Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5752 (The Perfect Knit Dress)

Reviewed by:Barbara V

About Barbara Vstarstarstarstar
Posted on:10/20/08 11:00 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Very Helpful by 24 people

radollrose said... (11/30/10 3:37 AM) Reply
How well a garment turns out is based on choosing the right fabric for the pattern and using a pattern that fits your body (or making the necessary adjustments.) This is an example of getting both perfect! Even your accessories are right on. Just beautiful!
Living Beauty said... (1/9/10 8:07 AM) Reply
This dress looks beautiful on you. You did a very good job with the fitting and construction. Your accessories attest to your good taste and style. I could learn a lot from you!
busymomof3 said... (5/21/09 11:29 PM) Reply
I love your dress!! I just orderd some knit and hope to find this pattern this weekend! I really want a dress like yours!!
Heatherrique said... (5/20/09 4:42 PM) Reply
Such a delectably gorgeous dress, Barbara!
Christas said... (4/15/09 6:24 PM) Reply
Very pretty... love the color of this!
NurseByrd said... (11/6/08 3:45 PM) Reply
I am going to make this in black knit to wear out for my anniversary. Wish me well, I am a beginner and I always procrastinate because of fear.
AnneM said... (11/5/08 4:30 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. Wonderful fabric also (I've heard great things about CJ's fabric).
Mahogany Stylist said... (10/27/08 3:07 PM) Reply
Barbara, Your dress is beautiful. The color is pleasantly warm. It's a perfect fit. I plan to try this pattern soon. Thanks for the review.
Barbara V said... (10/26/08 10:59 AM) Reply
Athene, Yes, I found the sizing to be good and true to sizing. I cut size 8 for my upper body then graded out to size 12 for hips. Of course rayon lycra knit is very forgiving and allows for more success in fit and comfort. Also Palmer/Pletsch's tissue fitting suggestions really assist in achieving the correctly altered pattern for each body type.
Athene said... (10/26/08 2:29 AM) Reply
Very flattering dress and such a pretty color on you. How would you rate the sizing of the pattern? Is it true to size?
Barbara V said... (10/23/08 11:03 PM) Reply
Dorothy, This order of seam construction can be done almost all of the time whenever there are both horizontal and vertical seams. It just gives a bit more opportunity to fine fit and certainly is easier to rip the vertical side seams if necessary then to have to undo it the other way.
DorothyK said... (10/23/08 9:12 PM) Reply
This dress is stunning on you. I love the order in which you sewed it, with side seams last. That seems so logical. Is this something that can be done most of the time, or did it just work with this pattern?
Sharon M said... (10/21/08 10:04 PM) Reply
Love it! I have this pattern and was wondering if it is as wonderful sewn as it appears on the envelope. I really like the color you choose too!
Mahler said... (10/21/08 5:58 PM) Reply
Thank you for this brief and excellent review. I am a true fan of orange fabric. I am kindly envious of you dress. You look fabulous in it.
MareeAlison said... (10/21/08 5:19 PM) Reply
This is an absolutely gorgeous dress.
carolynw said... (10/21/08 2:05 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful - a real WOW!!
Amanda S. said... (10/21/08 1:24 PM) Reply
Truly a wonderful dress. Looks flawless. Great color and fit on you as well. I have this ready for making in the spring, but I think your color choice makes it a perfect fall/Thanksgiving dress.
sewbehind said... (10/21/08 11:25 AM) Reply
Barbara, you really nailed that one! It looks fantastic. Thank you for your advice about additional fitting for the sides. I have this pattern and will follow your tips.
nglalala said... (10/21/08 10:40 AM) Reply
It looks great on you! Very nicE!
kasizzle said... (10/21/08 10:08 AM) Reply
Beautiful! You've inspired me to try this pattern!
Sew it seams said... (10/21/08 10:02 AM) Reply
I love your dress. It does look like a perfect knit dress! Thank you for the tip on sewing the front and back separately for additional fitting.
gatorgirl4325 said... (10/21/08 9:57 AM) Reply
That is the 'perfect knit dress' on you! The color is wonderful - you look great!
pamscott said... (10/21/08 9:55 AM) Reply
Fabulous! The colour is just you and your bangle and necklace are the perfect accessories.
KrystalL said... (10/21/08 8:35 AM) Reply
The dress looks lovely on you!
cindyann said... (10/21/08 8:25 AM) Reply
Great knit dress!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (10/21/08 8:19 AM) Reply
I love your dress which is good because I have already ordered this pattern. It's good to know that there are lots of extra fitting instructions too. I usually change my construction order the same as you for those reason, it was helpful to include that info in your review.
Lori Sews said... (10/21/08 8:09 AM) Reply
This is a beautiful dress with a great fit! You look great!
nellc said... (10/21/08 8:07 AM) Reply
Very nice dress in a lovely colour. I have this pattern so it is great to see it made up so nicely.
Ronda Rae said... (10/21/08 8:00 AM) Reply
Wow! Great fit, great color, great dress! I think McCalls are going to be on sale this coming weekend at Joanns. I'll bet this pattern will be sold out because of your review.
Lori V said... (10/21/08 7:11 AM) Reply
This is a wonderful dress, it looks fantastic on you.
Karla Kizer said... (10/21/08 7:05 AM) Reply
And I was so proud of myself for resisting buying this pattern....Big Mistake. Your dress is, indeed, perfect.
Ann Smith said... (10/21/08 2:33 AM) Reply
Very flattering and feminine. As usual you picked a beautiful color for your own coloring.
Twinset said... (10/21/08 2:25 AM) Reply
Wow, this is such a nice dress! Great fit too.
senaSews said... (10/21/08 1:48 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Love the color on you!
CynthiaSue said... (10/21/08 1:23 AM) Reply
the color and fit are stunning!!
Caitycat said... (10/21/08 1:22 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review of this - it's just moved up in my "to be sewn" pile because it looks so great on you!
michellep74 said... (10/21/08 0:21 AM) Reply
I just picked up this pattern at the last big McCall's sale. Great to see how nicely it makes up!
Dmd4106 said... (10/21/08 0:07 AM) Reply
Very pretty and flattering!
Kaitlinnegan said... (10/21/08 0:02 AM) Reply
Lovely dress, and nice to know about all the "help" that comes along with the pattern. I could definitely use that :) Thanks for your review!
Aixoise said... (10/20/08 11:06 PM) Reply
Nice looking dress with an excellent fit. I'll put this pattern on my list. Thanks for the review.

Understanding Interfacings