Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8620 (JACKET)

Reviewed by:sew2little

About sew2littlestar
Member since: 1/12/04
Posted on:1/22/10 7:33 PM
Last Updated:1/30/10 7:05 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
MNBarb said... (2/17/12 7:34 PM) Reply
I'm stalking your pattern reviews to get ideas. This jacket is so originally wonderful. I love how the right fabric can make a pattern go from so-so to terrific. You have a good eye for what will bring a garment to the "next level".
marec said... (10/28/11 8:57 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket-I love that grafitti print.
Michele W said... (4/6/11 6:02 PM) Reply
I adore this fabric! Your jacket looks fabulous on you.
Modiste Madness said... (5/31/10 8:20 AM) Reply
I love your version with such unique fabric. I looks great.
Patti B said... (3/2/10 7:36 PM) Reply
Gosh, I hadn't seen version 2! Nice!
marjenann said... (2/2/10 7:42 AM) Reply
Striking jacket!! Love what you did with this fabric!!
DorothyK said... (2/1/10 0:45 AM) Reply
Fantastic jacket, and of course I love the fabric. Next time I should ask you to shop for me.
Rebecca D said... (1/31/10 9:51 AM) Reply
Love it in the latest fabric - just stunning!
carolynw said... (1/31/10 9:38 AM) Reply
gorgeous - your jacket is so eye catching in the nicest way. great review
digs57 said... (1/31/10 8:04 AM) Reply
That looks like the perfect jacket for warmer weather. The open neckline is very flattering. It looks fabulous in that fabric.
kkkkaty said... (1/30/10 8:09 PM) Reply
oh, gosh, I love it....
Barbara V said... (1/30/10 7:41 PM) Reply
Marci, Both of your jackets are fabulous. One being denim and the other an artsy print lends to a feel of completely different jacket styles. Your fine tuning the fit and proportions make them look just right for you. Nice work and very helpful review!
crazygrad said... (1/30/10 7:20 PM) Reply
That jacket rocks the casbah! I really love the Clash!
Kay Y said... (1/24/10 2:33 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks fabulous on you - casual but surprisingly shapely, and lovely neckline. I hadn't considered this pattern at all but now ... hmmm.
Jane S said... (1/24/10 1:52 AM) Reply
WOw, I love how this turned out. You look so chic in this jacket. I've been wondering about getting this pattern but it's so wearable but cool, too. bravo!
lamstu said... (1/23/10 10:40 PM) Reply
Very cute and wearable muslin! I am still on the fence about this jacket. Thanks in particular for mentioning your experience of trying to pair it with a skirt.
sew2little said... (1/23/10 2:28 PM) Reply
Thanks, everyone! Michelle99--the zipper stands away from the body when it's all zipped up like a giant turtleneck, so the zipper isn't a problem, but it's probably not a look I'd wear. When I zip it up a bit more, it looks fine.
lmg said... (1/23/10 12:42 PM) Reply
Oh thanks for the review. I have this cut out and with your info I think I will cut it down a size. Lovely jacket.
Rebecca D said... (1/23/10 8:11 AM) Reply
Your jacket is fantastic, thanks for such a helpful review, especially as regards sizing which is often a challenge with Marcy Tilton patterns. You should totally make this jacket again with the graffiti pattern and orange zipper. As for styling, I think it looks great with your jeans and I wonder if you could wear it over a simple shift/sheath dress.
Michelle99 said... (1/23/10 4:08 AM) Reply
Great jacket. I didn't look twice at this pattern, but now I might. Is the zipper uncomfortable around your chin when it's zipped up? Or would you just not wear it zipped all the way?
Michele Lommasson said... (1/22/10 10:40 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. You have certainly paved the way for the rest of us to make successful jackets.
Fictionfan said... (1/22/10 10:38 PM) Reply
Excellent review, thanks! Looks great on you, better than I thought the pattern could look. Great collar for you, flattering jacket. Very Nice!
moushka said... (1/22/10 10:29 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket, very flattering. Thanks for a thoughtful review.
Patti B said... (1/22/10 10:07 PM) Reply
Oh, I like it! And of course you need another jacket in this style. It looks as if it will be great with pants or a pencil skirt (your favorite -- not).
Fashions said... (1/22/10 9:51 PM) Reply
Absolutely LOVE it! Love the collar and I actually like the sleeve length too. I had my eye on that pattern for a while now. If I decide to make it I probably won't lengthen the sleeves.
Sew4Fun said... (1/22/10 8:29 PM) Reply
I was thinking this pattern would be boxy but on you it looks very shapely. Thanks for taking the time to include a photo on you. It's helpful, as was your review.
DaisyEsq said... (1/22/10 7:44 PM) Reply
Thank you for a great review. Your jacket looks wonderful.

Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern