Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8513

Last Updated:10/9/03 8:08 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
See other patterns in this category: Easy to Sew    Pants
tigergirl said... (6/1/12 1:38 AM) Reply
Great review - I can see why you got the 'funniest reviewer' (ok, maybe that wasn't it exactly but you know what I mean) award
Latricia said... (10/22/03 11:06 AM) Reply
very helpful review and i like your take on this pattern. sounds like what i'm looking for - my favorite khakis are from the gap and i think you recreated them. i am definately going to get this pattern and try your ideas - as i have been unable to find a ready pattern with the design you achieved! way to go and thanks!
Karla Kizer said... (10/11/03 6:52 PM) Reply
Ooooops.....DD is home for the weekend, so I remeasured important parts of her body (how she loves that...). I am now changing my recommendation to "If you are between sizes, go up to the larger one on close-fitting Burda patterns." Apparently, I have been under the illusion that her size has not changed in 3+ years of late-night partying, study-time snacking and no soccer playing. (I'm darned lucky she could get into those pants at all!)
CarolynGM said... (10/10/03 7:35 PM) Reply
Karla -- please write some more reviews! I laughed my head off reading this one. And it was informative too! I've only made one pair of Burda pants, and they were so tight, I wore them once and then gave them to the Salvation Army. You inspire me to try again.
Diane E said... (10/10/03 11:00 AM) Reply
LOL, Karla, now I know, all along I was making pantyhose! Hey, those pants look great and I agree, if your DD is happy and wears those pants over and over, that's more than enough recompense for hours in the sewing room. Great job and of course, a terrific review. Just the crackup (oops, was that a pun ?) I needed this a.m.
Karla Kizer said... (10/9/03 7:48 PM) Reply
"I just had a thought, did the pattern suggest a stretch fabric? I am saying this because I don't have to go up a size in Burda." Unfortunately, no. The pattern suggests cotton and denim. I think the go-up-a-size rule of thumb might have to do with the European idea of close-fitting. Any closer and they would be pantyhose.... I haven't found the same problem in more classic, traditional styles, but I always have to lengthen the back. Those continental ladies must like their pants a lot more "up close and personal" than I do.
Deepika said... (10/9/03 7:26 PM) Reply
Skymom too funny :) Yeah go to lunch instead. Karla I just had a thought, did the pattern suggest a stretch fabric? I am saying this because I don't have to go up a size in Burda.
Marita Kinnula said... (10/9/03 2:12 PM) Reply
Karla, you always make me laugh my head off, very nice fit, congrats!!
Skymom said... (10/9/03 2:03 PM) Reply
Great review, great pants! Thanks for the tip about going up a size in Burda pants patterns. I was blaming it on not getting to the gym often enough, but if everyone else is going up a size, too, then I think I'll skip the gym and go to lunch instead.
AnneM said... (10/9/03 1:26 PM) Reply
Wow, lots of work for these pants! Glad she likes them. You would have to go up yet another size for anyone over 25 to wear those! Thanks for another great review.
Celeste said... (10/9/03 12:29 PM) Reply
Funny stuff!! Look really nice!!!
cindyann said... (10/9/03 11:49 AM) Reply
Very amusing review! The pants look great, just like the ones I see all the young people wearing. Glad DD likes them.
Elona said... (10/9/03 10:02 AM) Reply
<> Ahhh, spoken like a mom: The juxtaposition of the real and the ideal! Good-looking kid pants, though. You put a lot into them.
Lisa Laree said... (10/9/03 9:02 AM) Reply
Great review, Karla! Good 're-design', too! I think I made 3 pairs of Burda pants before I caught on to the 'cut a size too big' rule... I have a couple of pairs that I'm going to go back and try again, in a bigger size...
Deepika said... (10/9/03 8:47 AM) Reply
Karla once again what a fun review! The pants look really great and much better than RTW. This is a good pattern but if I had to modify so much as you had to, I think I'll pass. For me neue mode works. Congrats on your new camera!

Understanding Interfacings