Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5936 (Jacket with peplum)

Reviewed by:ghirsch

About ghirschstar
NY USA
Member since: 10/22/04
Posted on:10/5/09 4:35 PM
Last Updated:10/5/09 4:37 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
nicegirl said... (10/7/09 11:13 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! Love the silhouette and those short sleeves really are nice.
Erica B. said... (10/6/09 11:21 PM) Reply
Love it on you. I do agree that when I make this one over, I'll add length to the bodice too!
pammieh said... (10/6/09 4:21 PM) Reply
I love your selections - wonderful - even though you're not that pleased with the peplum. . .
marec said... (10/6/09 2:47 PM) Reply
ghirsch, thank you for the explanation! That makes sense and explains why I have had some problems with sleeves fitting after that alteration.
smoody said... (10/6/09 1:23 PM) Reply
great job!! love the lining you used- i enjoy your blog and love the time and craftsmanship you invest in your pieces! again beautiful job!!!
Amanda S. said... (10/5/09 11:26 PM) Reply
I'm sorry it didn't turn out as well as you would have liked. The style looks really nice on you, though. I just discovered your fabulous blog!
blessedtosew said... (10/5/09 9:48 PM) Reply
I love that jacket!!! It is soooo ladylike.
Lori V said... (10/5/09 9:42 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks nice.
ghirsch said... (10/5/09 9:10 PM) Reply
Aw, thanks, everyone! I actually wore it today and it's already grown on me quite a bit. In fact, I can't wait to make another so I get it *just* right. marec, here's the reasoning behind the sleeve alteration: when you narrow the shoulders of a garment, you change the shape of the armhole, and the sleeve won't fit in properly anymore. By adding the 3/4" back onto the sleeve cap, you're effectively just moving the shoulder seam up without affecting the fit of the sleeve into the armscye. Does that make sense?
marec said... (10/5/09 8:36 PM) Reply
I love this jacket, and like others have said, you *could* wear it inside out. A question from another narrow shouldered woman: if you took out 3/4" from the shoulder, why was it necessary to add it back onto the sleeve cap? What am I missing here? ???? Anyway, cute, cute jacket.
lizpalmer said... (10/5/09 7:40 PM) Reply
This just looks fabulous on you - and I think you should definitely give that beautiful lining an airing soon! I'll bet you get to like it more the more you wear it - I've had that with things I've not been delighted with at first. I also think the whole idea of a peplum is that it stands out a bit - that's what they do. Great job.
ClaireEmily said... (10/5/09 7:21 PM) Reply
I love your jacket! I don't mind the peplum sticking out a bit myself and think it gives it flair. And the neckline and short sleeves really show off your body art! I think the whole outfit is fantastic =)
geeklite said... (10/5/09 5:28 PM) Reply
I think the jacket looks great and more than likely you're the only person thinking the peplum sticks out too much. BTW after looking at your blog, I think you could wear it inside out! I'm loving your choice for the lining.
RachelEsq said... (10/5/09 4:42 PM) Reply
Saw this on your blog - I think it's really nice. It doesn't look ill-fitting. It does appear to be a lot shorter than the pattern photo, though. Great tip on making the shoulders narrower - thanks.

Kwik Sew 2100