Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket
In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine

Posted on:5/18/10 7:30 PM
Last Updated:5/18/10 7:32 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
lovinlocks said... (10/8/14 6:34 PM) Reply
Hello, This is such a lovely blouse and as everyone agrees the collar is striking. I judge myself an intermediate sewist and simply did not know what to do about the bust area. Just like stated here mine is very large through the bust. I had to fiddle with the waist (make larger). I love this top but have not even worn mine :-( because of the fit. Someone suggested that I add a bust dart. I made mine out of a cotton blend and too think it would be lovlier next time with a thinner fabric. I guess mine can be considered a wearable muslin. Honestly the pattern makers emailed me and suggested I use a thin fabric on the underside of the collar. I will take their suggestion next time :-); it was a good one. I wouldn't adjust the collars and make only two, by the way. I'm telling you the collar is what gives this top a certain je ne se quoi. Thank you for your review and the suggestion about the front dart helping take some of the bust area in. Cheers, Lyric http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com
julierl said... (1/17/11 5:02 PM) Reply
I made this too and it was huge in the bust and not correspondingly proportioned in the hip - so I didn't do all the hip tucks and that was OK. I did, like you, improvise shoulder darts to take up some excess material. And like you, I agree that the collar is very heavy. I used dupioni silk and it is too bulky - could have only done 2 collars and still had a nifty looking blouse- for some fabrics, maybe 3 collars is 'overkill'. Yours is just gorgeous with the topstitching in those lovely colors!!
Ann Smith said... (5/20/10 9:02 PM) Reply
Beautiful stitching detail. How come you keep sewing up the patterns I have on my pile?
Athene said... (5/19/10 7:56 PM) Reply
Such a lovely top and thecollar is really special.
Kathi R said... (5/19/10 10:46 AM) Reply
This is really a statement piece, good job on saving the fit. The collar is outstanding.
eugenia123 said... (5/19/10 10:01 AM) Reply
Very pretty blouse - I love the style and your stitching on the collars is beautiful.
MissCelie said... (5/19/10 8:32 AM) Reply
I love the detail work in the collar though. And, I think you still managed to save it.
JillyBe said... (5/19/10 2:39 AM) Reply
Yay I'm so happy to finally see this blouse reviewed! I really need to move on from Decades of Style patterns (I'm on my 4th one now....) but this one was still on my wish list. Thanks so much for the comments about the fabric and fit. I also didn't realize it had a side zip - does it feel a bit claustrophobic putting it on & off? And chica - waiting for your review too!
sfshaza said... (5/19/10 1:22 AM) Reply
Sue, this is *gor*geous*. What beautiful detailing. After I wipe the drool from my keyboard, I'm running right over to the Decades of Style website to have a looksie. Not to buy today, but perhaps at some future time. :D
FreyaStark said... (5/19/10 1:04 AM) Reply
A pretty and original blouse.
MarshaG. said... (5/18/10 11:02 PM) Reply
Thanks Sue for reviewing this pattern. I really like your color choices in the running stitches! I've been considering this pattern for quite awhile, but was concerned about the difficulty of the multi-collars. I'm glad to hear that they aren't difficult. Also glad to hear that it runs a bit large in the chest area, because that means I probably won't have to do a FBA!
thirteenstitches said... (5/18/10 10:55 PM) Reply
I think it is very pretty and if you don't want it you can send it to me!!! ; )
chicaem29 said... (5/18/10 10:14 PM) Reply
I made this top - finished it a month or two ago - but haven't reviewed it yet. I agree about the collar. I used a pretty lightweight fabric, but interfaced the collar with a very light interfacing... it is very stiff compared to the rest of the shirt, and doesn't lay quite right... but I still love it.
pterion said... (5/18/10 10:07 PM) Reply
What a lovely blouse! Glad you rescued it from the UFO pile. You are certain to get lots of compliments when you wear it.
harmony758 said... (5/18/10 9:10 PM) Reply
I love it! The detail is so unique!
Barbara V said... (5/18/10 9:00 PM) Reply
Ah!...beautiful. I love this pattern and I'm glad to see you've made it up. Your hand work is lovely. Thanks for the heads-up on the fit.
Time4me said... (5/18/10 8:06 PM) Reply
That really is a unique blouse. I really like the hand stitching. Sorry the fit was off on you. Thanks for writing this review as a head up for fabric and fit!

by: Lori V