Pattern Reviews> Burda> 7780 (Mens coat)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

Last Updated:10/1/09 5:50 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 23 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Jackets

katie lynne said... (1/16/10 10:54 PM) Reply
This is one great first coat..you are my ultimate inspiration! I've been in the doldrums about sewing, but reading your achievements makes me want to put my sewing area 'together' and get at it. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your Picasa album for this one! Please, never stop making them!
Vintage Joan said... (11/7/09 5:51 PM) Reply
Well, how cool is that. ;) Your review will be very helpful to me one of these days -- for some inexplicable reason I just found this pattern in a $1 bin and decided to go for it. Not sure my son will want one of these, but he may get one someday anyway. Thanks for your review -- great coat. Yes, good suggestion about wearing pants under it.
Peter in NYC said... (10/4/09 9:35 PM) Reply
Thanks so much everybody. If truth be told, I think I enjoy making those Picasa albums almost as much as I enjoy making the clothes! Yes, yes, we must all go shopping together for that great $2/yd fabric. Seriously, if anyone's visiting NYC and wants a shopping companion, just shoot me an message -- I'd totally be into it! (And I know where they sell the good pizza.)
Hilary said... (10/4/09 8:58 PM) Reply
First, your coat turned out fantastic!! I can't believe you've only been sewing FOUR months! And Second: I really LOVED reading this review-and seeing your pictures, every little step~thanks for a very entertaining, informative, and really *funny* review~I'm with Polish Poppy, I want to read all your reviews now! :o)
cindyann said... (10/3/09 10:20 AM) Reply
Bravo, Peter. Fantastic work on your first coat and a great review. Really enjoyed the comments on the pictures. Ha..........
lilyofthevalley said... (10/2/09 11:21 PM) Reply
Very handsome and city sleek, Peter. --Lily
sew obsessed said... (10/2/09 9:58 PM) Reply
Looking good................
TracyB said... (10/2/09 5:55 PM) Reply
Nice coat, awesome review, and the photo album was a real page turner! You enthusiasm inspires me.
Lynnelle said... (10/2/09 8:46 AM) Reply
Wonderful review and great coat! Well done.
eugenia123 said... (10/2/09 7:13 AM) Reply
Peter, your learning curve is so steep you've left the rest of us behind! Welt pockets so soon - wow! Your coat looks amazing and really suits you. Well done!
sew2little said... (10/2/09 0:21 AM) Reply
Is there room in this world for a stand up sewist? If so, you would be in the running--if you can get away from all those women who want to be photographed with you! Your pictures and commentary are great! And the jacket is too!
QuiltersFan said... (10/2/09 0:11 AM) Reply
Thoroughly enjoyed the review and photos of the process. Welt pockets, a lined coat? There is no stopping you! Great coat.
Sewing Joe said... (10/1/09 11:18 PM) Reply
Wow! I think you did an amazing job. I'm inspired.
AnneMarie60 said... (10/1/09 8:30 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket. Great job on the welts and the lining. Enjoyed your detailed photos and your amusing commentary.
Diane333 said... (10/1/09 8:04 PM) Reply
you're a wonderful sewing artist. Love the reviews
PolishPoppy said... (10/1/09 8:02 PM) Reply
I think I am going to read everyone of your reviews just for the "you crack me up" factor. Nice coat too.
jent said... (10/1/09 4:47 PM) Reply
Great jacket Peter! And really impressive given the short time you've been sewing. Your skills match your enthusiasm! And it was a pleasure to meet you in Novi too!
Rhoda K said... (10/1/09 4:21 PM) Reply
Wow - a great looking coat & very helpful review. Loved reading your coat making adventure.
RLL said... (10/1/09 3:30 PM) Reply
More new techniques mastered. Another great review and another job well done. I'm jealous!
CynthiaSue said... (10/1/09 12:16 PM) Reply
I feel bad that you didn't know to ignore ALL pattern companies instructions on welt pockets! anywho, you and your coat are awesome.
Irene Q said... (10/1/09 10:40 AM) Reply
That's a great coat - you may have to move yourself out of the Beginner category with this one! Loved the photo story, too. Here's another plug for Burda. I think they have a much better fit than the other men's patterns, especially for slim guys - but yes, their instructions are pretty bad unless you know what you're doing. :-)
okie2thdoc said... (10/1/09 9:39 AM) Reply
Great review. Burda have poor instructions as a rule but they make fantastic garments and the patterns are drafted well. You might want to pick up some books on different sewing techniques to get you through the bleak instructions. BTW, you're hilarious. I think the girls like you because the inside is so shiny;) Not to mention, the short pants make you wonder what you're going to do next!
Woolygal said... (10/1/09 8:38 AM) Reply
Peter, it's fun watching your progress. You're doing great. A very nice coat.
Deepika said... (10/1/09 8:24 AM) Reply
I got a chance to look at this jacket at the expo and I can honestly say that WOW! I couldn't believe that you only started sewing in June. But "jumping" right in is my philosophy too. You proved that one doesnt need expensive fabric or a sewing machine to make great clothing! Thanks for sharing.
thirteenstitches said... (10/1/09 8:19 AM) Reply
