Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 03-2008-104 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:Donna Likes Golf

About Donna Likes Golfstar
MI United States
Member since: 11/29/05
Posted on:3/22/09 10:57 AM
Last Updated:3/23/09 8:37 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
Rebecca D said... (4/4/09 3:11 PM) Reply
I happened to be sitting at the same table with Donna when she started this jacket at our retreat. I can attest to the lovely result because I've seen it in person.
Catbird said... (3/25/09 5:13 PM) Reply
Donna, if only I knew German I could send a properly mangled response, but since I don't, I'll just say you're welcome!
Heatherrique said... (3/25/09 12:20 PM) Reply
Such a stylish and wonderfully crafted jacket!
Donna Likes Golf said... (3/24/09 9:10 PM) Reply
Catbird - Ach der lieber! (translation: Oh my!) And to think I had two years of German! I guess I will interpret BWOF's response as the "(incl. allowances)" statement means the seam allowances ARE included in the measurement they provide. and, thank your exceptionally help to me so much very! (translation: thanks!). :-)
Catbird said... (3/24/09 4:22 PM) Reply
Yay! I'm glad you were able to work out all the photo issues. Your jacket is superb! I agree with dvmcindy about the fabric matching the 'industrial, modern lines of the jacket'. You're following in the proud tradition of PR members making versions that far exceed the originals in the magazine. You asked about the BWOF instructions that say 'incl. allowances' and I'll pass along an e-mail exchange I had with Burda about that. Maybe it will help. Here is the gist of my question to them: "I have a question about pattern pieces that are given as just dimensions, such as belts and square pockets, etc. Is seam allowance included in the dimensions given? And if so, how much is included? On some of the pieces, finished width is provided, so we can figure it out from there, but on some it's not provided, so I find it a bit confusing. Can you clarify it for me?" And here is their answer (verbatim, in that old familiar Burdaspeak we love so well): "If it is not explicitly mentioned, these kind of pattern pieces never have seam allowances. If exceptionally we have some pattern pieces with included seam allowances, it is always stated explicitly in the instructions. Trusting to have been of service to you, kind regards, Christiane Nickolas"
nancy2001 said... (3/24/09 11:51 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket.
nglalala said... (3/24/09 11:42 AM) Reply
You're muslin really is superb! I would've never guessed it was a muslin!
mylittleelephant said... (3/24/09 9:06 AM) Reply
I LOVE your collar!!! SO SO interesting.
Michelle L said... (3/24/09 8:48 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! It turned out gorgeous!
Sic said... (3/24/09 8:06 AM) Reply
Lovely!
Sew4Fun said... (3/24/09 0:58 AM) Reply
Oh I love what you did with the collar! I didn't like the original BWOF jacket but now I do with your collar alteration. Great jacket!
Donna Likes Golf said... (3/23/09 9:20 PM) Reply
Fuzzygalore - Thanks for the advice. Do you know if, when BWOF writes "(incl. allowances)", do they mean the allowances need to be added or that the allowances have been added? Perhaps I am missing something in the translation!
Re Becca said... (3/23/09 8:57 PM) Reply
I like your collar better. I am sure that you will get a lot of good wear out of this "muslin"
CynthiaSue said... (3/23/09 0:09 AM) Reply
this is so awesome. the fabric is a perfect match to the style, fitting the more industrial, modern lines of the jacket. It looks so well sewn.
CatMukai said... (3/22/09 7:56 PM) Reply
the collar alteration is innovative, I like it!
Donna Likes Golf said... (3/22/09 5:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for the feedback! After five tries I cannot seem to change the photo. I go to edit my review to change the picture as suggested but, when I hit the "Publish to site" button, nothing happens. Help! What am I doing wrong? Nevermind...as noted in my review, I finally figured it out (it helps to read the instructions!).
tweedcurtain said... (3/22/09 3:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for sharing your modifications. It is nice when one uses a pattern as a starting point and makes it their own. Looks like a great jacket.
Amanda S. said... (3/22/09 2:47 PM) Reply
Ditto about the image, but it looks great from the closeups you've included. I especially like what you've done to the collar and the added buttons.
Catbird said... (3/22/09 12:56 PM) Reply
From afar, your jacket looks GREAT, but I'm having trouble with the main image also. I'll join the chorus of hopeful people asking you to re-post it because I'd love to get a better look. (And congratulations on your first review!)
fuzzygalore said... (3/22/09 12:13 PM) Reply
I've had some bad surprises because of forgetting that Burda often gives you dimensions for something assuming you'll cut it on fold. I'm thinking of a collar that was supposed to be 15cm, only they really meant 15cm on the fold, 30cm total. You may have had that with the sleeve tabs. Yes please, a picture!! The thumbnail looks great :-).
lmg said... (3/22/09 12:10 PM) Reply
Love it, especially the collar alteration. Neat jacket.
Elona said... (3/22/09 11:58 AM) Reply
The detail shots certain show a very handsome creation.
Sigrid. said... (3/22/09 11:36 AM) Reply
I love your detail pictures. You changed the collar very originally, and I like it very much. A good picture showing the complete jacket would be nice. Great jacket.
Linda G said... (3/22/09 11:28 AM) Reply
YOu jacket is beautiful. I like the collar idea, I too would like to see the main jacket image. I have looked at this pattern often, I like yours better with buttons all the way down the front.
Dei said... (3/22/09 11:22 AM) Reply
From what I can see, this looks beautiful! You may want to resize your main jacket image because the link says its 1 x 1 pixels so that it can be viewed. Thx!

All About Linings