Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5186 (Semi-fitted top)

Reviewed by:solosmocker

About solosmockerstarstarstar
NY USA
Member since: 1/23/06
Posted on:1/14/09 5:25 PM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

EleanorSews said... (1/15/09 3:08 PM) Reply
What a beautiful top. And such a shame it was misery and then some to work on. Thanks for the warning...
amy in mpls said... (1/15/09 12:53 PM) Reply
Wow, i love it, very lovely!
nicegirl said... (1/15/09 11:45 AM) Reply
I was going to thank you for reminding me about this great pattern but now I wonder! LOL Your top is dynamite; thanks for the heads up about the drafting issues.
Kaitlinnegan said... (1/15/09 11:13 AM) Reply
Wow, this looks fabulous! Too bad it wasn't really "very easy," but the end result is sure worth your trouble! Thanks for the warning! :)
ITAdmin said... (1/15/09 7:33 AM) Reply
Your top looks great, but I'm glad I read the review. I like the style of this and was thinking of buying it at the Butterick sale this weekend. Thanks for pointing out the problems; my liking doesn't go that far.
Sherril Miller said... (1/14/09 9:47 PM) Reply
Very stylish. I love the color too.
sewtime said... (1/14/09 8:54 PM) Reply
Love your top!!! Great color and style!!
mars418 said... (1/14/09 8:44 PM) Reply
Thanks sooo much for the review. I made this earlier this spring as a very new back to sewing beginner (before I knew about Big 4 sizing and PR) and it was a disaster. I ended up about 3 sizes too large and couldn't save it. It's now living in a land fill somewhere! Your review helped me understand that maybe it just wasn't me!
kathleencramer said... (1/14/09 8:34 PM) Reply
Sorry the pattern was such a troublsome one! but your finished product really is striking. Nice job.
Lori V said... (1/14/09 8:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful, chic blouse.
solosmocker said... (1/14/09 7:46 PM) Reply
I did do the re inforcing and clipping suggested. That is the way I finally pullde it into shape, but that was forcing the issue. Thanks for the compliments both of you.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (1/14/09 6:57 PM) Reply
It looks great, I love this pattern. I don't recall having any trouble when I made it so I'll have to go back and look at the instructions again. (maybe sewing with BWOF has made me more forgiving of Butterick instructions!). I do recall you have to reinforce and clip right into a marking on the neckline to get the seam to fit. Anyway well done for persevering it looks great.
Christas said... (1/14/09 5:37 PM) Reply
Very cute top! Love the color!

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)