Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8497 (Marci Tilton Gathered V Neck)

Reviewed by:Luckylibbet

About Luckylibbetstar
Member since: 7/28/03
Posted on:11/5/08 7:11 PM
Last Updated:11/5/08 7:21 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 20 people
moushka said... (11/7/08 7:56 PM) Reply
I love the style and can't wait to try the pattern. You did a great save on the collar, I'lll make sure not to use too heavy a fabric. Thanks for a great review of this interesting top.
LindsayT said... (11/7/08 2:54 PM) Reply
I need a cozy winter top like this one. Nice!
Barbara V said... (11/6/08 10:59 PM) Reply
I like your cozy winter top...wish I had some of that fabric. Sorry the collar became such a hassle, but you pulled it off well with much determination.
mylittleelephant said... (11/6/08 7:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for a very interesting review especially about collars and sleeve cap, great top!!!
Luckylibbet said... (11/6/08 11:41 AM) Reply
Chacha45 - I sent you a PM
EleanorSews said... (11/6/08 11:21 AM) Reply
Great informative review and comfy looking top. You surely did come thru with patience and perserverance ~ result: great top! COngrats.
carolynw said... (11/6/08 9:52 AM) Reply
I do like your top and thanks for the great review - I have the pattern but haven't used it yet so your pointers will be really helpful. GREAT SAVE OF LOVELY FABRIC
chacha45 said... (11/6/08 9:13 AM) Reply
I would like to know how you figured out your sleeve cap should be so much taller. Very interesting and complete review, as yours always are. Thanks for taking the time to tell us all!
Karine said... (11/6/08 8:58 AM) Reply
I admire your perseverence in making this pattern work for you. It really is a great style and looks very cozy. Thanks for the pics of your pattern alterations - they make it very clear what you're describing.
Nancy Rhodes said... (11/6/08 8:05 AM) Reply
I love the neckline... a distinctive detail that puts this top above the ordinary. I do admire your drive to keep this from being a permanent UFO. Hats of to you!
Annette1 said... (11/5/08 11:59 PM) Reply
EXCELLENT review! What you did with those collar darts was pure genius. I like it even better than the collar as originally drafted. I LOVE the front gathered neckline AND the gusseted sleeves. The strange thing is, I never even NOTICED this view until I read your review! :o) NICE SAVE!
Luckylibbet said... (11/5/08 11:54 PM) Reply
Hi Belinda - I did use the elastic, at the CB and the shoulder area - but the knit I was using was QUITE beefy and it did not draw up anywhere near the level that Nancy's did. See the pic I labeled 'Wrong Side of Collar - 3rd version' - you can see how much the elastic gathered up on a beefy knit. I used 1/4 in elastic rather than clear elastic, as I knew my knit would overpower clear elastic, and my cotton knit almost overpowered even that. Something to take into account when using elastic to gather. With 20/20 hindsight, I should have used a double row of basting stitches to draw the fabric up. I wish the pattern had included a guide for how much the collar SHOULD have gathered up. That would help when dealing with differing weights of knits.
Sew4Fun said... (11/5/08 11:20 PM) Reply
Nice top. Glad you were able to save it. Just a general observation re the collar. Isn't the collar suppose to be gathered up at the shoulder seam? The stitching line on the collar piece is where you sew elastic to gather it up. This is how RTW tops are sewn and Nancy's top also has the gathering at the shoulder. This would help the back collar sit better as it wouldn't be as wide.
Heatherrique said... (11/5/08 10:35 PM) Reply
Cool looking neckline! Looks super on you!
Athene said... (11/5/08 10:22 PM) Reply
Such a cozy looking top. Thank you for all the tips and great pictures.
Leora said... (11/5/08 8:45 PM) Reply
This top is so warm and snuggly looking! Interesting pattern, thanks for pointing it out.
Luckylibbet said... (11/5/08 8:17 PM) Reply
Hi Sewliz - yes, the petite armhole affects the length of the collar, and I did remember that one - it was the one affecting the length of the BACK neckline that I forgot.
sewtime said... (11/5/08 8:08 PM) Reply
Love your top!
Sewliz said... (11/5/08 7:46 PM) Reply
Yummy top! I like beefy cotton interlock for cooler days. You're doing all my alterations. Wanna come over and fix my patterns too? I see you did a petite armhole adjustment. That would affect the length of the collar?
CarolynGM said... (11/5/08 7:17 PM) Reply
Great tips on making the collar work better -- those darts were inspired. I've made the other two views, but not this one. I will be sure to re-read your review when I make it.

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Pareau Style Wrap Dress