Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2671 OOP (Christian Dior Coat)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

About Kay Ystarstarstarstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 11/21/04
Posted on:11/11/08 10:03 PM
Last Updated:11/11/08 10:11 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Elona said... (1/26/09 8:06 PM) Reply
Kay, I was out of the country when you posted this, but I want to applaud your lovely work and your attention to the spirit of this strange, beautiful design. This pattern was from a brief, golden age of couturier patterns, and you really did honor to it.
Harriet Rogers said... (11/14/08 4:28 PM) Reply
Congratulations on a magnificent creation. Coat is absolutely stunning, and I admire your perseverance and your talent.
solosmocker said... (11/13/08 8:28 PM) Reply
This is incredibly stylish and so beautifully made. Thanks for taking us on your ride. It's gorgeous.
LindsayT said... (11/13/08 2:43 PM) Reply
I love the vintage look of your coat. Congratulations on finishing it.
Nancywin said... (11/13/08 0:23 AM) Reply
Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing all the photos of the process. I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment out of this one of a kind piece!
Twinset said... (11/12/08 9:25 PM) Reply
Wow, this is a truly beautiful coat! What a great piece you now have in your wardrobe; I'm impressed by your skills and I'm tired just reading all the work that went into this! The fabric you used is really interesting too!
DebJ said... (11/12/08 7:08 PM) Reply
Well Kay, sounds like you got over your hump you were talking about on Saturday! Love the coat and can't wait to see it at the next meeting. May be it will be cold enough that you can actually wear it!
Birgitte said... (11/12/08 1:31 PM) Reply
Spectacular coat and workmanship. I also love the length. Thanks for this very detailed review.
Mahler said... (11/12/08 12:34 PM) Reply
The final result is magnificent. The drape (if it is the right word) is stunning. I love the look of your fabric cut on bias. This project is absolutely out of the ordinary. Fabulous.
Nancy K said... (11/12/08 11:14 AM) Reply
Fabulous coat! Great review as usual. You really did an amazing job on this. I love the style and it should be very warm for your Canadian winters.
crisford said... (11/12/08 10:57 AM) Reply
Fabulous work, and the coat looks fantastic! You have added some really wonderful details. This is very inspiring to see a project that took some time and couldn't be rushed.
amy in mpls said... (11/12/08 10:50 AM) Reply
Such beautiful work, what crafts-womanship! not only that, but its beautiful. the description is right, a timeless style. I love it.
moushka said... (11/12/08 10:18 AM) Reply
Kay, impeccable work, fabulous results. Your coat is stunning. Hope you get to wear and enjoy it for many, many years. Thank you for documenting the process for us.
mylittleelephant said... (11/12/08 9:36 AM) Reply
This is really an amazing coat and such a enjoyable review to follow, so much information here. Thank you for taking time to write this review, now I would love to search for this pattern!
piffle said... (11/12/08 8:04 AM) Reply
Oh! You win! This is very well done. Thanks for all your detailed tailoring notes. They are very helpful.
marjenann said... (11/12/08 7:58 AM) Reply
Great pattern, great fabric, impeccable workmanship! A real winner! Thanks for sharing! Annette
squirrellypoo said... (11/12/08 6:21 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!! You've shamed me - my BWOF coat is still only about a quarter finished...
Heatherrique said... (11/12/08 5:46 AM) Reply
Masterclass! Beautiful coat!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (11/12/08 5:15 AM) Reply
This is just divine! I love the grain contrast on the front panel and the coat hangs so nicely on the bias. Fabulous work and a great interpretation of this classic pattern.
Sigrid. said... (11/12/08 2:42 AM) Reply
What an achievement. Fabulous coat and review. I just browsed all your pictures and this is a masterpiece on the outside and the inside. Enjoy this couture piece.
Athene said... (11/12/08 2:39 AM) Reply
It such a lovely coat. Beautiful detailing. I love reading your reviews.
marec said... (11/12/08 0:55 AM) Reply
Amazing detail. I really like the unexpected strip of red lining. I cannot wait to see a pic of you wearing this coat with a red scarf!
Mary Nanna said... (11/12/08 0:53 AM) Reply
wow - what can I say that others haven't, except you are just the most amazing sewer! Congratulations on the most beautifully made coat. Thank you for sharing all your tips!
suesmith said... (11/11/08 9:51 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat - can't wait to see it with the buttons. Love the piping and bias cut details.
DaisyEsq said... (11/11/08 7:45 PM) Reply
The progress you have made is wonderful. Your workmanship is fantastic. Not only is the coat stylish, it will keep you very warm. Well done.
Annette1 said... (9/9/08 2:36 AM) Reply
I LOVE your piping!
cecelia said... (9/8/08 9:02 AM) Reply
This is really looking good. You've put so much time and work into this coat. I can't wait to see it finished.
janlorraine said... (9/8/08 8:47 AM) Reply
Wow! Some job. I would really like to see the pattern pieces. I am intrigued especially by the shoulder treatment. Is that one bias piece that goes over the shoulder eliminating the usual shoulder seam? I love these intricate designs.
lmg said... (9/7/08 11:37 PM) Reply
Oh wow. What a great project. It is looking like it will be a masterpiece. I too have lost a needle in my machine...maybe there's a special sewing black hole in the universe.
