Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2215 (Swim skirt)

Reviewed by:Julia Graham

About Julia Grahamstar
Member since: 4/12/02
Posted on:11/2/03 10:18 AM
Last Updated:6/12/04 9:16 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Activewear

Other Projects by Julia Graham using this Pattern

Ariadne said... (5/14/09 3:24 PM) Reply
Thank you! what a great review! It's a flattering swimsuit. I would have never thought of using the skirt/shorts. I will make it this summer, I hope. Right now I'm in a pair of lycra shorts and a long sleeve cotton shirt. I look ridiculous. I'd rather look cute like you.
Deb from Down Under said... (9/8/07 6:05 AM) Reply
Thankyou so much for your review, you've truly made me decide YES for this pattern, your pic's are awesome, and they do make you look younger, the pic's show the outfit so well. I have trouble finding bathing suits to fit me as Im big busted, tiny waist and quite large at the hips and thighs. And here in the Outback of Oz, there arent too many shops and no clothing stores so home sewn is the way to go. I've just ordered this pattern as the summer is nearing and it'll be another hot drought year so the skirt pattern will hide my backside and serve me well when swimming at the dam or lake. I hope I can look younger than my 21+ yrs as well :o)
fuzzygalore said... (2/7/06 12:20 PM) Reply
Really great suit! Love the way you tied it together. Sandra Betzina says she never buys enough fabric, because her best ideas come from working around that :-)..

If you need more butt room, it usually works best to extend the crotch seam at the back into the inseam. It looks to me from your pictures as if you had too much length at the center back seam. Some butts are longer, but most just stick out :-).

rhoda bicycle said... (12/25/05 10:47 PM) Reply
Here's the secret to feeling comfortable in a swimsuit - go swimming more often. I put on a suit somewhere between 150 and 200 mornings a year, and I don't even think about what my very pear shaped body looks like in lycra any more.
AnneM said... (6/12/04 8:41 PM) Reply
Well, that could have come out of any fancy shop, with the custom applique. I love seeing these creative reviews!
SandraB said... (6/12/04 5:21 PM) Reply
Very nice Julia. It is very flattering on you.
Teri said... (6/12/04 5:13 PM) Reply
What a great idea, and it looks wonderful on you!
Skymom said... (6/12/04 2:14 PM) Reply
My SIL who lives in Honolulu was wearing a bathing suit that looked almost exactly like your newest version, but she confessed that it cost her $98 at Sears. How great to have a custom-fit one for such a savings.
KMangum said... (6/12/04 1:02 PM) Reply
Oh, how cute is that!
Leslie in Austin said... (6/12/04 11:58 AM) Reply
This looks *great* Julia!! Ya wanna know something freaky? Look at what I laid out on my cutting table last night: -- the fixin's for a brown Jalie swim skirt. But mine certainly won't be nearly as cute as yours with the great applique!
Neefer said... (6/12/04 11:30 AM) Reply
That's a really good idea, cutting the motif out of the bikini bottom. I'll have to remember that. You look great in your swim skirt.
PVA said... (6/12/04 9:52 AM) Reply
Oh Julia, thank you, so much, for this review! You look absolutely darling in it, and the way you made the skirt work with the top is very creative! The first one is great too! It's a "must have" for me, since I have the same body type and plus over 50years on you (eek)! I've been wanting to sign up for water aerobics, and the mental vision of me in a bathing suit makes me feel nauseous! This pattern goes on my wish list right now.
drsue said... (6/12/04 9:47 AM) Reply
Wonderful, wonderful!!! thank you for bringing this pattern to my attention. I have a very similar body type and prefer this type of swim wear for the reasons you do.
Jennifer shaw said... (11/15/03 9:28 PM) Reply
Julia, thank you!! This is so terrific because I have the same body type as you. (-big thighs and teeny waist) I have a hard time visualizing what would look right for swimwear. It looks so terrific on you!
JDpenelope said... (11/2/03 6:19 PM) Reply
I have to add my two cents worth--your review confused me for awhile (while also amusing me!), because I thought that must be your little girl in the pic. I don't think you have anything to worry about!
Pam Z said... (11/2/03 4:01 PM) Reply
Have to admit, I thought you were a cute teenager too! I really like this on's very flattering & you should definitely make more :) Clever use of patterns. Thanks for sharing your project. I think you are right on regarding your wrinkle correction at CB.
Debbie Spriggs said... (11/2/03 12:26 PM) Reply
How cute! Both modest and youthful at the same time. Very clever combination of patterns. I will keep this one in mind for me or my girls. Thanks for calling this pattern to my attention! I have yet to sew with a Jalie pattern but have#2106, a tennis dress in my stash for DD. This pattern line gets a lot of rave reviews.
Kathy in NM said... (11/2/03 12:04 PM) Reply
Julia- Great swimsuit! I really like the look of the skirt. I've often thought of this style for me - same problems, small on top, big thighs - but it always seemed a bit matronly. Well, with the cut of this skirt that is definately not so!!! I thought you were a teenager when I looked at the picture! Thanks for the reveiw - I never would have even thought of this pattern. Hope the experts answer your questions about the fit for the center back. I think I'll have the same problem - bit of a sway back it seems.
Mollykat said... (11/2/03 11:56 AM) Reply
Yaaay! I just bought this pattern last nite. I hadn't considered making the skirt until I read your review. So glad you posted this! Like you, I've been wearing shorts to go with bathing suit tops. This skirt is an attractive option.
GorgeousFabrics said... (11/2/03 11:53 AM) Reply
I love it Julia, it's so flattering. I'll have to try one next year! -Ann
mudcat said... (11/2/03 11:29 AM) Reply
Julia, I think it looks good on you too. I applaud your bravery in posting the picture!
Donna Isler said... (11/2/03 10:44 AM) Reply
Your swimskirt turned out great - I looked at the photo first, before reading, and thought what a cute girl in a cute outit! Think I'll go for a swimskirt next year, based on your modesty comment and how trendy your outfit looks.