Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3635 (18th Century Undergarments)

Reviewed by:MCBurbage

About MCBurbagestar
TX United States
Member since: 12/26/08
Posted on:2/3/09 7:39 PM
Last Updated:2/4/09 5:38 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

The Smuggler's Daughter

Online Fabric Store

moushka said... (10/26/11 10:36 AM) Reply
These look fantastic. You do lovely work.
MCBurbage said... (9/16/09 4:57 PM) Reply
As far as I can tell, the stays are mostly supported by your hips so the straps are probably not really necessary. I don't know how historically accurate that would be. The pictures I've seen show straps, but I haven't really researched it. As for the hoops, I didn't make the hoops from this pattern, which is basically a hoopskirt with ties that force it into that elliptical shape. I made the Simplicity 4092 pocket hoops, which stand out 8" on either side. The hoops included in this pattern are certainly larger than the pocket hoops, but I don't know the final dimensions.
Ally Cat Aria said... (9/8/09 11:56 PM) Reply
Hi! I've been thinking about making the hoops for a theatrical costume, but I'm worried the pockets won't be wide enough for my costume. How far do the hoops stick out on either side? I'd like to make pockets with a 15" length on each side. Thank you! And your review was definitely helpful for the stays! Do you think they could be made strapless with little difficulty and still have propper support?
lizzienew said... (7/2/09 9:48 PM) Reply
Thank you for sharing. I love seeing how other handle making stays. I think the front lacing may actually be accurate, at least for the end of the 1700s. I've been aiming for 1790 and I am seeing lacing on the front in old drawing that lampoon clothing styles. The reproduction pattern I followed has them there.
Slyvchan said... (2/9/09 9:19 PM) Reply
Lovely! Definitely going to make the stays for my Simplicity 4092 dress! Would you say that it's possible to alter the pattern so that the straps aren't on the stays?
MCBurbage said... (2/5/09 5:49 PM) Reply
All the top-stitching is done before the pieces are assembled. Since I did it all on the machine, it was fairly quick - on the order of an hour or two.
Michelle L said... (2/5/09 11:06 AM) Reply
what an amazing ammount of work. I can't even imagine doing all that topstitching!

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Take-Along Bags Paper Pattern