Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2009-117

OK USA
Member since: 3/16/06

Posted on:1/10/10 3:21 PM
Kbenco said... (1/21/10 6:25 AM) Reply
Such a stunning dress. I hope you will forgive the gussets for giving you so much trouble.
Vintage Joan said... (1/20/10 1:38 PM) Reply
How did I miss this review a couple of weeks ago? Wow -- FABULOUS dress, in the most scrumptous earthy green ever. Wonderful review, too, as usual. :)
Kellie R. said... (1/19/10 5:17 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! You did a fabulous job, despite the "challenges" along the way. It was worth the effort as you look totally glam!
Beek said... (1/13/10 6:14 PM) Reply
This is such a beautiful dress - the pattern and choice of fabric are perfect. I know you mentioned that you struggled with the gussets, but they came out perfect!
Heatherrique said... (1/11/10 9:20 PM) Reply
This is one looker of a dress on you, Christas! Who would know the troubles you encountered in making the dress when the result is SPECTACULAR. Enjoy!
lamstu said... (1/11/10 5:58 PM) Reply
I love your dress. It looks fantastic in every way - fabrication, workmanship, color and style on you! I hope that I might ever have somewhere to wear this gorgeous style. Thank you for the inspiration.
Elke said... (1/11/10 4:43 PM) Reply
Lovely dress and it fits you perfectly! I love the silk fabric and it looks great on you!
Karen6790 said... (1/11/10 3:57 PM) Reply
Well, this was worth all your stress and strain - it looks FABULOUS on you.
RLL said... (1/11/10 2:48 PM) Reply
The finished result was certainly worth the frustration! Georgous.
Karendee said... (1/11/10 2:44 PM) Reply
Christa, You are simply gorgeous in your new stylish dress, as all have commented. The style is perfect on you; the color highlights your hair/skin tones, and what a figure to enhance the dress!!!! I wondered if you'd be able to wear the dress w/o a cami for a more dressy party etc? Either way, it is just a perfectly made dress--worn to perfection. The nightmare of the gussets will soon fade I'm sure for a person of your endurance (I.E. having more than one child!) LOL, gussets are nothing compared to that! Enjoy your beauty!
Michele Lommasson said... (1/11/10 2:23 PM) Reply
I think your dress is absolutely lovely. I'm pretty sure you will soon think it was worth the effort.
Mahler said... (1/11/10 12:45 PM) Reply
Ripping or not, this is such a great dress. Thank you so much for pointing out the flaws in their design. I love it on you. Lovely present from Annette. For the Dupioni, I wash it often, bu never in the machine. I wash it by hand. Dip, shake, dip, shake dip for 10 minutes, rinse, roll into a huge towel (be careful it can dye or die ?! your towel for the colour runs a little). Then I hang to dry and iron after. It works well that way. Beautiful, I tell you !
Christas said... (1/11/10 9:22 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone, for all the nice comments! FreyaStark, I used a polyester lining fabric in addition to the interfacing. I do feel it was worth it because the dress wrinkles much less than it would have without the lining. I had been sitting (in the car and church) for about 3 hours when the pics were taken. There are very few wrinkles in the dress. The interlining was a breeze compared to the gussets!!! LOL!
carolynw said... (1/11/10 9:21 AM) Reply
It was definitely worth every bit of trouble you had with it - this is gorgeous and am so glad you will wear it often.
annie11 said... (1/11/10 9:03 AM) Reply
You look absolutely beautiful in this dress! I love the color on you and your workmanship is superb. Enjoy!
Ciclista said... (1/11/10 8:40 AM) Reply
That is a drop dead gorgeous dress and it looks perfect on you. I'm pulling out that BWOF issue to attempt it for SKhalie's LBD class. Thanks so much for the gusset link and warning - hopefully I'll persevere as you did :)
Sewingelle said... (1/11/10 6:36 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous. I love this pattern. And you did a wonderful job. I'd love to make this too, but I'm waiting for someone with a pot belly like me to make it and show me it still looks good on a less than perfect figure before I'm brave enough to face the gussets!
FreyaStark said... (1/11/10 6:25 AM) Reply
It looks great, but please tell me: was the effort of interlining the whole dress worthwhile? What did you use for the interlining - a lining fabric or a lightweight interfacing?
KathleenS said... (1/11/10 4:10 AM) Reply
It's gorgeous! You've kind of contradicted yourself - you say it's a nightmare to make, but you've done such a good job of advertising it too...
QuiltSewSewSue said... (1/11/10 2:49 AM) Reply
That dress is beautiful on you and the colour is great!
SusiM said... (1/11/10 0:47 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! And thanks for the helpful information about the size and the gussets.
Natasha B said... (1/11/10 0:27 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress - perfect fit and great style on you. It was worth the gussets!
callmeRuth said... (1/10/10 11:18 PM) Reply
Everything about the dress is flattering on you--the style, color, fit--everything. Lovely work, Christa.
Heidi Ho said... (1/10/10 10:16 PM) Reply
That is a beautiful dress. Well worth the trouble and aggravation. It fits you perfectly and that color looks wonderful on you too!!!
thirteenstitches said... (1/10/10 10:06 PM) Reply
Very beautiful work. You look so pretty in this dress.
Barbara V said... (1/10/10 8:48 PM) Reply
Sewing reveals personalities and yours is brimming with perseverance! That is the thing you should remember about the construction of your beautiful dress. The fit is perfect and it is a lovely style for you.
Catbird said... (1/10/10 8:29 PM) Reply
This is flat-out gorgeous, Christa. I too predict that your gusset nightmare will fade someday and leave you with with just the happy memory of creating this beautiful dress from that beautiful silk! You really look stunning. Wow.
katharin said... (1/10/10 8:01 PM) Reply
The dress is lovely on you. The color and shape are beautiful. Thank you for the helpful review and about the silk treatment.
suesmith said... (1/10/10 6:57 PM) Reply
Fit and color...beautiful. You have created a stunning dress. I would say it was definitely worth the extra effort.!
Patti B said... (1/10/10 6:49 PM) Reply
Isn't that lovely? Your agony doesn't show in the finished dress! Don't make another one -- just enjoy this one.
Sewnsewmom said... (1/10/10 6:29 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. And it looks great on you. The fit is nice too.
nellc said... (1/10/10 5:56 PM) Reply
Your dress is really lovely, it fits so well and I love the colour of the silk. It was well worth persevering with those gussets!
blue mooney said... (1/10/10 5:49 PM) Reply
frustrating or not, the finished product looks lovely! well worth all the work you put into it.
Kay Y said... (1/10/10 5:30 PM) Reply
I confidently predict you will soon forget the seam-ripping and gusset-frustration, and just love your beautiful dress, every time you wear it. It suits you to a T.
Annette1 said... (1/10/10 4:09 PM) Reply
Yeah, but how do you REALLY feel about those gussets, Christa? Heh-heh-heh. I remember when I made that top of mine I was telling you about, I said NEVER AGAIN, too (YET, I still have the pattern, if only I could find it). :o) I just LOVE this dress. I think it's one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES of yours. You have the PERFECT figure for it, and your construction is FLAWLESS, really FLAWLESS. :o)) BRAVISIMO!
AnneMarie60 said... (1/10/10 3:48 PM) Reply
Your dress is gorgeous! I love the silk. You achieved a perfect fit.
Lori V said... (1/10/10 3:30 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress.
Danvillegirl said... (1/10/10 3:29 PM) Reply
Lovely dress! Very nice fit. Great job.

Kwik Sew 2952