Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 3438 (Men's Underwear and Sports)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:3/8/10 12:11 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
ggf2005 said... (3/9/10 1:20 PM) Reply
Great Job Peter. I'll bring the margaritas!
voet said... (3/9/10 8:55 AM) Reply
Another great job, Peter. I like how you used just the yellow stripe for the binding. You describe a method for attaching the binding to the neck line that seems to have worked well on this tank top. However, for a t-shirt where you want the neck to keep its shape, the method they tell you to use in the pattern might work better. You actually want the neck binding to pull in the stretch of the knit. The way to do this is divide both into quarters and pin the quarter markings together. The binding should be a little bit shorter than the neck edge, so you will have to stretch it a bit as you sew. The quarter marks help you to distribute the stretch evenly. Once you get the hang of it, I think you will be pleased with the result. It creates a neck line that lies nicely against the body.
gabrielle said... (3/9/10 1:52 AM) Reply
Ha, I have that machine!! I love it dearly, and I also have great results with knits. Doesn't seem to stretch them out of whack as much as my modern machine. Anyway, love the stripy top (fave look is w/cardigan)
sew2006 said... (3/8/10 7:39 PM) Reply
Love your Singer machine!
FreyaStark said... (3/8/10 5:14 PM) Reply
Very nice T-shirts. It's interesting that you are getting such good results with straight stitching. I've done very little sewing with knit fabrics myself but when I do, I use a fine zigzag (short stitch length, not too dense) and it works well enough.
vivianna said... (3/8/10 4:06 PM) Reply
Wow, great T shirt. What a wonderful result with a straight stitch machine.
RadarRadiance said... (3/8/10 2:46 PM) Reply
Enjoyed looking at the shirts, great fit, you got the knits down pat. I'm also curious on sewing the knit with a straight stitch; did you stretch the material as you sewed it? Before I got a serger I made all my H t-shirts and he would always pop the seams on me. Enjoy your reviews!
petro said... (3/8/10 1:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review, its interesting that you got such a good result with just a straight stitch machine,especially on the neck and armhole finishing.

by: nicegirl