Online Sewing Class: Fit the Tee to a T

Pattern Reviews> Stretch & Sew> 1500 (T-Shirt Dress and Top)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:3/16/02 9:15 PM
Last Updated:9/8/02 11:55 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
purpleseamstress said... (1/7/07 0:45 AM) Reply
Looks like I need this pattern. I like the color of your shirt dress, looks very ready to wear and comfortable.
Klutzy said... (10/13/06 8:00 AM) Reply
I think this is the pattern I've been searching for to duplicate a $200 dress I fell in love with. Can these knits be sewn on a regular machine, and if so, are there instructions somewhere? I'm new here and can't post a question for a week! Who came up with that rule?!
said... (9/10/02 4:37 PM) Reply
Hi Deepika: Sometimes I get vertical wrinkles as well. You have gotten a lot of help with how to handle this on your next garment, but one thing that works for me on a finished garment is shoulder pads. I am not talking about "soldier shoulders, but a small pad (1/8 to 1/4th thickness) can do wonders. I don't know if this is appropriate for you, but it won't cost much to try it. Personally, I use small shoulder pads in almost all of my garments. Makes my 5"3' height look taller. And I LOVE looking taller. Give it a try :>) Michele
said... (9/9/02 6:05 PM) Reply
That's a great dress! I just looked at this pattern and really like the variety they have for necklines. especially the collared one. I sometimes get that wrinkle in the upper chest, but it's because I have so little to fill it up. I do a similar alteration to what Mini advised and it works well for me too. If you do this with a fitted sleeve though, you'll also need to check on the cap to make sure it will still be side enough... Don't forget, I did once, and it was a pain to try and squeeze out a bit more space in that cap.
said... (9/9/02 3:50 PM) Reply
Deepika, I absolutely love that dress+ the color is great. Congrats!
said... (9/9/02 3:17 PM) Reply
Great shirt (& dress). I started using a twin needle after reading Connie Long's book on sewing with knits and have been very pleased with the results. It definitely adds that professional touch. I get those kind of wrinkles, too, and the wrinkle points to the problem. That means I have to do a full bust alteration when I run into that wrinkle. Marta Alto & Pati Palmer really get into the nitty gritty of that alteration in their newer fitting book (if I could keep only ONE sewing book in my collection, it would be that one). That wrinkles usually looks like you should just pinch out that excess in a dart but if you do a full bust alteration, it might take care of it. It seems weird, but the armhole won't wrinkle like that. Your shirt and dress look like the shoulder is slightly extended. You might need a little scooping that the others have mentioned as it will take out some of that extra width. Mini's suggestion might work, too. I just know if I get that type of wrinkle, then I know that particular pattern needs the full bust adjustment.
said... (9/9/02 2:51 PM) Reply
Deepika - beautiful shirt! It's hard to believe you've been sewing such a short time! Mini-thanks for the alteration tip - I've got that problem too!
said... (9/9/02 12:32 PM) Reply
yes Mini, I have that book. I will check it and do the necessary alterations. Thanks!
said... (9/9/02 12:25 PM) Reply
Deepika, do you have Marcy Tilton's guide to sewing tops? She has a fix for this. It involves scooping out the armhole curve-only on the bodice front. This takes a little trial and error as the amount varies depending on your figure. If you doo the upper chest comparison I mentioned, you will see how much difference there is between you and the pattern. You will need to remove approximately 1/2 on each side. There are some other alteration methods, but I would have to look them up. This one has worked for me.
said... (9/9/02 12:18 PM) Reply
"near each sleeve seam, then can you can see if the wrinkles are diminished." Mini I tried this and you are right. It does remove the wrinkles. My next question: how do I alter the pattern to remove them permanently?
said... (9/9/02 12:02 PM) Reply
P.S. I ordered this attern after Deepika's review. It was out of print, and I had to wait months until they printed more. Now that I have it, I am looking forward to using it soon.
said... (9/9/02 11:59 AM) Reply
Yes. that can cause this type of wrinkle. I find that many patterns are too wide across the upper chest-even when the back width is correct. You can check this by measuring how wide your upper chest is when your arms are at your sides. Compare this width to the upper chest of the front pattern piece. They need to be the same width for a wrinkle-free fit. This is one of the few cases where the garment measurement and your body measurement should be identical (or within a small fraction of an inch.) For a quick diagnostic check, try this: pin out 2 little vertical tucks in the top, one near each sleeve seam, then can you can see if the wrinkles are diminished.
said... (9/9/02 10:43 AM) Reply
Deepika, I get those wrinkles too. I'd love to know why. Don't vertical wrinkles usually mean too much width?
said... (9/9/02 0:56 AM) Reply
Wow, Deepika, it's really beautiful! I like the tops you got out of the same fabric as well.
said... (9/9/02 0:33 AM) Reply
Deepika, this is one of my favorites also. I did the mock turtleneck dress, and also used the pattern to cut out a full, turn over turtleneck top. (I just measured the collar of one RTW I liked.) I also top stitch the collar using my knit twin needle, one needle on the garment and one on the collar. Looks very "Land's End".
said... (3/18/02 9:59 PM) Reply
Deepika, what a lovely dress! It looks great on you! What a versatile pattern - you'd hardly need any others (ha!).
said... (3/18/02 7:08 PM) Reply
Great job on the dress and the review you wrote. The dress looks wonderful on you!
said... (3/18/02 2:58 AM) Reply
great dress! i'm glad you're delighted with the pattern, too!
said... (3/17/02 12:35 PM) Reply
I love your dress also. PR is great!
said... (3/17/02 11:56 AM) Reply
Love your dress
said... (3/17/02 9:24 AM) Reply
What a cute dress!
said... (3/17/02 1:02 AM) Reply
Now, that is a great way to come out of a sewing dry spell! The dress could not be cuter, I especially like the cap sleeves. Congrats!
said... (3/16/02 11:32 PM) Reply
Thanks Linda, It was really easy to sew.
said... (3/16/02 11:26 PM) Reply
Deepika you dress is beautiful really looks good on you.

Simplicity 2067