Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8430

Pattern Photo:Vogue Patterns 8430
Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Fabric:Silk Habotai (China Silk)  [See other projects in this fabric]
I have made this jacket by Marcy Tilton about 5 times! It's a wonderful pattern for textile artists, because of the unique cut and the simple design, which allows you to show off your fabric. The pattern calls for a felted wool or boiled wool -- but, in this case, I wanted to use my own silk fabric, which was woven off-loom.

To create the fabric, I purchased bias-cut habotai silk ribbon from Dharma Trading Company. I made it into a skein, just as I would any yarn, and then hand-painted it in a variety of deep blues and purples. I loved the result so much that I wanted to display it like a canvas -- so I wove it off-loom, using a cutting board as a grid, to create a mosaic look. The fabric was very flimsy, so I reinforced it with some very lightweight iron-on stabilizer, and then backed it with hand-dyed China silk, using vertical quilting stitches.

The coat turn out so well that I submitted it to the Handweavers' Guild of America's fashion show in Tampa in 2008, and it was juried in.

The only problem with this pattern is that the neck doesn't always stand up nicely, and the front tends to fall open. Personally, I don't like to wear anything that falls open in front like that, but I have friends that love the look!

Other Projects by Denise Kovnat using this Pattern

maryfrana said... (10/10/15 11:24 AM) Reply
So often wearable art is art but not particularly wearable. This is stunning in both categories -- art and wearable. Glorious
chimommy68 said... (10/9/15 2:40 PM) Reply
A true piece of art.
VogueMistress said... (10/9/15 1:05 PM) Reply
Wow...that is striking! I'm very impressed with your technique and you have a beautiful garment as a result.
Christine K said... (10/9/15 11:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful fabric. I agree, this pattern appears to be ideal for highlighting a unique and interesting fabric.
tiadia said... (10/9/15 9:26 AM) Reply
This is stunning. What beautiful colours.
cindyann said... (10/9/15 8:50 AM) Reply
That is absolutely gorgeous! The color way is so striking!
lakaribane said... (10/9/15 8:48 AM) Reply
Denise, you have killed me and brought me back to life! I love it!
closetshopper said... (10/9/15 8:42 AM) Reply
Vancouvergirl said... (10/9/15 7:40 AM) Reply
So beautiful! Wow!
velosewer said... (10/9/15 5:52 AM) Reply
Gorgeous work. All those wonderful colours are so attractive.
chris51 said... (10/9/15 2:05 AM) Reply
A stunning piece of wearable art. The talent and time to envision such an undertaking and painstakingly prepare the fabric is mind-boggling and inspirational. WOW!
teachutah said... (10/8/15 11:48 PM) Reply
The colors chosen for this jacket are just gorgeous.! Even better, is the fact that you created parts of the fabric to your liking Just beautiful..
carolynw said... (10/8/15 11:46 PM) Reply
Gorgeous and definitely one of a kind - the kind I would steal :)
textilehappy said... (11/27/14 10:30 PM) Reply
annakeeton said... (1/28/14 6:34 AM) Reply
I really like your fiber art techniques!
velosewer said... (2/19/13 7:29 PM) Reply
This is stunning.
a life in stitches said... (8/27/11 2:10 PM) Reply
Re. the pattern-yea the old ones are the best. Re. the photos- yes that would be nice, but honestly your description's good, and great to know you hae been working this way, a great interpretation, love the look.
Rhoda K said... (8/27/11 12:43 PM) Reply
The link to your photo isn't working :-( Would love to see a close-up.
JillyBe said... (10/24/10 1:14 PM) Reply
How are people able to see the fabric? I would so like a better view of this.
DorothyK said... (8/13/10 1:12 PM) Reply
Looks fantastic. Would love to see more.
RLL said... (6/6/10 3:29 PM) Reply
Yes, bigger better more detailed photo's please. Your work is very interesting.
nglalala said... (3/27/10 10:26 AM) Reply
The colors are fabulous!! I can't believe you made the fabric!
Karendee said... (3/6/10 4:30 PM) Reply
I reread my post and realize it sounded less than kind. I just wanted to stress how anxious I was to admire your work more "upclose and personal." And I know how difficult posting pics can be. Thanks for sharing what you could. You are a wonderful artist and I enjoyed your website. Also, I apologize for any strident sounding words on my part.
marthamyers said... (3/5/10 10:57 AM) Reply
Everyone else has already said it - WOW!
Denise Kovnat said... (3/5/10 10:26 AM) Reply
Thanks for the comments. I'm working on posting these photos to a blog, so that I can show more detail. More to come!
Nancy K said... (3/5/10 9:22 AM) Reply
Stunning piece of wearable art that is actually wearable.
AuntieShel said... (3/5/10 8:59 AM) Reply
OMG--absolutely fabulous!!!
carolynw said... (3/5/10 8:38 AM) Reply
The pattern is a good one to show off fabric and I have to say I am impressed beyond belief at the beauitiful fabric you made. It's gorgeous and definitely one of a kind
Auntie Allyn said... (3/5/10 8:24 AM) Reply
Gorgeous!!! This pattern is in my "to do" stash, and your comments will give me inspiration to try things other than just plain'ol fabric when I make it up.
Denise L Perry said... (3/5/10 7:40 AM) Reply
What a talented artist you are! I love all your creations. So well done and unique!
my horse said... (3/5/10 2:01 AM) Reply
Thank you for this review! The pattern is a go-to for me so the treasure in the review is your technique for the fabric. I would love additional pics as well.
Rhoda K said... (3/4/10 6:23 PM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful and I, too, would like to see a clickable photo to enlarge.
Karendee said... (3/4/10 3:19 PM) Reply
I am extremely frustrated since I can't open up a larger version of these 4 magnificent jackets/coats you've made. I would love to see the dying techniques up close on the fabic and weaving. You are such an artist; please let us see your results more clearly. Thank you.
Elona said... (3/4/10 3:12 PM) Reply
I would love, love, love to see the details in all your reviews! Could you make the images clickable so that we can get a close-up?