Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2788 (Womens Twist Tops)

Reviewed by:Immelu

Jalie Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Maternity
**Updated 7/19/15**
I'm just updating this review to show the top that I made this week from this pattern. This pattern, in my opinion is stellar! I've made several version of the top and have worn each one alot.

For this recent version, I used a print from Needle Nook Fabrics in Wichita, KS. The fabric doesn't have quite as much stretch as recommended on the pattern, so I cut a little extra (maybe 1/4 inch each side) on the sleeve. I have also lengthened this pattern by an inch. I love this Jalie pattern and will make it over and over!

Pattern Description: Twist top. I extended the top down to dress length because I wanted to copy the Patagonia Bandha Dress

I have made several versions of this top lately. It is my favorite summer tank top. I don't have pictures of the tops yet, but will update when I do.

Pattern Sizing: Many. The S fits me perfectly.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, except it's a dress!

Were the instructions easy to follow? It's simple...I can whip one of these up in an hour or so.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This is a very flattering design for me. I think it enhances a smaller bust.

Fabric Used: I made this from a really nice, heavier knit from Hancocks. It was back in the activewear section. I wanted a nice substantial knit in basic black to skim over problem areas.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I raise the back, so no tie on this. The tie is cute, but I wanted something a little more classic.

I also stabilized the neckline with clear elastic. I serge it to the bottom of the neck, then turn and zigzag or double needle stitch.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely....I'm on the prowl for more substantial knits like this in different colors.

Conclusion: Great top turns into a great dress!

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

rivergum said... (7/19/15 4:50 PM) Reply
What lovely fabric! Very pretty top.
chenille said... (7/19/15 1:24 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Sewing Amour said... (7/19/15 1:08 PM) Reply
Gorgeous and it fits you perfectly! Thank you for the update.
Immelu said... (6/28/10 9:56 PM) Reply
Hi Frozzy, I made another one last night, so I just went and measured it. The dress is about 45 inches from shoulder to hem...I'll put on about 1 inch hem. I used 60" wide fabric and I was able to lay the pieces out side by side, so it only took a yard and a half or so (45 inches). For reference, I'm about 5'5", maybe 5'6" if I stand up straight.
Frozzy said... (6/28/10 2:50 PM) Reply
How much fabric did it take to do the dress? The size S is the same size I would make, and I like the length you did. I'm trying to use up my stash (ha!), and have a dark brown "swimwear" piece.
Frozzy said... (6/28/10 2:46 PM) Reply
Great idea to make this into a dress. Just purchased this pattern, and have not made it up yet. Now I'm thinking tops AND a dress!
Auntie Allyn said... (6/28/10 8:15 AM) Reply
This looks so stunning on you! I love this pattern and will be lengthening it myself to make into a dress!
Jane S said... (6/27/10 8:41 PM) Reply
Wonderful! I too love this pattern and am thinking of making a dress length as well. Thanks for inspiring me to continue with that plan.
JEF said... (6/27/10 10:30 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! You wear it well too.

by: prttynpnk