Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 1029 (Superfantastic Shirt)

Reviewed by:Diane E

About Diane Estarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:5/7/09 6:33 PM
Last Updated:5/7/09 6:38 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Diane E said... (3/15/10 1:42 PM) Reply
Thanks for the recent comments. Kuby, I used Sandra's book to make adjustments to the collar -- trimmed the undercollar pieces so the upper pieces would roll to the inside. Since I did this all as an afterthought, I managed to confuse myself quite a bit -- I like the techniques used in Sandra's books very much and I apply them as often as possible; I find that thinking them through before I cut anything out helps me a lot. That way I can mark the fabric pieces clearly and not get them mixed up.
Kuby said... (3/6/10 6:08 PM) Reply
Good review. I own this pattern and I took it out of the envelope to review the directions and couldn't find them. I have power sewing and David Coffin's book, so I'll be sure to review before I attempt to put in the collar. Did you use her technique of sewing around the collar in 2 steps she described in the video?
mizdeedee said... (3/3/10 3:05 PM) Reply
I have just sewn this pattern & thanks to all the revews it is a success. The only issue is the dart placement. I went down 11/2" and made the dart shorter- about 2" I think this is correct for my bust location? The design seems to hold. I may get more advice because I really like the pattern & want to make again. thanks for all the tips
moushka said... (9/21/09 12:46 PM) Reply
Great review, Diane, as always. Thanks for the head's up on the ease. For once I can go down a size, lol!
katie lynne said... (6/8/09 11:06 PM) Reply
Very Helpful Review--Thanks! This may be larger than you're used to, but I think it looks just great on you. Lovely fabric, its so perfect for you...
rmardel said... (5/9/09 8:48 AM) Reply
Great shirt Diane and a wonderful review. 7" of ease, wow, but even with all that ease (or is it especially with all that ease) I can see how a dart would keep it from being a shapeless mess.
FreyaStark said... (5/8/09 6:10 AM) Reply
A nice shirt. I'm looking forward to making this shirt soon myself.
Liana said... (5/8/09 1:14 AM) Reply
The shirt is great, and I had the best time reading your review! Very, very nice on both counts.
Patti B said... (5/7/09 10:29 PM) Reply
Diane, I would loved to have been a fly on the wall during this process! End result is great and your review is very helpful.
Em's Summer said... (5/7/09 10:24 PM) Reply
Great top!
Diane E said... (5/7/09 9:27 PM) Reply
Thanks for your kind words. LOL Elona, maybe I have a ferret in my garret -- that would explain many things. Kay, I think you make an excellent point about those bust darts.
Kay Y said... (5/7/09 9:08 PM) Reply
Great review and great pink shirt Diane! With 7" of ease I almost wonder if it really needs bust darts at all?
Elona said... (5/7/09 9:00 PM) Reply
The Galah color combo is a wonderful one, and your pink shirt is very pretty, very art-studio-in-the-garret (I've had a little wine and actually typed ferret, but corrected that). About the yellow marking paper, I had the same trouble when putting together my son's white linen wedding shirt--aaaaaack! I think the manufacturers should take note of this problem.
Karla Kizer said... (5/7/09 7:23 PM) Reply
Love both the review and the finished product. It's a well-known fact that sheep wear pink very well. LOL.
Sew4Fun said... (5/7/09 7:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for the helpful review. 7" of bust ease, oh my! I'm glad I read your review before opening my pattern.
michellep74 said... (5/7/09 7:01 PM) Reply
Cute blouse! I have this pattern and am hoping to make it up soon.

No Pattern Used Flowers