Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5145 (Misses Coat)

Reviewed by:susiestitcher

About susiestitcherstar
GA USA
Member since: 1/25/08
Posted on:12/7/09 7:15 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear
MollyApple said... (9/15/11 10:18 PM) Reply
I love the military styling and contrast piping, a beautiful piece of work! I've been reading the other reviews tempted to get this pattern, your coat just cinched the deal for me!
Robin Denning said... (8/8/10 3:03 PM) Reply
Your version of this pattern is spectacular. The fit is so nice, as are all the details and trim. Well done!
Olivia Sews said... (3/13/10 5:19 PM) Reply
I was looking for your jeans review and found this one! What a beautiful coat! It's great that you were able to make a long coat with that much yardage. The red trim and buttons really dress it up.
Heatherrique said... (3/6/10 12:30 PM) Reply
Magnificently gorgeous coat on you! Thanks for a very helpful review.
CPhT said... (2/25/10 8:30 PM) Reply
Love the coat, and love the review even more. You put as much time into the pics and descriptions as you did the sewing. Excellent job on both, and thanks so much for sharing!
Myllil said... (1/28/10 3:15 PM) Reply
Stunning! Susie stitcher you're an inspiration. I've had this pattern for over a year now and break out into a sweat with fear and dread over my first lined coat but then the gorgeous lines of this coat and the successful reviews are enticing me. I will print out your review as a handy reference. Thank you.
DorothyK said... (12/11/09 3:18 PM) Reply
You did a splendid job on this terrific coat. I love the red accents. It's a great style for you.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (12/8/09 5:17 PM) Reply
Susiestitcher, 30 years ago when I was in nursing school, we did wear a navy cape with red trim. However, your sharp coat looks nothing like my nursing cape. Your coat is classic with a modern surprise lining and I love it!
tess said... (12/8/09 7:36 AM) Reply
Wow what a beautiful tailored classic coat, really impressive and a great review, thank you!
Danvillegirl said... (12/8/09 6:54 AM) Reply
Most helpful review!!!!Lovely coat.
Kayseri said... (12/8/09 2:36 AM) Reply
Terrific looking coat.
susiestitcher said... (12/8/09 0:58 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging comments. I am happy to hear that you don't think my coat is too young for me. My hair started turning silver at age 13, with a lovely skunk streak, progressing to all over silver in my 30's. So I sometimes forget how ridiculous I must look to others when I wear certain things. I never used to think about it but...when I see photos, oh my! The coat was a great adventure and I learned so much. Sara, don't be afraid. Just take the plunge because you never know what you can do until you try.
lamstu said... (12/7/09 10:45 PM) Reply
A charming review, a beautiful coat. Definitely not too young at all. Enjoy your coat and get some cedar balls for the closet to drive off the moths. :)
sfshaza said... (12/7/09 8:19 PM) Reply
LOL! You are TOO funny! What a great review, fun to read. I love this coat on you. It's classic, but snappy with the red detailing. It looks like a perfect fit and I love that lining. Kudos.
Em's Summer said... (12/7/09 7:51 PM) Reply
What a beautiful coat! And I love the fun way you accessorized it! Looks great!!!
BJ1400 said... (12/7/09 3:54 PM) Reply
Very good review & a beautiful coat!
Elona said... (12/7/09 3:09 PM) Reply
Marvelous, helpful review, and funny as heck! Thank you for all the terrific details.
valerie sews said... (12/7/09 2:42 PM) Reply
What a beautiful coat. I love the structure of this pattern and I love the colours you used to bring this out. It looks great on you.
homejewel said... (12/7/09 12:25 PM) Reply
I L.O.V.E. your new coat - the details, the buttons, and lining. It looks great with your beautiful silver hair. Great job and fun review!
craftylady66 said... (12/7/09 11:26 AM) Reply
It looks wonderful on you! I'm an Atlanta resident as well, so if I happen to spot this coat, I'll know that it's you and will be sure to let you know that I'm a fellow PR member! You wear it well!
carolynw said... (12/7/09 10:18 AM) Reply
I just love your coat - every second of time and thinking you put into producing this shows - it is just so lovely and eye catching. Too young - not at all - wear it lots!! Terrific review
Patti B said... (12/7/09 10:08 AM) Reply
What a magnificent coat! It is so elegant and timeless. I feel your pain on lining puzzlement -- that's how I usually feel about linings! Your review is terrific and the additional photos are very helpful.
KarenJeanette said... (12/7/09 9:44 AM) Reply
Keystone Kops!! HaHa. Love the coat and great review
Elke said... (12/7/09 8:54 AM) Reply
Lovely coat ... looks fabulous on you. Thanks for the terrific review!
RLL said... (12/7/09 8:53 AM) Reply
Soooo attractive! I love it. Too young...no such thing! You did a wonderful job and what a great review. And you are right, we (I am in the Lawrenceville area) don't have a lot of very cold days, but there are a few and it is nice to have a beautiful warm coat.
Christas said... (12/7/09 8:43 AM) Reply
What a wonderful review! The coat is beautiful and definitely not too young of a style. You look great in it!
CarolynGM said... (12/7/09 8:13 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! That pattern is perfect for your build too. Thanks for a very helpful and inspiring review.
Immelu said... (12/7/09 8:13 AM) Reply
That is fantastic! I don't think it looks too young at all! In fact, I think it looks like it was made for you! ;)
Sara The Slayer said... (12/7/09 7:56 AM) Reply
Lovin the coat, but now worrying that a coat is WAY beyond any future skill level I may achieve.

Jalie 2445