Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4827 (Misses Medieval Dress and Belt)

Reviewed by:Aroura

About Arourastarstarstar
OR USA
Member since: 7/30/09
Posted on:5/4/10 11:39 PM
Last Updated:5/20/10 12:15 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
knwalli said... (9/30/10 3:06 PM) Reply
Do you think crushed panne would work for this dress?
arianamaniacs said... (6/10/10 6:39 AM) Reply
The next time you make this, you could switch to spiral front lacing. That is period as well
Aroura said... (6/9/10 9:15 PM) Reply
Russkie3, wow, I had absolutely no idea! I did the search you suggested, and almost fainted at the price of the pillowcases alone! Mine are well used, granted, but I got a king fitted sheet with one pillowcase for $5 at a little church thrift store. And I still have more than 2 yards + the pillowcase uncut left. How wonderfully ironic that it is from the "Guinevere" collection. I guess it was fated to become a Medieval gown! Thank you so much for the info, it makes me love my gown that much more! :D
russkie3 said... (6/9/10 7:13 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!! You said that you weren't crazy about the fabric but I love it. Did you know that the floral is from Ralph Lauren's Guinevere/Aragon bedding collection (now retired) and highly sought after. Go to Ebay and type "Ralph Lauren Guinevere" in to the All Categories" search box and you'll be blown away by the prices this pattern sheets are going for!
AnneM said... (6/5/10 9:25 PM) Reply
Lovely, came out great. It fits you very nicely, and the style works nicely for you. You will look great at the coronation.
Maggiedoll said... (5/27/10 6:55 PM) Reply
Oh it's beautiful!!
Taarna said... (5/21/10 9:54 AM) Reply
This is absolutely beautiful! And so creative!
Aroura said... (5/20/10 8:51 PM) Reply
Gloria, good question! First I cut the lacing itself to have about 12 inches of "extra" length on each side. Knot the ends so it won't slip through the eyelets. This gives me lots of room to open it up and slip in. Only downside is the long bow/tie on my bottom when I'm done. Because the lacing extends so far down the back, about 8 in below my waist, I can easily reach around and gently snug and tighten, without straining my arms/shoulders. On almost all other backlacings, I could not reach around, it would be too high up. This gown, the bottom eyelets are low enough for me to reach. I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but I find it fairly easy to get into, which was a pleasant surprise to me as well! MDH appreciates not having to spend 10 minutes getting me into this outfit, like so many previous ones!
Gloria W said... (5/20/10 7:21 PM) Reply
I have to ask ... If the laces are in back, how do you manage to get in it by yourself?
droxy said... (5/20/10 6:41 PM) Reply
It's nice to see the picture of the whole costume including the hat. The look and color combinatiosn work. I like that you extended the costume and mentioned how that impacted your project.
Aroura said... (5/20/10 12:33 PM) Reply
JillyBe, I am an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) member. It's kind of like A Ren Faire, just a bit more serious. I made this garb because I will be attending the coronation of our new King in July. I know it sounds wierd and nerdy, but it is a lot of fun :) And thanks so much for the compliments, I am really flattered!
JillyBe said... (5/20/10 12:25 PM) Reply
Wow. Just wow! That's so beautiful on you! Where do you wear your costumes?
MagpieJen said... (5/5/10 9:45 PM) Reply
Gorgeous gown! Your inspirational painting is one of my favorites too, and you do it justice!
Aroura said... (5/5/10 5:41 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I tried very hard to match colors with that enormous floral print. Even though it isn't terribly period, (the key letter to me in SCA is C for "creative"), I think it will wear well at events.
Re Becca said... (5/5/10 12:56 PM) Reply
That looks fabulous! I love the way that your colors work together. Thanks for the wonderful pictures too.
CarolynGM said... (5/5/10 12:07 PM) Reply
This is sensational! You look like you stepped right out of a medieval painting.
p1xie said... (5/5/10 10:06 AM) Reply
This is beautiful. I just love the details of the sleeves. And the back wow!
JEF said... (5/5/10 9:27 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous! It really is so very pretty and you look lovely in it.
tess said... (5/5/10 4:06 AM) Reply
Oh, you're finished gown looks beautiful! Wonderfully tailored, you should be very proud!
michalklimer said... (5/5/10 0:56 AM) Reply
this is so so pretty!
MagpieJen said... (5/1/10 12:23 PM) Reply
Some lovely looking work on the lacing so far! I'm looking forward to seeing your gown!
dfr2010 said... (4/30/10 3:48 PM) Reply
The eyelets do look good, and I am sure the cotton will be comfortable even if it may not be as drapey as you wanted. I think the colors and print are lovely.
Aroura said... (4/30/10 10:10 AM) Reply
I've been using eyelets in garments for a while, and the hardest part is getting the spacing correct. The eyelest come with the tool to set them, all you need is a regular hammer a stable work surface. It works very well! Thanks for the comments :) Hope to finish this up soon!
Trephas2003 said... (4/30/10 7:11 AM) Reply
It looks beautiful!
tess said... (4/30/10 5:37 AM) Reply
This looks wonderful but I'm wondering how difficult were the eyelets to place?

Merchant & Mills Top 64