Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 117833-1004 (sculpting with flat knits)

Reviewed by:trishapatk

About trishapatkstarstar
MA USA
Member since: 12/10/07
Posted on:6/30/10 12:06 PM
Last Updated:7/1/10 8:07 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 44 people
WildWyoming said... (8/9/10 10:49 AM) Reply
So inspiring, and your level of detail as weell as commentary about the creative process is perfect. Thank you.
solosmocker said... (7/17/10 8:31 AM) Reply
I love that your sweater is truly wearable. So many art pieces are great expressions, but not wearable. Wonderful review and very pretty sweater.
Celeste said... (7/16/10 10:32 PM) Reply
Hmmm... I'm sure thrift stores are full of sweaters waiting to be cut up and "practiced on"...
damazingmama said... (7/16/10 11:10 AM) Reply
truly a work of art. I just love it! Thanks for sharing how it was done so specifically. It makes me want to try it out myself, and helps me know exactly how I can duplicate and get perfect results. Great job!
Longarm said... (7/15/10 11:26 PM) Reply
It was such a pleasure to read your review! You are creative in both realms- design and writing; and very talented as well in your fine sewing skills.
aireal said... (7/15/10 4:17 PM) Reply
One more here - short, because it's all been said so eloquently, just as your sweater is an eloquent statement of your wonderful artistic vision. More! More!
juchal said... (7/15/10 4:06 PM) Reply
Wow!! This is beautiful!
ChristineX said... (7/15/10 11:26 AM) Reply
Great review!
sewknitful said... (7/15/10 10:35 AM) Reply
Beautiful work. I love this cardi!
Barbara V said... (7/13/10 3:51 PM) Reply
Congratulations! It is so beautiful. Lovely work.
Elona said... (7/13/10 3:07 PM) Reply
Wow, this is SO cool! Thanks for all the details of your thought processes as you approached this project.
Moxie Carol said... (7/11/10 4:33 PM) Reply
I have to find a way to share your wonderful review and description of the process with my DMIL who's also an artist. I know it will inspire her in ways I can't imagine and she'll take it in her own direction. Your project really embodies "wearable art". It is going to be tough to choose which piece to vote for!
Jali said... (7/11/10 2:19 AM) Reply
This is lovely not just because the leaves are beautifully made and blend in seamlessly into the design but also because the sweater is extremely wearable. Just lovely!
Paris75008 said... (7/10/10 5:38 PM) Reply
Oh, that is the prettiest little sweater! You are really creative and imaginative. I would never have thought that an old cashmere could turn into something like you produced. Thanks for the informative review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your creative process.
pfaffkj said... (7/10/10 3:02 PM) Reply
Wonderful review. Wonderful project. I love your sweater.
DesignsByDenise said... (7/9/10 2:26 PM) Reply
Gorgeous, and truly inspiring!
Gelbean said... (7/9/10 10:19 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!!
Sew Cool said... (7/8/10 10:15 PM) Reply
I want more. I viewed the hot pink sweater on flicker. What are you doing with that? You have the most elegant taste. I would love to wear your art!!!
Sandi S said... (7/8/10 6:40 PM) Reply
It's gorgeous - very interesting review.
donna mel said... (7/7/10 7:39 PM) Reply
So beautiful! Thanks for the detailed information. Makes me want to ditch my evening plans and get upstairs to my sewing room!
susiestitcher said... (7/7/10 7:59 AM) Reply
Your work is exceptional, beautiful, and inspiring. I really feel the movement of the leaves floating down and alighting on your shoulders. I agree with other posters that wearable art can sometimes be a bit like color blocking gone psycho -- but your interpretation is what art truly should be -- process, emotion, feeling, discovery, and magic. I loved reading every word and taking the journey with you. Thank you for such inspiration.
marec said... (7/6/10 1:32 AM) Reply
I felt like I was on a journey as I read through your review. I love the sweater...I wish I could find the words to explain my emotional response to your work. Just lovely!
drsue said... (7/4/10 0:01 AM) Reply
All I can say is "wow." Very impressive.
PetitePear said... (7/3/10 9:27 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the detailed description/tutorial. I love hearing how those decisions came about. I am in love with your sweater!
Vintage Joan said... (7/3/10 2:24 PM) Reply
Gorgeous -- truly a work of art. :)
AnneM said... (7/2/10 8:26 PM) Reply
See, wearable art isn't a bad thing! Yes, some can be over the top and even tacky, but some can be fantastic. Your sweater is a wonderful example of the latter.
Athene said... (7/2/10 8:13 PM) Reply
Your sweater is lovely. I very much enjoyed reading the review and looking at all the photos. I always enjoy your reviews. The pink sweater on your photostream was also very pretty.
