Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 7724 (Shirt/ dress)

Reviewed by:carolynw

About carolynwstarstarstar
Member since: 3/19/05
Posted on:11/24/09 9:13 PM

See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops

JDpenelope said... (2/16/11 9:00 PM) Reply
Hi again Carolyn. Well, I decided not to sew this, thanks to your helpful review. It wasn't your garment -- I really like the way the stripes turned out and it is indeed an eye-catcher. It is because of needing to sew through 6 layers of slinky that has put me off, with or without a walking foot. Thanks for the warning!
Annette1 said... (11/25/09 11:51 AM) Reply
This is VERY PRETTY on slim-hipped you. :o) I actually like the stripes going the opposite way on the inset. To look at your top, you'd never guess you had to go through six layers of fabric there at the center. If I'd done, there would have been lots of cussing and a "dip" one way or the other at that point, I'm sure. Great job!
squirrellypoo said... (11/25/09 11:24 AM) Reply
I really like this in your stripey fabric! I wear my version of this all the time, but I think of it more of a cardigan than a top as the neckline goes down past my belly button!!
Barbara V said... (11/25/09 10:52 AM) Reply
I really like your "muslin" top and most certainly think it is wearable. What a great pattern and your version is very interesting with the change in direction of fabric pattern. Nice work! I will be looking for this one.
ALY said... (11/25/09 8:51 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for this review. I just bought this pattern and was giving a lot of though to what kind of knit would be best, since all they recommend is a knit with crossgrain stretch. not how much stretch or what kind of knit. Can't wait to see your non muslin version
carolynw said... (11/25/09 8:40 AM) Reply
OOPS - double post
carolynw said... (11/25/09 8:40 AM) Reply
JDPenelope - I didn't use a walking foot for this and it worked out just fine - even in the 6 layer section - can't remember ever using a walking foot on slinky but it may be something to try
JDpenelope said... (11/25/09 6:06 AM) Reply
This is a great top and a helpful review. I love your slinky knit and I want to make this pattern, too. Regarding sewng through 6 layers of slinky -- Did you use a walking foot? Sandra Betzina recommends one for slinky, but recently this didn't work well for me on two layers. Maybe I should figure out how to reduce pressure on the foot on my Viking Sapphire. Thanks for any tips.
Peggy L said... (11/25/09 3:06 AM) Reply
Definitely wearable! Looks like a comfortable top.
Patzee said... (11/25/09 1:31 AM) Reply
It's a fun top! Love it.
marec said... (11/24/09 9:25 PM) Reply
What a cool pattern-your use of the striped slinky really plays to the design. I love it!

Understanding Wool Fabrics