Do you think the dress would be as beautiful if the skirt were slightly less full? I'm petite and think the skirt might be a bit much for my height.
JamieLiz said... (8/6/08 10:09 PM) Reply
Really beautiful! I would love to see this dress done in the shorter version.
Sheila457 said... (8/6/08 11:10 AM) Reply
Breathtakingly stunning gown.
shesflipped said... (8/6/08 9:17 AM) Reply
This is simply stunning! Thank you for sharing this gorgeous design with us!
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/4/08 8:33 PM) Reply
OMG! What a beautiful gown. I agree with leanmeansewingmachine; the photography is outstanding. Simplicity should use your photo.
SueV said... (8/4/08 7:19 PM) Reply
more construction techniques or an actual pattern review would be helpful. thanks
PVA said... (8/4/08 6:20 PM) Reply
Wow! At first I thought someone made a mistake & switched the pattern photo with the reviewer's photo! (My Bad!) I will definitely get this pattern -- I have at least one DGD who could wear this dress. I would hate myself if I didn't have it in the stash & she asked if I'd make. . .(fill in the blanks.) Thank you for the review. What a beautiful creation & spectacular photo!
Squeezylemon said... (8/4/08 5:23 PM) Reply
Why on earth are Simplicity not showing a photo of your gorgeous design on the pattern envelope? I wouldn't look twice at their drawing, but the dress is superb!
DorothyK said... (8/4/08 4:19 PM) Reply
Exquisite. I wish I had an excuse to make it.
avancleve said... (8/4/08 2:59 PM) Reply
Amazing. I agree that the pattern on the envelope does not do the dress justice. More than once, I have purchased a pattern based on a pattern review photo that I would never have purchased based on the envelope pattern.
AngieC said... (8/4/08 2:55 PM) Reply
All I can say is WOW!
fuzzygalore said... (8/4/08 2:28 PM) Reply
It's not really silly, but it is definitely spam..
Stacy Sews said... (8/4/08 2:16 PM) Reply
Not only is the dress spectacular, but the photo is gorgeous too.
DaisyEsq said... (8/4/08 1:56 PM) Reply
This gown is truly beautiful. I'd love to hear more about the construction process.
michellep74 said... (8/4/08 1:36 PM) Reply
Wow, that gown is stunning! Just based off that picture, if that gown was available in a non-strapless version, I might even consider it for my own wedding in a year!
cindyann said... (8/4/08 11:57 AM) Reply
I couldn't help myself and had to see if you had a website. Your work is fantastic! Really impressive.
born2bead said... (8/4/08 10:49 AM) Reply
It's absolutely gorgeous and you take the best pictures. Is it possible to attach a larger view - this one is pretty small.
Mary Stiefer said... (8/4/08 9:38 AM) Reply
I, too, think this is so beautiful. Love your photo but certainly would appreciate some closeups to see the detailing.
Timmithea said... (8/4/08 9:23 AM) Reply
The gown is very beautiful on the model you have shown. I would not have touched this pattern had I not seen your interpretation. I go to many balls and would love to see this dress in a different color. How striking.
Kay Y said... (8/4/08 9:19 AM) Reply
That is spectacular! I wish that your review told us more about the construction of the gown. More pictures would be very welcome too!
Vonnevo said... (8/4/08 3:51 AM) Reply
Your gown is spectacular and I would never have guessed it was that Simplicity pattern. I would appreciate any tips you can add for the construction and perhaps the most suitable fabrics to use. I am adding the pattern to my wish list so that I have it when a need arises. The design is elegant and timeless.
CynthiaSue said... (8/4/08 1:25 AM) Reply
I mean SERIOUSLY, that Simplicity picture is hideous. This gown belongs on a celebrity or princess. How could they massacre it so? The bodice does not represent the true beauty of the gown. You are very talented and this is a true beautiful, classsic.
Lori V said... (8/3/08 11:12 PM) Reply
This is a stunning dress and I agree with the others, this picture should be used by Simplicity.
Sew4Fun said... (8/3/08 11:03 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning gown! Please don't feel silly reviewing your own design. It's really no different than any of us reviewing our own self-drafted patterns. It's so wonderful to see a pattern made by the designer, exactly as it was intended. It's a beautiful design! I love the bodice. If you have any construction tips that Simplicity didn't include in the instructions I'd love to hear them.
okie2thdoc said... (8/3/08 10:03 PM) Reply
They should use your picture on the envelope. I agree, it's very flattering- it doesn't hurt to look like her either;)
leanmeansewingmachine said... (8/3/08 10:02 PM) Reply
Can't decide what's more spectacular, the dress or the entire photograph! Your picture is much better than the pattern envelope. The dress and the design are really fantastic! (BTW, I live in Lakewood!)

by: Kathhhhhy