OK, so I'm thinking you should invite all of your PR fans to visit and we can all go shopping for fabric with you! I like $2.00 a yard too. Seriously again a very impressive job on your coat. Bravo!!!
birdmcfarland said... (10/1/09 7:47 AM) Reply
Can you handle more gushing? I love it! I still can't believe you are relatively new to sewing. This coat is just fabulous!
moushka said... (10/1/09 6:58 AM) Reply
Great work! Love your detailed photo albums.
Peter in NYC said... (10/1/09 6:06 AM) Reply
Ooooh, I like that, "Intuitive Sewist!" Thanks for all the support, everybody, it really encourages me to raise the bar. OK, OK, I won't completely write off Burda patterns and I do recognize that they're a lot snazzier than most of what the "Big 4" has to offer -- hospital scrubs, anyone? -- but I'm still partial to my vintage patterns, which are fun to reinterpret. I bought my fabric at H & M Fabrics (not related to the clothing store) 257 West 39th Street New York, NY 10018 PH: 212-221-6911 M-F: 9 am - 7 pm Sun: 11 am - 5 pm. They have quite a bit in the $2-a-yard range as well as tons of nice things that are pricier. (BTW, my plaid cotton shirt with the epaulets was also $2-a-yard, and I have 6 yards of dark denim for the same price). Give 'em a try!
Pam~Off The Cuff~ said... (10/1/09 5:23 AM) Reply
Great Job Peter ! You improvise well...you are what I call "an Intuitive Sewist". I totally enjoyed following your coat story...your reviews are a joy to read! Pam, The ShirtMaker
FreyaStark said... (10/1/09 4:02 AM) Reply
Don't give up on Burda patterns. Certainly the instructions have a faint translated-from-the-German feel to them but they are adequate if you read them slowly and carefully. (I'm referring to the envelope patterns; I haven't tried to BWOF ones.) Otherwise they are very good patterns. Making a jacket is challenging and you will find it easier with practice, and in the process become less dependent on the instructions. This jacket is pretty good for a first effort. Now try it again in a more upmarket fabric and with a fancier lining (a paisley silk twill, for instance), and you'll find it easier. Having mastered welt pockets especially is quite a milestone, and you'll feel emboldened to try more tailored garments in future.
jilly cooper said... (10/1/09 2:37 AM) Reply
Once again, loved your pics and descriptions. I loved that colour of fabric. You must be one hellava fast learner because I struggle to understand sewing terminology, never mind trying to work out what to do without clear instructions. Truly inspirational!!!!!!!!!!!
HLT said... (9/30/09 11:52 PM) Reply
Nice review and great pics! I'm so lucky to have seen this in person during your trip to Noveeeeee. LOL Tres Chic.
Anniinbc said... (9/30/09 11:17 PM) Reply
Great looking coat!!
carolynw said... (9/30/09 10:54 PM) Reply
Peter a great looking coat and gotta tell you even if you couldn't sew I would read your reviews - they are sooo good and interesting - great that you can also turn out a coat that loOks TERRIFIC!!
AnitaJ said... (9/30/09 10:19 PM) Reply
Great job! It's inspirational how you jump into your projects. Keep on plowin' on! :)
Stephanie C. said... (9/30/09 9:25 PM) Reply
The final product looks amazing and your photo commentary was very fun to read!!
pterion said... (9/30/09 8:51 PM) Reply
Now that's a review! Your coat looks terrific - I can't believe it's your first! Love the web album and it was fun to see you with all your ladies. I agree with Elona - if you throw in the towel on Burda patterns in favor of a 'Big 4' or Kwik Sew pattern, you will be trading cruddy instructions for a less elegant fit. What I find myself doing is using Burda but reading directions from a comparable Kwik Sew pattern. And BTW, where are you finding $2 a yard fabric in NYC?
Elona said... (9/30/09 8:29 PM) Reply
Very, very nice coat, Peter, and how brave of you to jump right into the construction of a garment like this! However, you are now obviously ready for grand things, and I would counsel you to choose--specifically--Burda patterns, because ain't no McCall's going to give you elegant lines like this: http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Patterns/Main_Collection/7842_Jacket/1270778-1128998-1003846-1533939.html or this: http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Patterns/Main_Collection/8275_Coat/1270778-1128998-1003846-1065232.html In Paris last winter, I saw so many men wearing such coats, and those guys looked sooooo yummy in their well-cut, well-tailored European coats.
nancy2001 said... (9/30/09 8:14 PM) Reply
duplicate
nancy2001 said... (9/30/09 8:14 PM) Reply
Wow, Peter. Your first coat looks wonderful -- and so do the welts. You sewing skills are definitely progressing by leaps and bounds.
dbsewer said... (9/30/09 7:46 PM) Reply
Peter, this is a terrific coat. I can see it in cashmere :-). You did a great job on the welt pockets - good for you, ignoring Burda. Stay away from the magazine version. Their instructions are even worse. Terrific job on your first big coat project. Onward to glory you go (to paraphrase Don Quixote).
DaisyEsq said... (9/30/09 7:32 PM) Reply
I love your can-do attitude. Great coat!
Leslie in NZ said... (9/30/09 7:28 PM) Reply
Your coat looks great and your pictures are very informative. Novi looked like a lot of fun!!

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest