Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5429

About valerie sewsstarstarstar
Member since: 10/1/03
Posted on:2/11/09 5:55 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts

Sweater knit fabrics

Hilary said... (12/12/10 10:27 AM) Reply
Your skirt looks great! Perfect fit and very flattering.
Hikerbeth said... (3/19/10 5:12 PM) Reply
Nice clear detail of topstiching and belt loops. Very useful, thanks.
Lou05 said... (6/13/09 6:33 PM) Reply
I love this skirt on you. It looks terrific and your finishing touches (i.e. pockets, etc.) are great. I can't wait to start one tonight - all because yours looks so good.
Lou05 said... (5/18/09 6:25 PM) Reply
This is great. I love the look without the godets and your's fits beautifully. It's very flattering.
Cody7 said... (2/14/09 0:17 AM) Reply
Val I love your skirt it is just what I have been searching for. I am off to buy the pattern this weekend.
persevering said... (2/13/09 4:25 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for answering and sharing your ideas. :)
valerie sews said... (2/12/09 1:51 PM) Reply
Clare Emily I used two spools of regular Gutterman thread together through a universal needle and regular thread in the bobbin. The bobbin was my all purpose colour gutterman Col 1. (NAYY) The ones on top were a goldy brown and a greyish green. You wouldn't think it'd work but it did. I just played around with what I had in the notions stash.
ClaireEmily said... (2/12/09 4:03 AM) Reply
This is so funny. Today I cut out view B without the godets. Tonight I see your review! Great skirt - it fits you really well. What kind of thread did you use for the topstitching?
Christas said... (2/11/09 5:33 PM) Reply
This fits you wonderfully! I have made this pattern twice. Your skirt fits much better than mine did. Your topstitching looks fantastic!
Heatherrique said... (2/11/09 5:10 PM) Reply
Super fab looking skirt, Val!
sewtime said... (2/11/09 2:48 PM) Reply
Cute skirt!!
lizziwhizz said... (2/11/09 2:09 PM) Reply
Seriously. I have the same skirt cut out in a slightly darker denim, and did the same as you, leaving off the godets. I may even take the flair in so I have a longer straight skirt (also not a fan of the mini!) Great idea to add pockets; I think I may do this. Thanks for the review and the ideas!
valerie sews said... (2/11/09 1:56 PM) Reply
Thank you for the nice comments everyone. Perservering I used the skirt pieces as is, straight out of the packet, cut for the length line for View B. I just didn't put in the godets. But because I'm 5" the length fell just below the knee rather than mid knee.
morzel said... (2/11/09 1:50 PM) Reply
Nice looking skirt! Great shape.
Pinkytoo said... (2/11/09 12:01 PM) Reply
LOVE it! This is going on my things-to-do list today!
christea said... (2/11/09 11:40 AM) Reply
great job-totally cute skirt!
persevering said... (2/11/09 11:37 AM) Reply
What a lovely skirt - and great fit - it suits you well! Can you please clarify about eliminating the godets? You just didn't use them and cut the other pieces and sewed them (ignoring the godet instructions)? Thanks for your review.
Amanda S. said... (2/11/09 9:44 AM) Reply
Very cute skirt!
Gecko said... (2/11/09 9:15 AM) Reply
Great job! This skirt looks wonderful on you!
Annette Wright said... (2/11/09 7:31 AM) Reply
Perfect timing for this review. I have lots of long denim pieces left over from making pants and have been wondering how I can use them. I'll buy this pattern and give it a try. It looks cute on you too.
TalyQ said... (2/11/09 6:47 AM) Reply
I really like that skirt! I do not wear pants, but practically live in denim skirts at home. You have done a great job with the top-stitching.
BillieJean said... (2/11/09 6:22 AM) Reply
Really nice skirt and a beautiful fit for you.

More Knits