Elona said... (9/7/08 10:54 PM) Reply
Splendid thus far, Kay! I can hardly wait to see the next phase.
Re Becca said... (9/7/08 8:53 PM) Reply
OK, great progress, the front piece looks really good and you will be glad that you added the leather piping, it really snaps.
Mahler said... (9/7/08 7:57 PM) Reply
Oh la la !!! I am predicting an absolute master piece. Already, the collar falls flawlessly, avec des points de chevron a la main !!! (I do not know how to call those in English) Superbe deja ! I am eager to follow all progresses.
hongkongshopper said... (9/7/08 7:17 PM) Reply
Your coat is looking gorgeous! Love the piping. Hopefully it will be worth the stress in the long run. Sewing your finger doesn't sound like fun though!
Re Becca said... (8/28/08 11:26 AM) Reply
Very informative and intriguing as always! Tell me, when you lower the neck edge in front, will you change the collar in the front?
Luckylibbet said... (8/25/08 1:19 PM) Reply
What a great pattern! chock full of exquisite designer details - Vogue patterns at its best! Your review so far is extremely helpful... thanks for walking us through the process.
Flying Seamstress said... (8/24/08 7:19 PM) Reply
What an interesting bias-cut design; your muslin fabric really shows it to advantage & I'm sure your wool fabric with piping trim will be a show-stopper! Looking forward to viewing your progress and the finished coat. Thank you so much for sharing!
wreninrome said... (8/24/08 4:57 PM) Reply
great fabric choice...i think it'll look awesome
Liana said... (8/24/08 3:56 PM) Reply
Great pattern, and I really like the striped fabric, too. I think you should think about making this as an evening coat too, especially with the fit. It's obviously going to be a special occasion coat anyway. It would be a lovely Spring Coat in the right fabric, and you wouldn't have to worry about wearing heavy things under it. How about extra interfacing at the CB of the collar, in the stand area for a ways around? That would make it stand better I'd think, along with your plan.
Mahler said... (8/24/08 1:12 PM) Reply
What an interesting pattern. I am certain that people will stop you on the street to compliment you. This coat will be fabulous. Once finished, it will leave behind most of the 2000$ coasts I see at Holt Renfrew. What a precious talent you have. You are a great source of inspiration.
Karla Kizer said... (8/24/08 12:48 PM) Reply
You are intrepid. At about 1/3 of the way through the process, I would have been online ordering a jacket from Lands End. Your final version will be fantastic.
DorothyK said... (8/24/08 12:17 PM) Reply
A very exciting pattern. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Athene said... (8/24/08 11:45 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing your project. The muslin looks really good so I'm eager to see the coat in the fashion fabric on completion.
QuiltersFan said... (8/24/08 10:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for including this as a work in progress. Gor those of us with less sewing expertise and experience it is really helpful to see someone work through the process. The muslin looks great but I can imagine the final product being really special. Looking forward to seeing it.
Kellie R. said... (8/24/08 10:06 AM) Reply
Wow! This is a real head turner! I'll be following this project closely. Great job so far!
Nancy K said... (8/24/08 10:02 AM) Reply
Fabulous pattern. It fits really well, but obviously your Canadian winter needs a serious winter coat! Are you going to increase the ease? Are you interlining and using a wind shield on this?
DaisyEsq said... (8/24/08 9:28 AM) Reply
You have done a marvelous job on the fit; the muslin is actually very pretty. Both the fit and style are perfect for you. I can't wait to see the finished coat.
carolynw said... (8/24/08 8:51 AM) Reply
Kaay this is so nice and the fabric gives it that added extra to take it waaay out of the ordinary - am always impressed by your work/choice of faric
Fran G said... (8/24/08 8:06 AM) Reply
How wonderful! I love your muslin fabric!! I immediately envisioned you going to the Opera or The Four Seasons holiding a gorgeous clutch! Do you watch the TV series Mad Men? This coat would fit in perfectly! I cannont wait to see you real "going to actually wear" version..A fur scarf..right on the mark with fashion. You are one of the people who has influenced me..muslin maker? me? no. After seeing all of your beautiful projects, I am now : muslin maker? me? always!
Lilibet said... (8/24/08 6:37 AM) Reply
Gorgeous pattern. I love your planned fabric for it. This looks to me like a coat dress. They were very fashionable in the early sixties and were designed to be worn "as is" rather than over other clothing which is probably why it is so close fitting.
Karen8320 said... (8/24/08 1:36 AM) Reply
Kay, I think you've done a fabulous job already with your muslins!!! This looks to be a very exciting journey but I know that you will nail it beautifully and end up with a fantastic looking coat. Kudos to you for having a go at this. I will look forward to seeing how things go and, of course, the finished coat.
Annette1 said... (8/24/08 0:38 AM) Reply
Well, I even like this in the curtain fabric -- ha! LOVE the use of the bias grain, and your fabric of choice will highlight that beautifully. You've nailed the fit, too. I love the overall silhouette. (I've always been a fan of Dior's coats.) And, as usual, I pick some obscure detail as my "favorite," and this time it's the shoulders! :o)
Elona said... (8/23/08 10:20 PM) Reply
I think this puppy may date from the 60s, a veritable attack of Carnaby Street. It is a most unusual pattern, and it will be interesting to see what you do with it.

SewBaby Totpacks Pattern