Online Sewing Class: Beyond the BoatNeck

Pattern Reviews> Elizabeth Lee Sunrise Designs> 104 (Nursing Classic Nightgown)

Reviewed by:verymom

About verymomstar
USA
Member since: 8/10/05
Posted on:4/12/09 9:22 PM
Last Updated:4/12/09 9:23 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
MagnoliaHoney said... (12/12/10 0:36 AM) Reply
Thanks for the tip, I just made a ELD nursing slip, with tricot-my first thing I've sewn all on my own in 20 plus years! It was a bit of a nightmare at first, things seem to get better as I kept pressing on. I used stretch lace to hide any imperfections I made. And am over all happy with the outcome. But, thanks so much for the starch tip. The slip I made was peach in color-good for light colored dresses, but I was planning on making a charcoal colored slip with tricot as well for dark colored clothing, and I'll try the tip. I was about to give up though on my first one, and just make it with cotton! lol haha But, I worked through it and it wasn't so bad near the end. Thankfully it was only the slip and not the nightgown. I'm planning on making this nightgown next but in flannel. I was thinking after the tricot slip there was no way I would try to make this gown in tricot even though it was reccomended.
morzel said... (4/30/09 8:05 AM) Reply
Great nightgown, very clever position of the nursing openings/front pleat.
MelissaB in WA said... (4/14/09 6:19 PM) Reply
Another beautiful night gown!!!
AnneMarie60 said... (4/12/09 11:25 PM) Reply
verymom: Spraying the seaming areas makes great sense! I haven't used this tip, but I have heard that it works!
verymom said... (4/12/09 10:42 PM) Reply
Thank you AnneMarie60! I wonder if that tip would work if you just sprayed where the seams will be sewn instead of the whole fabric? The nightgown pieces are HUGE and I imagine spraying 3 times it would take the whole can ;o)
AnneMarie60 said... (4/12/09 10:25 PM) Reply
Lovely gown. I have saved this hint about working with Tricot from a seasoned sewist: "Working with nylon Tricot and similar fabrics can be an absolute nightmare no matter what machine is used. Here is a simple solution: Lay out the fabric on a flat surface that won’t be damaged by moisture. Use heavy-duty spray starch, such as Niagara Professional spray starch, and liberally spray both sides of fabric. Allow to dry. Repeat this process three times. After the last spray application dries, the fabric may be pressed with a low temperature iron, only if needed. Sew as soon as possible."
Darla in PA said... (4/12/09 10:04 PM) Reply
A very nice looking gown. Nursing gowns are very nice to have.
Dee Woods said... (4/12/09 9:40 PM) Reply
Very nice gown and a timely review for me. I've been looking for nursing garments. I thought I'd just have to alter regular patterns.

Pattern Work
Pattern Work

by: Jstarr4250

Islander Sewing Systems Details Express Shirt (Size 1X-4X)

Islander Sewing Systems Details Express Shirt (Size 1X-4X)

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern