Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6890 (Men's Shirt)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:3/28/10 11:24 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

Other Projects by Peter in NYC using this Pattern

Englishstitch said... (5/8/10 5:45 PM) Reply
Wow! You look great, your shirt is so stylish and cool. Move over Becks!
Heatherrique said... (3/31/10 9:38 PM) Reply
Totally GQ, Peter!
Skymom said... (3/31/10 5:29 PM) Reply
Great-looking shirt! I've always liked that club collar, but most guys can't really wear it--you have to be slim and hip to make it work, so it looks perfect for you. I think seeking out patterns from the 1970s is a great idea if you want to get that fitted look; things got pretty baggy after that, and even today, men's shirts seem generally to be cut on the large side. Also, if you can make a shirt this nice, and jeans, and a coat, you need to promote yourself at least to intermediate!
DOMESTICATEDMENNONITE said... (3/31/10 10:46 AM) Reply
You may have convinced me to raid Moms patterns again...... she won't like that, but my husband will. You're right about that collar. Classic with a difference. Very nice.
Peter in NYC said... (3/30/10 10:58 PM) Reply
Hi, Cathy. Primarily the collar and the plackets. It can be used anywhere you want a truly sharp, flat crease.
CathrynR said... (3/30/10 6:02 PM) Reply
Good job, very nice shirt. I also particularly like the collar. Can you tell specifically what (part of the shirt) you used the clapper on?
BettyMike said... (3/29/10 7:24 PM) Reply
Love your shirt. I really need to start looking for these vintage patterns for my husband. I love your reviews and your blog!
Peter in NYC said... (3/29/10 10:13 AM) Reply
Sadly, making those plackets is a little like origami. Thanks for the comments, everybody!
feldmanTcat said... (3/29/10 8:06 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review - the shirt looks great. I bought this pattern last year to use for my fiance and I have not yet tried it. I need to get a copy of the book you used, because those weird sleeve placket methods often confuse me and yours look absolutely perfect.
Maree P said... (3/29/10 6:14 AM) Reply
This is a great shirt Peter....great slim cut, great collar and exceptional sewing on the placket. Your shirt reminds me of Jay's (ie Robert Redford) fabulous wardrobe in The Great Gatsby.
TracyB said... (3/29/10 1:07 AM) Reply
David Beckham runs a remote second to the well-dressed, articulate, and generally good looking Peter Lappin who has the most happening blog ever.
Karen Easter said... (3/28/10 11:32 PM) Reply
Hey, Peter, you did a great job with the shirt. And the top-stitching is really good! I agree with Nan Kay -- you're not a beginner any more!
RadarRadiance said... (3/28/10 10:34 PM) Reply
Wonderful! I especially was impressed looking at your sleeve placket. I worked menís wear at a very established store and you should be exceptionally proud of your shirt. Love the collar too!
AuntieShel said... (3/28/10 7:18 PM) Reply
OMG what a fabulous shirt, can't believe you have just started sewing. This is so professional. And I was rolling reading about your "fabric." Wow, I have a clapper bought several years ago, didn't know they were antiques these days. Guess I'll hang onto it.
Annette1 said... (3/28/10 5:20 PM) Reply
VERY nice in every respect. And you can NEVER have too. many. photos. :o)
FreyaStark said... (3/28/10 4:27 PM) Reply
A lovely smart shirt.
Rhoda K said... (3/28/10 3:52 PM) Reply
Great job! I think using sheets is a great idea.
Kathy in NM said... (3/28/10 2:57 PM) Reply
Glad to see the finished shirt! I enjoy reading about your up-cycling, especially with great sheet finds! I wonder if tea-dying would hide those stains? I've been eyeing the wood clapper, maybe I'll just have to get one now.
Nan Kay said... (3/28/10 2:37 PM) Reply
Peter, I think you have advanced past the beginner status! Great shirt, and you are a very creative fabric shopper!
zazzie said... (3/28/10 1:39 PM) Reply
What a smart look. Love it. (One thing I know - and love - about wood clappers is that they are not only a very flat surface, which helps pressing, but they also absorb humidity (steam). I could not live without one!)
Mirakel said... (3/28/10 1:10 PM) Reply
It looks great, glad you were able to successfully cut around your "stains"! I love that you use sheets, I do also, as well as curtains - so much more affordable!
no7262 said... (3/28/10 12:17 PM) Reply