Pattern Reviews> McCall's> M5752 (The Perfect Knit Dress)

Reviewed by:knitmachinequeen

About knitmachinequeenstarstarstarstar
MI USA
Member since: 9/3/07
Posted on:4/23/09 12:20 PM
Last Updated:4/23/09 12:27 PM

velosewer said... (4/6/10 6:01 AM) Reply
Thanks for the warning. I'm just tackling this pattern now. I sew like you do, all the front/back pieces are joined before you put the dress together. Fingers crossed:)
Marian said... (5/12/09 11:26 AM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this and bringing it to my attention. I like this style of dress on me (surplice, especially in a knit) and wasn't aware that Palmer-Pletsch had a pattern for it. I haven't seen a knit pattern from them before, and I generally like their work.

I guess that the unusual construction method is tied to the Palmer-Pletsch principle of fitting at every step along the way, and the fact that most of the fitting for a dress like this would be in the bodice and midriff front? I suppose it's a good idea, since all fabrics have a somewhat different amount of stretch and drape, but I confess that once I've done all the pattern fitting and adjusting, and I've cut it out, I really just want to sew. Now. And I find it hard to judge a pin-fit in a knit -- the fabric pulls back from the pins in such an uneven (and unflattering!) way.

Thanks for the warning about the midriff piece ending up so high. I need an FBA, which means I need to add length at the base of the bodice, and I have a long torso as well, which sometimes makes my dresses and blouses too short, especially between the hips and bust. Ready-to-wear is almost always short in front on me.

The pattern diagram seems to put a lot of gathered fabric into the midriff piece, which might be too much to have bunched around my already-lumpy waistline. Do you have an opinion or advice about that? Is it good disguise or extra thickness?
Secretsugar said... (4/25/09 9:13 AM) Reply
Love love love your fabric!
nicegirl said... (4/23/09 3:48 PM) Reply
I found the construction order on this rather silly as well, I should probably look at the instructions again and update my review! I love your fabric here.
Laurie Lou said... (4/23/09 2:29 PM) Reply
I love the fabric...good taste! I can understand the height issue and I have run into the layer of fabrics as you sew along you wonder if the machine will be able to handle it. Good review and things to look out for when sewing this particular pattern. Thanks!
nglalala said... (4/23/09 2:01 PM) Reply
Cute dress! Great job!
kathleencramer said... (4/23/09 1:05 PM) Reply
I'm finishing mine now! Your's looks great!

Kwik Sew 3524