Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1069

Member since: 10/12/04
Posted on:4/11/10 6:09 PM
Last Updated:4/11/10 6:17 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear
bkryatty said... (6/11/16 6:50 PM) Reply
I'm making this jacket for a standard sized person with a good figure. The sleeve is VERY narrow for a jacket. You couldn't wear anything but a sleeveless tank under it. BUT I have a question: How on earth did you sew the sleeve seam? The instructions said simply to "machine zigzag in place." That's fine until you see that it is a long narrow tube sewn by overlapping one over the other. Other than by skilled wrestling, how do you get all the way up (or down) the seam on a tube? I managed it . . . (I am a skilled wrestler of fabric) but I was hoping there was an easier method.
Nancy in A2 replied...(6/12/16 11:13 AM)
It's been a while, but basting the seam is a must. I always sew using the flat-bed method. In this case, I would have gathered the sleeve together after basting (into a donut shape) and put it under the foot, in the "donut hole". Start stiching this way and the fabric will become less tightly bunched and easier to control. It is a lot easier to do than explain.
Mc Donna said... (2/17/11 7:23 PM) Reply
Doesn't look like the wrong fabric to me! It looks beautiful on you.
JillyBe said... (12/4/10 8:34 PM) Reply
Thank you for your helpful review - I'm considering this pattern, & your comments about the fabric are definitely helpful. Although I think your jacket looks great in the fabric you used!
jlg said... (10/4/10 6:36 AM) Reply
This is fabulous. I think that it looks lovely on you, and that fabric is really special.
sfshaza said... (9/26/10 3:04 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous jacket. I love this pattern and am considering make it up for fall, so thanks for your excellent review.
Nancy in A2 said... (9/21/10 9:05 AM) Reply
SCADmum - Look at the drawing schematic; you can see the shape of the princess seams. The jacket also has side seams. All seams are lapped, with raw edges. I think the easiest place to add pockets would be at the seam the attaches the extended lapel. The bottom of the lapel is not stitched down. You could add the pocket there. A trickier, but more integrated place would be the bottom front edge of the princess seam.
SCADMum said... (9/20/10 10:22 PM) Reply
I Love the jacket. The one thing that puts me off is lack of a pocket. Is there a side seam where I could add one? I see there is a shoulder princess seam that could potentially eliminate a side seam. I love the fabric. You did a great job.
Fluffy bunny said... (9/8/10 5:42 AM) Reply
I know I'm very late to this, but I was thinking of buying this pattern. Your jacket is really beautiful and the fabric is great! It suits you really well.
AuntieShel said... (4/13/10 7:42 AM) Reply
That is an awesome jacket--you look stunning in it. Thank you so much for reviewing this pattern.
Lynnelle said... (4/12/10 1:41 PM) Reply
Your coat is beautiful! It's great to see you again, too!
Nancy in A2 said... (4/12/10 11:12 AM) Reply
You guys are so kind. Thank you.
carolynw said... (4/12/10 9:41 AM) Reply
This is beautiful - you may have used the "wrong" fabric but it turned out just wonderful. Bet you'll get lots of compliments
susiestitcher said... (4/12/10 9:40 AM) Reply
You look great in this beautiful jacket. I love your fabric choice. You have done some wonderful sewing and alterations here! A lighter fabric might hang completely differently, so you could sew another and get an entirely different jacket. Double pleasure!
lamstu said... (4/12/10 9:30 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks great in this fabric! I think it's a very good choice and more useful in the heavier weight.
valerie sews said... (4/12/10 8:22 AM) Reply
What a lovely elegant jacket. I think the material makes it. You're making me want to buy this pattern.
Jane S said... (4/12/10 8:07 AM) Reply
What beautiful fabric for this great jacket. You look wonderful in it. I bought this pattern because it's a little avant garde for my wardrobe but still with classic lines. Thanks for the sleeve alteration tip as well.
Rebecca D said... (4/12/10 6:35 AM) Reply
It's gorgeous.
Aixoise said... (4/11/10 11:49 PM) Reply
Based on the envelope photo and line drawings, I'd never have looked twice at this pattern. But your interpretation is beautiful and eye-catching. It's a lovely look on you, and the fabric adds so much interest. I hope to see more of your reviews.
Athene said... (4/11/10 11:33 PM) Reply
I really like this pattern and I think your coat is lovely and fits very nicely. Thank you for the great picture of the sleeve piece showing the alterations.
Rhoda K said... (4/11/10 11:28 PM) Reply
Very nice coat and interesting fabric. Like your hair, too ;-)
sewnsewtoo said... (4/11/10 8:53 PM) Reply
Lovely coat and distinctive too.
Kay Y said... (4/11/10 8:45 PM) Reply
This is really beautiful - the fabric is fascinating!
frame said... (4/11/10 6:25 PM) Reply
Your jacket is gorgeous. Very nice job.

by: SewWil