Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Cynthia Guffey Patterns> 2010 (princess seamed top)

Reviewed by:Lee Ann Hawkins

About Lee Ann Hawkinsstar
IN USA
Member since: 1/11/03
Posted on:2/14/10 9:11 PM
Last Updated:2/15/10 3:25 AM
danalou said... (7/24/11 6:08 PM) Reply
i just attended a full day class with cynthia yesterday and am overjoyed with new knowledge. your review was incredibly helpful to me. I just bought the pattern and am anxious to make a muslin.
catwoman7 said... (3/13/10 12:13 PM) Reply
Ooh! I love the colors you chose. The teal outfit also looks smashing, even without accessories. Wonderfully inspiring!
sideseams said... (2/16/10 1:02 PM) Reply
This was a wonderful review. I have really gotten a lot of tips from it. Your tops are just perfect in every way.
Jane S said... (2/15/10 9:05 PM) Reply
Beautiful tops and wonderful review. I agree about Cynthia. Years ago I was intimidated by what I saw as her perfectionism but as my sewing and fitting skills improved I saw the wisdom of her approach. You are making custom clothing, after all. The colors are wonderful on you and the linings make me smile
Danvillegirl said... (2/15/10 7:53 PM) Reply
I have the earlier version of this top. I enjoyed viewing all of your versions and really like the shoulder princess style.
threadbearer said... (2/15/10 5:27 PM) Reply
DH is a wonderful addition to the whole wonderful presentation. Keep him!
marthamyers said... (2/15/10 4:24 PM) Reply
Your work is great! I'll bet even CG would agree. I have this pattern and simply must use it now. Thanks for the review.
AnneMarie60 said... (2/15/10 2:29 PM) Reply
Wonderful job on these lovely blouses. Excellent review. Love the pic of your hubby!
lorenakitty said... (2/15/10 12:22 PM) Reply
Fabulous tops and fabulous sewing skills too, your fitting is fantastic. Thank you for introducing this line to me through a great review, I've already bookmarked 2 patterns and am really looking forward to learning some new techniques. Bravo!
Doris W. in TN said... (2/15/10 11:46 AM) Reply
Great review and you look wonderful in the top! You may have convinced me to buy the pattern.
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (2/15/10 11:28 AM) Reply
thanks everyone! In reply to JEF--yes, I have thought about that--just 'down and dirty'. The problem I encounter is threefold: you will have princess seams that would need to have all the raw edges finished somehow or the inside would be a mess 2) you would have to use facings, or use a bias binding on the neckline and armscye (without the piping)-- which would likely take me just as long 3) the center back seam is shaped--kind of an "S" curve. It is actually faster for me to insert a hand-picked zipper than fight with machine inserting a regular or invisible zipper on a long curved back seam. I have wondered about trying this with a heavy stable knit--wouldn't have to finish the seams inside, and could likely bind the neck and armhole without too much trouble. You could use contrast binding. May try this, JEF!
Patti B said... (2/15/10 10:31 AM) Reply
What lovely blouses and your work is just as lovely.
Woolygal said... (2/15/10 9:56 AM) Reply
Im so excited. I plan on taking a few fitting classes with Cynthia at the Worchester Ma. expo in April. Thanks for the review.
Lisa Laree said... (2/15/10 9:54 AM) Reply
Lee Ann, these tops are beautiful and elegant! Thanks so much for sharing them like this!
Red Curtain said... (2/15/10 9:37 AM) Reply
Your writeup really shows a great appreciation for Cynthia's patterns, methods and your own philosophy in slow delightful sewing too. Great writeup and wonderful blouses.
Rebecca D said... (2/15/10 8:39 AM) Reply
This is exactly the sort of sewing that I aspire to - I am so impressed. Your tops are perfect jewels. I wish Cynthia had her 2010 schedule up on her site. I so want to study with her.
portercs said... (2/15/10 8:12 AM) Reply
Very beautiful job! I appreciate all the couture work involved and hope that my own sewing skills will advance to that some day.
JEF said... (2/15/10 8:00 AM) Reply
Very beautiful and very helpful reviews. I'm curious - have you ever tried doing one of these in a down-and-dirty way without all the handwork? I'm wondering just how much the handwork adds to the finished look (which is wonderful).
jilly cooper said... (2/15/10 6:39 AM) Reply
these look beautiful with the lining, so professional.
LaurieEm said... (2/14/10 11:18 PM) Reply
Thank you for this new review. It is encouraging and inspiring me to pull out one of Cynthia's patterns and get to work. Cynthia's presentations are just about life-changing. Lee Ann, you have earned a promotion to Advanced.
DaisyEsq said... (2/14/10 10:31 PM) Reply
Beautifully fit blouse!
sew2006 said... (2/14/10 9:44 PM) Reply
Thank you for a wonderfully detailed review. All your tops look and fit great.
Kathy in NM said... (2/14/10 9:33 PM) Reply
A very nice fit and the colors look great on you! I like the professional look of these tops. I might take a look at this pattern. Thanks for a great review! Love your husbands photo too, how cute!
patma said... (2/14/10 9:26 PM) Reply