Pattern Reviews> Pin-up Girls> 1230

Posted on:8/23/09 9:07 PM
Last Updated:8/24/09 1:44 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
Robin Denning said... (12/23/11 9:54 AM) Reply
Hi bless2bhome - I used a Pfaff. I like Pfaff because the IDT (like a built-in walking foot) helps sewing fiddly knits. I know people who sew BEAUTIFUL lingerie on other machines, so it is possible!! The Pfaff is just a personal preference for me.
bless2bhome said... (12/22/11 2:09 PM) Reply
I was wondering what sewing machine you used to make this.
Athene said... (2/5/10 11:22 PM) Reply
A lovely bra - its so pretty and versatile in the stripe print that it could easily cross over into loungewear.
SewRusty said... (8/29/09 9:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review! I'll have to see about this one after I finish my bra-making class. :-)
SheBear0320 said... (8/25/09 1:10 AM) Reply
Great job and informative review -- this is the bra pattern I'm working on and I think I've almost got it perfected. You are so right about the BraMakers Manual -- amazing resource!
whirrclunk said... (8/24/09 2:43 PM) Reply
Brilliant fabric! Thank you for the excellent review. Sounds really complicated...
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/24/09 1:52 PM) Reply
Thanks, Robin. This was a very helpful review. I need to go ahead with making my own lingerie. I like the fact that I can save a lot of money. And once I nail down the fit, I'll have more options for different fabrics and styles.
Robin Denning said... (8/24/09 1:04 PM) Reply
Fabric: I did a burn test. It burns briefly, then melts into an irregular hard black bead. I googled for a burn chart and my best guess is "modacrylic". The fabric came from Sigrid (in The Netherlands) who is on holiday this month). I think she buys a lot of her fabrics from Kantje-boord in Amsterdam.(http://www.kantje-boord.info/). I'll look for some more links and update my review.
PegL said... (8/24/09 9:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for the timely and good review! I just got this pattern and am eager to try it. Do you know where your gift fabric was purchased? Edited to add: Thanks for the fabric info! Your review has really inspired me!
JEF said... (8/24/09 9:22 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous. I'd been looking at the pattern, thank you so much for the review.
chacha45 said... (8/24/09 9:18 AM) Reply
Could you be more specific about that "spandex kind of fabric"? I've bought bra kits that had such flimsy fabrics that I din't even bother to try them. And I'm clueless about what to buy.
BlossomKyle said... (8/23/09 10:58 PM) Reply
Great job! Really very nicely done!! Looks store bought, not home sewn at all.
Robin Denning said... (8/23/09 10:11 PM) Reply
RhodaK, I would not wear this with a clingy knit top. It's not so much that the seams show, but sometimes you look like you are "smuggling peanuts". I got that line from my daughter. :) They DO sell foam cups at Bra-Makers Supply where I bought this pattern. That's always best for wearing under knits.
Rhoda K said... (8/23/09 9:34 PM) Reply
Very nice job and love the fabric. Do the cup seams show through your tops, especially t-shirts?
Raye Ann said... (8/23/09 9:22 PM) Reply
this is beautiful! great job and thanks for the great review. i am in awe of those who make thier own bras.... i am hoping to tackle it one of these days.

Kwik Sew 3683