Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5186 (Semi-fitted top)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:7/1/09 6:33 PM
Last Updated:7/1/09 6:36 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 10 people

Vesta Patterns

Bonnie123 said... (2/19/10 11:41 AM) Reply
This top is you! You did a great job. I am THINKING about taking this one on.
DorothyK said... (7/2/09 11:34 AM) Reply
Looks great on you, and will be comfortable to wear in your climate. Thanks for the warnings about the instructions.
Grammy Gin said... (7/2/09 8:33 AM) Reply
Such a shame you had so many problems with this blouse. It looks lovely on you. I love the collar. You look great.
Jane S said... (7/2/09 7:44 AM) Reply
I have this sitting in my to do pile so thanks for your honest warnings. I think you look great in it, despite all your struggles.
donna mel said... (7/2/09 6:47 AM) Reply
good to know, thanks! i teach sewing and always advise new students to look for the 'fast and easy' label. it would be very frustrating, to say the least, if a beginner were to try and tackle a pattern like this. instead of gaining new seamstresses, butterick is scaring them off! your's came out lovely, tho!!
Ann Smith said... (7/1/09 11:25 PM) Reply
solosmocker, in Terri's review ( she addresses these same problems. Some other reviewers haven't mentioned these issues and even say the pattern is easy. I was sure confused!
solosmocker said... (7/1/09 11:05 PM) Reply
Ann, I struggled with that neckline too! I somehow eventually fudged it into position. I doubt I could pull it off twice. As far as the sleeves. The directions made no sense to me either, so I just did it "my way" and they worked out fine. I have been hoping someone would come along and do this blouse and explain what I maybe did wrong but at this point is sure looks like the pattern drafting is the issue. This is too bad because the design is fabulous and flattering to many figure types.
Barbara V said... (7/1/09 10:29 PM) Reply
Being witness to "fast and easy" turning into "time consuming, difficult and annoying" I have to say in spite of my worries for the success of your blouse, I was delighted to look up and see your gorgeous outcome. That was a great moment with cheers from the ladies around the room! It is indeed very striking. I want one too, but without the struggle.
Raye Ann said... (7/1/09 10:29 PM) Reply
it looks great on you, and thanks for the review. i won't be tackling this one!!lol
Elona said... (7/1/09 9:39 PM) Reply
Terrific cautionary advice, Ann! If a pattern irritates you with your skill level, it's a dog! But the final result looks great on you.
Vivienne said... (7/1/09 9:35 PM) Reply
Best pattern description - EVER!
Dee2 said... (7/1/09 8:49 PM) Reply
This style is perfect on you. Very pretty, definitely worth the effort.
cindyintampa said... (7/1/09 8:23 PM) Reply
Glad you tried this first. It turned out well in spite of everything.
khunter said... (7/1/09 7:13 PM) Reply
great top. If it wasn't easy for you , then I am certainly not going to try it. Ha HA. You look great in it though! I love your reviews
Terri Smith said... (7/1/09 7:06 PM) Reply
I agree, Ann, one is enough for me too. But I do like the style, there's just got to be a better way. This is a nice looking style on you.
All About Linings