In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Revisions> 112 (Taos Skirt)

Reviewed by:Rebecca D

About Rebecca Dstar
Member since: 1/18/03
Posted on:11/8/03 9:02 AM
Last Updated:11/8/03 9:04 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
vesper said... (8/16/10 8:58 AM) Reply
I can see that the hard work has paid off handsomely. You do look like a summer vision. Love it
knitknitknit said... (2/22/06 10:41 AM) Reply
I think it is gorgeous and it looks really nice on you. I have some of the same fitting issues you mention and am just getting back into sewing after taking several years off... your skirt success encourages me to go on. Sometimes we forget how comfortable, flattering, and easy a skirt can be! This looks like a fun pattern. I've had my eye on it for awhile! I think you just pushed me over the edge. Thanks!
melgosews said... (3/27/05 6:44 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for this review, it saved me $
SJB said... (11/9/03 7:52 PM) Reply
Thank you for your review. I have really, really wanted to make this skirt and will now do so, taking into account your reservations, tips, and advice. SJB
Janet D said... (11/9/03 10:31 AM) Reply
Ditto all the other comments including the cute dog! The skirt is very flattering on you. I like the casual look of a skirt with a pretty t shirt. Anne, Joann's does have some nice fabric lately much to my hubbys dismay!
Rebecca D said... (11/9/03 7:58 AM) Reply
She is the cutest dog ever and I don't think I've posted any picture here without her in it. Always by my side, this one. Thanks for all the lovely compliments.
JDpenelope said... (11/8/03 10:01 PM) Reply
Fabric is very appealing.--you made it work! AnneM -- good eye in catching the "little rascals" dog. It didn't show up until I paged down on screen--went back to look for it!
Mel.J said... (11/8/03 8:37 PM) Reply
Congratulations on redeeming this, it was definitely worth the effort. The fabric is fantastic. I like the drape, & I'd be interested to hear how your modifications work.
Ruth C said... (11/8/03 7:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this skirt. I never liked the skirt shown in the pattern drawing, but your photo shows it as a very cute skirt--something I might like to make.
jlg said... (11/8/03 12:41 PM) Reply
Good job on the skirt, Rebecca. It looks good on you. Some day I'm going to give the Revisions patterns a try.
AnneM said... (11/8/03 11:08 AM) Reply
Jo-Anns has some really nice fabric lately, and this certainly looks like some of that. Great job finishing it into a nice skirt. P.S. cute dog
Sherril Miller said... (11/8/03 9:43 AM) Reply
Your skirt looks great. I am always so put off of patterns that have drawings. I just can't tell what they will look like on me. I love your fabric choice.
mudcat said... (11/8/03 9:35 AM) Reply
Rebecca, glad to see you had success. The skirt looks great. This pattern line (and Lois Ericson's as well) can be so frustrating because they have great design ideas but their instructions/sizing are not the best. The sizing can be troublesome for women who wear smaller sizes. The pattern suggests drapey fabrics with weight so you are probably on the right track with that thought.

by: yummymummy...