So So said... (7/1/10 6:44 PM) Reply
Wonderful and extremely inspirational. I echo everything TJSews has said. You have made wearable art wearable. Now where are my jumpers?
TJSEWS said... (7/1/10 4:25 PM) Reply
Oh, your sweater is just absolutely beautiful! I love it. Normally, when I hear the term "wearable art," I think of a boxy shapeless garment that has been embellished to death. But that is not what you did! You know how to do wearable art with taste, knowing when to stop and how to make the garment flattering to the figure at the same time. Now that, in my opinion, is TRUE wearable art!
Obrooks770 said... (7/1/10 2:15 PM) Reply
Very pretty! Awesome review!
sewtime said... (7/1/10 1:32 PM) Reply
Beautifully made!!!
Christas said... (7/1/10 12:38 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!
AuntieShel said... (7/1/10 12:26 PM) Reply
Another truly wearable piece of wearable art!!! This is exquisite and thank you so much for sharing your creative process with us. I used to get upset when something I was making did not turn out like I envisioned it, but am learning that the idea is just a jumping off point and you have to let it go where it wants from there. Thank you so much for this fabulous review. The voting is going to be unbelievably hard for this contest.
Ann Smith said... (7/1/10 11:36 AM) Reply
Wonderful and inspiring to follow your creative process. Delightful end result.
kathleencramer said... (7/1/10 10:22 AM) Reply
Wow! What a great transformation! Nice job.
Ciclista said... (7/1/10 10:16 AM) Reply
Awesome review - loved learning about your design evolution!! And what a gorgeous sweater!
Patti B said... (7/1/10 9:49 AM) Reply
Gorgeous result and fascinating process. Thanks for sharing it and all the photos.
Elizabeth made this said... (7/1/10 9:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I enjoyed reading about your process.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (7/1/10 8:55 AM) Reply
It's marvelous and inspiring. Sometimes our most interesting work comes from using only the material we have on hand. I love the color contrast of the thread.
Woolygal said... (7/1/10 8:50 AM) Reply
This is truly art. Kudos.
Diane333 said... (7/1/10 8:39 AM) Reply
I love your creation and your informative review.
cindyann said... (7/1/10 8:31 AM) Reply
Fantastic review and lovely art. I very much enjoyed reading about your creation.
Jane S said... (7/1/10 6:58 AM) Reply
Wow, love the final result and so enjoyed reading about how you got there. I too shudder sometimes at wearable art as an idea but your sweater is fabulous...and artistic. Bravo!
Jolet said... (7/1/10 6:50 AM) Reply
I like the result. Beautiful autumn sweater. What an effort did you put into this project!
JillyBe said... (7/1/10 2:21 AM) Reply
LOVE those leaves! Thanks so much for sharing your process, and what a perfect use for a recycled sweater.
sewtime said... (6/30/10 10:17 PM) Reply
Beautifully made, so delicate and pretty!
slvrsage said... (6/30/10 9:39 PM) Reply
Love this sweater! I really enjoyed reading about your process, it resonated with me. I am a little unclear about how you did the thread border on the neckline, but love the effect.
cboots said... (6/30/10 9:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for a wonderful review; the sweater is lovely!
thirteenstitches said... (6/30/10 8:34 PM) Reply
Lovely!
lamstu said... (6/30/10 7:00 PM) Reply
Not boring to me at all, but well-written and understandable. Thanks for sharing your process and your sweater is lovely. I'm also wondering what I should do with some too big sweaters sitting in the "inspiration bin?"
Karendee said... (6/30/10 4:35 PM) Reply
What a wonderful review and final artistic sweater. I loved your review; every little detail was interesting. I'm now off to the closet to see what the moths have done to some older clothes. I hope to have some modicum of success.
Aroura said... (6/30/10 1:14 PM) Reply
What a great review! I wasn't bored reading the whole thing at all, it was fascinating. Beautiful work, I love the leaves. I'm amazed you did this with an old, RTW, remodeled sweater!
ryansmumAria said... (6/30/10 1:02 PM) Reply
I do relate to projects at some point taking a life of their own and somehow magically tells you what direction in needs to go in and then you are surprised at how your vision converges with it's own... I have also tried to explain it to others and finally decided it was "magic". I know I couldn't have come up with it on my own... I really loved reading your desciption~ you have an artist's heart and soul and your work is magical. I am in awe of your talent and you inspire me to be more. Thank you for sharing!
vwgrant said... (6/30/10 12:59 PM) Reply
Lovely work, Trishapatk! Keep the commentary coming on the process!

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King